Opinions: Best/worst cannibal corpse?

May 24, 2021
Jeez, they have a library of albums...the song "Fucked with a knife" is definitely their best song imo, and their first album is great. I'm wondering because there's a certain segment of people who think they ruined their music, some attribute it to Chris Barnes leaving the band, but i think it's more complicated than that, as Gore Obsessed is a great album.

How do you rank cannibal corpse's music? Old stuff better, new stuff better?

Reactions: Lynnie
best album from them is Butchered at Birth
the chris barnes era is the most consistent and caps off with The Bleeding which is an amazing album, but considering how that dummy went and made SFU i think cannibal corpse is better with out him
the corpse grinder era put out some great stuff, Torture is my second favorite CC album
super fucking dirty bass tone on that album

Reactions: CiG and zerostatic
Tomb Of The Mutilated is easily their best work (and no, I'm not saying that because Hammer Smashed Face is on there), and the Chris Barnes era has the most.... I don't know "gorey" and "horror-movie" like stuff to them. It feels like after The Bleeding they kinda drifted away from the whole "disgusting gore" concepts, which sucks.

That's not to say their post-Barnes era is bad, I think Violence Unimagined and Evisceration Plague are genuine masterpieces of Death Metal.

Reactions: zerostatic
I prefer Corpsegrinder over Barnes and would say the best albums from the Barnes era are The Bleeding and Tomb of the Mutilated. For Corpsegrinder I consider Galleries of Suicide, Vile, and Red Before Black to be the weaker albums and Bloodthirst, Gore Obsessed, and The Wretched Spawn the best.

It feels like after The Bleeding they kinda drifted away from the whole "disgusting gore" concepts, which sucks.

Well yeah because Barnes was their lyricist and dictated a lot of their early aesthetic. It's not a feeling it was a literal complete change from The Bleeding to Vile which had every member contribute to the lyrics for the first time.

I'm wondering because there's a certain segment of people who think they ruined their music, some attribute it to Chris Barnes leaving the band, but i think it's more complicated than that, as Gore Obsessed is a great album.

It was essential that they replace Barnes, as anybody who is familiar with Six Feet Under knows, he devolved into an absolutely dogshit vocalist and I can't even imagine how shit Cannibal Corpse would have eventually sounded with that barking dog dickhead still on the mic. The Barnes-era was a special thing but ultimately had a very short shelf life. Maybe Vile would have been good with him on it (half the album was written with him in mind and he even recorded some demos of some tunes before he left) but onward into the late 90's and early 00's? He would have destroyed that band.

Just listen to how terrible he sounded by 2003.

Then compare that to how Corpsegrinder sounded in 2004. Worlds apart. Anybody who says Corpsegrinder ruined Cannibal Corpse and they should have kept Barnes around is fucking delusional.

How do you rank cannibal corpse's music?
  1. The Bleeding
  2. Tomb of the Mutilated
  3. Butchered at Birth
  4. Eaten Back to Life
  5. Gallery of Suicide
  6. Bloodthirst
  7. Vile
  8. Torture
  9. The Wretched Spawn
  10. Gore Obsessed
  11. Kill
  12. Violence Unimagined
  13. A Skeletal Domain
  14. Evisceration Plague
  15. Red Before Black

Last edited:
Love Cannibal Corpse, particularly butchered at birth, evisceration plague, the wretched spawn, and the bleeding

The Wretched Spawn is the album that made me take CC seriously. Before seeing the making of DVD for that album I always dismissed them due to the over-the-top gore. Love the title track on Evisceration Plague, a top ten CC song. :kickass:

Jeez, they have a library of albums...the song "Fucked with a knife" is definitely their best song imo, and their first album is great. I'm wondering because there's a certain segment of people who think they ruined their music, some attribute it to Chris Barnes leaving the band, but i think it's more complicated than that, as Gore Obsessed is a great album.

How do you rank cannibal corpse's music? Old stuff better, new stuff better?

I love there music,I have a lot of there songs that are my favorite :) https://open.spotify.com/playlist/68ukqrIzbLphFkpvhBw6HX?si=JV8dlhPOQne9Ahk1WxO_9Q

Well yeah because Barnes was their lyricist and dictated a lot of their early aesthetic. It's not a feeling it was a literal complete change from The Bleeding to Vile which had every member contribute to the lyrics for the first time.

It was essential that they replace Barnes, as anybody who is familiar with Six Feet Under knows, he devolved into an absolutely dogshit vocalist and I can't even imagine how shit Cannibal Corpse would have eventually sounded with that barking dog dickhead still on the mic. The Barnes-era was a special thing but ultimately had a very short shelf life. Maybe Vile would have been good with him on it (half the album was written with him in mind and he even recorded some demos of some tunes before he left) but onward into the late 90's and early 00's? He would have destroyed that band.

Then compare that to how Corpsegrinder sounded in 2004. Worlds apart. Anybody who says Corpsegrinder ruined Cannibal Corpse and they should have kept Barnes around is fucking delusional.

1. The Bleeding
  2. Tomb of the Mutilated
  3. Butchered at Birth
  4. Eaten Back to Life
  5. Gallery of Suicide
  6. Bloodthirst
  7. Vile
  8. Torture
  9. The Wretched Spawn
  10. Gore Obsessed
  11. Kill
  12. Violence Unimagined
  13. A Skeletal Domain
  14. Evisceration Plague
  15. Red Before Black

Tomb of the mutilated my favorite:) Red before black have not really gotten into.
I love Evisceration Plague,The Bleeding and butchered at birth

1. The Bleeding
  2. Tomb of the Mutilated
  3. Butchered at Birth
  4. Eaten Back to Life
  5. Gallery of Suicide
  6. Bloodthirst
  7. Vile
  8. Torture
  9. The Wretched Spawn
  10. Gore Obsessed
  11. Kill
  12. Violence Unimagined
  13. A Skeletal Domain
  14. Evisceration Plague
  15. Red Before Black

lol @ Red Before Black being bottom last. Such a good album replete with incredible riffs and tracks. The title track being a great example, man.

lol @ Red Before Black being bottom last. Such a good album replete with incredible riffs and tracks. The title track being a great example, man.
Where do you rank it in relation to the rest of CC's albums? I have it at the bottom with Skeletal Domain, Vile and Gallery of Suicides.

Vile and Gallery of Suicides.

:eek:

Not that I give a shit what a Trivium fan thinks of my CC ranking lmfao but actually, I'd bump their newest album all the way down to the bottom now. Did not age well with me at all so far.

I've only heard about half of their albums, but Tomb of the Mutilated is the most complete, followed closely by Butchered at Birth. I think the Bleeding's production is a bit too polished for their sound. I agree Barnes's voice turned to shit, but he sounded great on those early albums. Saw them live last week and Corpsegrinder still sounds excellent.

Reactions: zerostatic and CiG
Completely hate their lyrics and imagery, but they have some good albums. The Bleeding and Butchered at Birth are GREAT. I actually find it odd that I rarely see those albums (or any CC) on people's lists of Top DM albums and I wonder why that is. Does their more widespread popularity (for a DM band) work against them?

Barnes era is better but I've heard some of the early Fisher stuff and it's still pretty good.

Concerning Barnes's vocals, I would argue that the poor performances he has issued from time to time have less to do with physical inability than with stylistic choice as he's mentioned in interviews (at least up until recently).

Barnes incorporated transitions into some shouted/clean stuff on Warpath but it wasn't because his voice was giving out. True Carnage followed up with one of his most guttural vocal performances.

He added some weird punkish influences on Bringer of Blood and used a shoutier style that was no good. He was, however, still killing it live around that time.

He also had better studio performances later on, at least up through 2013

<- underrated album that's better than the ones around it.
<- he sounds killer on Unburied too.

So, I think, at least physically Barnes could have continued to perform well with CC for another 20ish years. It would've been interesting to see if the other members could have kept him in line as far as his stylistic choices on his vocals and his personality, but it sounds like personality clashes were a big reason for the split in the first place.

:lol: I agree, but it's just an observation I made going through the SFU catalog.

He has some weird personality quirks and I think being "the guy" has allowed things to go to his head sometimes. There are a lot of people who will tell him that stuff sounds good.