Opeth's most anticlimatic moments

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
I would have to say the biggest one is near the end of 'The Night and the Silent Water'. There is a huge buildup than spans the entire second half of the song, yet right near the limit of the peak, it just breaks into some acoustic ditty. I think that was one of the most disappointing things I'd ever heard, musically.

Also, a big party-pooper was the end of the 'Twilight Is My Robe' solo. The solo is insane, frenzied, energetic and going hard and it just immediately breaks into this slower harmonized part, which holds little to no relevance to the solo segment. That hurts my musical erection every time.

How about you?

" To Bid You Farewell "

The song is slow to begin with , starts going somewhere and never seems to get there, at most it builds up to something that goes nowhere lol. But i think its apart of the song ,as maybe the you do bid this person farewel? i dunno still one of my faves but leaves me unsatisfied.

Im going to go with the piano part after the Leper Affinity, it's just such a heavy and great song, but that piano part just bores the hell out of me.

When is a great song, filled with ups and downs, extremely weird harmonies and acoustic passages. My favourite is at minute 6, I feel however that the acoustic part there does not get what it deserves and is cut shortly by Mike's ".. and I cry" which I don't care for.

The intro to The Moor is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long. I love this song but this god damn introduction.... I try to skip it but then I miss that nice acoustic riff....

bangadrian said:
i agree completely, i think that song starts out so good, and then when it gets heavy it loses momentum FAST.
I used to think this about the distorted guitar parts in To Bid you Farewell AND Face of Melinda. They'd just ruin the beautiful cleanness of the songs. Now I don't mind, and they just add to the emotion and atmosphere.

Evil Ernie said:
The intro to The Moor is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long. I love this song but this god damn introduction.... I try to skip it but then I miss that nice acoustic riff....
This one fucks with my head... about half the time it bores the hell out of me, but sometimes it just seems to fit perfectly, build this brooding tension that's released when the heavy part comes in. Holy fuck, once the first distorted riff hits..that song's just amazing.

I think it's really beautiful, it ends the song with an nice atmospheric felling and all... but hell, it's boring o_O at every moment I'm sure Bleak is gonna kick my ass but the piano keeps playing a few notes again and again... and again...

Anyway, back to the topic.

I'd say when Credence leads to Karma... I mean, Credence's a wonderful song, and it's followed by this, err, brutal and noisy thing that is Karma's intro... :erk:

the heavy part in dirge for november ruins it...the intro and the outro are well done tho

also i dont like the outro the leper affinity it sounds like just some random notes played on a piano in slow tempo to me...

It's there to create a contrast with the rest of the song. Most of the song is really brutal, and then at the end there's this piano bit that's really peaceful that seems to reflect on the rest of the song.

It's not anticlimactic though, because the climax has already happened with the awesome guitar riff (u know the one). Look upon the piano part as 'cleaning up', if you will.
the one in the middle is just one of their typical accoustic interludes, whereas the piano outro is something else.

xxChaoticManifestoxx said:
Black Rose Immortal...even if it's one of the best songs in their courier. When Mike whispers "Black Rose Immortal..." I thought the song would finish, then it goes on with an acoustic thing and I was like, W00t?!

My thoughts exactly...
without the "w00t"