opeths next album

Morgour

Knight of Gondor
Nov 6, 2002
mercia
Visit site
needs to be fucking dark and mysterious, dark and mysterious with atmospherics like MAYH, without steven wilson, thats how it needs to be!

Black_paragon said:
it should be a jazz fusion album mixing elements of jungle and latino hip hop, with french rap and german chart pop.
Maybe just the first two in that list...

Actually, Still Life's story was much stronger than MAYH, imo, so they should try something more SL-esque, with the jazy parts in full force, drums up front, and no SW.

Morningrise's instrumentation would be nice, with a little interlude like on BWP or Orchid.

I don't think Opeth ever made an album regarding the wishes of the fans. And they did bloody well so far (also with Wilson). So I'd just let them do their own thing and see what comes out. It will definitly be stunning as usual. (and even beyond your wishes)

anonymousnick2001 said:
.......and no SW.
No Spontaneous Wood!!!? :eek:

HEATHEN!!! :yell:

I've gotten *SW* with all the new Opeth albums. :oops:

As to the topic... as long as they choose to keep 'evolving' their style..... anythings fine with me. :)

Midwinter_melancholY said:
I don't think Opeth ever made an album regarding the wishes of the fans. And they did bloody well so far (also with Wilson). So I'd just let them do their own thing and see what comes out. It will definitly be stunning as usual. (and even beyond your wishes)
Strongly agreed.

They shouln´t do anything resembling their prior work, that´s what kills a band!

I agree though that it would be nice with a truly doomy and gloomy album.

Well, from things Mike has said the new one is going to be pretty brutal, but he has also said he wants to do something involving the occult. So I smell an epic, brutal, concept album in the vein of MAYH, but the music will probobly sound closest to deliverance.(well... cause it's the last thing they did!)

Though I'd hope for a SL/BWP like sound with the long lost guitar counterpoint and crazy bass stuff of Morningrise era... I can dream can't I?

They should get Fleming Rassmussan to produce it.

and it should be 500 billion hours long.

They should get Bob Rock to produce it, and make it a really angry record, with innovative drum sounds. o_O

Failing that, just do what they always do and record a fucking classic metal album. With or without SW - I thought he only really helped out with the acoustic sections anyway????

TakinTheMusicBack said:
They should get Bob Rock to produce it, and make it a really angry record, with innovative drum sounds. o_O

Failing that, just do what they always do and record a fucking classic metal album. With or without SW - I thought he only really helped out with the acoustic sections anyway????

Because of Bob Rock, Metallica went from Trash to Mainstream Rock ... he shall be killed!

The following is not what I like, but what I actually *guess* will happen on the next album:

- A continuation of the extreme, but more melodic (towards black metal)

- Shorter songs, as Opeth are realizing how few songs they can play live which leads to predictable sets

- An album title referring to obscure band or song title

- More clean vocals than death growls :(