opeths next album

Does it have to deal with the occult? What's wrong with the poetic, love/death oriented stuff they're doing now. An occult/Satanic themed album would not be something I'd support.

To be fair, an album with every song suddenly praising the Lord would not be good either.

I wouldnt mind if they got someone new to do their next album. I think it would be better off because it would obviously give them a different sound just like they have always been doing. Hopyfully they dont do anything similar to deliverance/damnation... just stick to the 4-6 heavy songs and 2 soft ones or something. Other than that, I hope they just be "Opeth" and make a good album :Smug:

They should combine the best parts of BWP and Orchid/Morninrise and throw in some surprises.... with or without SW, i don't care, but the production better be good like SW's production. No shitty black metal production, please...

Only thing I really hope is they won't ruin it by rushing. Mike should spend some time just with his wife, and meanwhile Peter could try to get some ideas.

How about the Peter Frampton talking guitar, but with Mike growling into it? That would sound badass. Seriously. I know they'll come up with a few surprises. I don't want two half hour songs. The great thing about BWP was that there were six heavy songs. I would like to see songs just a little shorter. More in the 7-9 minute range and less at 10+. As we saw in D1, length=repitition.

Dangerblade said:
They'll make whatever they feel like making. Search for my "Opeth - Selling Out" thread from like a year and a half ago to read some of Mikael's thoughts on who he makes music for.
Finding... I do not. :ill:

EDIT: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26327

Mikael Åkerfeldt said:
This was a hot potato...

Opeth selling out?
I think you really gotta know us in person to see that Opeth + the words "selling out" don't match.

Some people don't think about that we've been going for over 13 years now. "Orchid" was done 8 years ago. Almost exactly even. We have some fans who have grown with us and therefore can accept whatever changes we make in our music. That's when the communication works. We have never, I repeat never ever kissed up to anyone to sell more records...no labels, fans...never. We do it for ourselves, always have. We have a label that's doing a great job promoting our music, we have a manager that's taking care of the buisness side, we have a agency that's booking our gigs. But even without this, if we were a cellar band that only rehearsed we'd sound the same. Can you understand that we haven't had any outside influence?

Our label/manager/agency have Opeth - the product they can sell.
But what we, the members of the band are still only interested in the same thing - music. We've been branded the worst buisness men in the industry...why - because we don't give a fuck about stuff like that.

If you're shooting accusations at someone you gotta aim for the right spot. Especially in this case.
Spare me bullshit like this, please.

Mike

occult doesnt have to mean satanic.. least i hope they dont do satanic shit, id lose alot of respect for that. but telling stories is fine, u can tell theological stories without it having anything to do with satanism.

I love this magic thing with producers. They must really be the ones writing all the music. I mean Bob Rock was clearly the reason metallica sold out, and Wilson is obviously the sole reason that Opeth has changed. Why dont bands start writing their own music?

Lethal01 said:
I love this magic thing with producers. They must really be the ones writing all the music. I mean Bob Rock was clearly the reason metallica sold out, and Wilson is obviously the sole reason that Opeth has changed. Why dont bands start writing their own music?

Are you really that stupid or are you just acting it?