Opinions: Worst and best lyricists.

Peter Steele has glorious lyrical moments and also shitty ones...
Type O negative has tremendous lyrics!!

Good lord we have some bad ones being mentioned as good. Jonas Renske's lyrics can be dreadful and melodramatic. Ghost of the Sun is the best example. That chorus makes me cringe. And Dan Swano's lyrics are pretty stupid too i.e. "Now the princess is they're everything" - k that's fine, if you're in some Disney-sponsored pop band.

Passing bird - katatonia

"she's got black hair...
she has got a black dress
She is pretending that her life's a mess
and I can not rest, with so many worries...
and I can't lie down and say that I'm done."

I know these lyrics sucks, but I dunno why I still like them :S.

And Dan Swano's lyrics are pretty stupid too i.e. "Now the princess is they're everything" - k that's fine, if you're in some Disney-sponsored pop band.

they fit the whole epic story theme without going dragonforce silly (funny enough, the keyboard player in dragonforce wrote the lyrics for the sequel :p but there the lyrics kinda suck)

lol at some of the choices in here...jesper stromblad? seriously? lemmy bad? all of his lyrics are incredibly witty and they sure beat out most of hetfield or mustaine's shit

Good lord we have some bad ones being mentioned as good. Jonas Renske's lyrics can be dreadful and melodramatic. Ghost of the Sun is the best example. That chorus makes me cringe. And Dan Swano's lyrics are pretty stupid too i.e. "Now the princess is they're everything" - k that's fine, if you're in some Disney-sponsored pop band.

Katatonias lyrics are probably my favourite to sing along with while playing guitar, friggin fantastic lyrics to sing to be honest.

say someone better and let me flame him for sucking.

Some Katatonia is good but you can't deny they have their fair share of "I fucked up and my life sux and she left me and im sad" lyrics. And don't worry, I already pretty much accept that most of the lyrics I listen to suck. I like early Tool lyrics for the hate and aggression and Lateralus lyrics for some of the content, and I like a lot of the Beatles lyrics of course. Also my favorite folk artist Townes Van Zandt (eh, its a texas thing) has some pretty moving lyrics. Some Opeth lyrics are kinda cool but its always been more about the vocal quality than the lyrical content for me with them. I like some Jeff Buckley lyrics too.

Okay, Best: Now for simplicities sake, I'm sticking with rock / metal and not just metal in general.
1. Neil Peart of Rush.
2. Can I say Zappa? DARE I say Zappa?
3. Dave Mustaine as the original poster mentioned.
4. I guess if I can't mention Zappa I shold also not be allowed to mention Tom Waites. Even though he is easily regarded as one of the best lyricists in the business. And speaking of the best....
5. Ronnie James Dio. Sure, the guy is still singing about circles and dreams and dragons and kings....but he does so intelligently and passionately. Everyone else who tries to delve into this kind of imagery just ends up looking foolish with cheeze whiz all over his hands.
6. And last but not least..Mikael Akerfeldt.
7. Oh wait! One more! Iron Maiden. Not sure if Harris or Dickenson (sp?) gets the writing credits, but the lyrics to many of their songs are just brilliant (Just listen to Hallowed Be They Name)

Now as to the worst. Where to begin? Where to begin? That Accept guy singing about having his balls to the wall? Hmmmm...no, I think we should start off with Yngwie J. Malmsteen. Malmsteen playing instrumental guitar = Pure masterpiece. Malmsteen playing guitar while hired singer sings words Yngwie wrote when he was 17 = ***cringe*** Come on, man. The lyrics on your albums are just plain embarrasing. Oh sure, Dio can pull it off. But he's a master. And look here, man...your hands are all covered in cheese whiz again. Go wash that crap off.
Pretty much any metal glam band from California during the middle to late 80's. "Oh dude, this has to actually like....rhyme? What a bummer."
Okay I'm going to get a lot of heat over this one but his is just one guys opinion. Robert Plant and Jimmy Page. I WORSHIP Zeppelin. No question that Pagey was one of my dearest and greatest influences growing up. He expanded my musical tsate, my musical repertiore to places I never even knew existed before. But really.....those lyrics. I haven't the faintest idea what a bustle is and if I were to find one in my hedgerow (whatever the hell THAT is) I don't think I would know what to do. Robert says not to be alarmed by this type of behavior. But I think I would ere on the side of caution on that one. I do like some of the dark myhtological imagery they dug up in their lyrics when singing some of their blues songs....you know, as long as they weren't just out and out stealing these lyrics along with the melody. I mean Hell Hounds on my Trail is cool, but "come here woman and squeeze my lemon till the juice runs down my leg?" Really.

Now we get to the band with the WORST lyrics ever penned to paper. And that has to be Kiss. Gene was a brilliant marketer though and made a ton of money from those albums. How? He came up with a target demographic of boys and girls between the ages of 11 and 18. They would buy all the merchandise, the comic books and see the shows. Now the songs for these shows? Loud, very LOUD songs to scare your parents. See the more we scare the parents with the loud music and the face paint and ugly clothes, the more the kids will be into us. But we don't have to waste too much time writing out this drivel on paper. I mean seriously, I was writing better lyrics than "I Want to Rock and Roll all Night" when I was in 7th and 8th grades.

And now to a band that is one of my all time favorites. Someone else beat me to the punch and said they should be listed under both the BEST lyricists and the WORST. I'm a HUGE Type O NEgative fan because (aside from being great musicians) they are able to intermingle their own self depricating and sacriligious humor with some of the most beautiful and haunting melodies you will ever hear. Love those guys. Listen to the "live" album "Origin of the Feces" and compare those songs to later songs like "Christian Woman" "Love Me to Death" "Everything Dies and even the hauntingly happy "My Giflfriends Girlfriend.

Best:

Morrissey
Mark Kozelek
Tom Waits
Jeff Buckley
Jello Biafra
Greg Graffin
Bob Dylan

Best in metal:

Warrel Dane
Aaron Turner
Akerfeldt
Ozzy

I won't bother naming bad lyricists though, that would take 2 centuries to finish.

Concerning Jonas Renkse, I'll admit that some of what he writes seem like bad high school poetry or something, but I appreciate the unusual sincerity and ''sing-along'' quality of his lyrics (as someone already pointed out before).

off the top of my head... the best:

maynard james keenan
mikael akerfeldt
john lennon
paul mccartney
roger waters
bruce dickinson
jim morrison
van morrison
nick drake
michael stipe
lemmy kilmister
dani filth
Except for the Dani Filth reference...that is one DAMN FINE LIST!! Especially sticking Nick Drake, Van Morrison and Roger Waters in there. Just replace Dani with Simon and Garfunkle and you would have damn near pure perfection.

Hmmmm....I'm in the mood to go home now and dig through my i-tunes selections and CD's. I haven't listened to Nick Drake in forever. And that's just shameful.

I like a lot of the Beatles lyrics of course.

Yeah, me too. Especially these.

"He blew his mind out in a car"

"But now these days are gone and Im not so self assured,
Now I find Ive changed my mind Ive opened up the doors."

"When I get to the bottom I go back to the top of the slide
Where I stop and I turn and I go for a ride
Till I get to the bottom and I see you again.
Do you, dont you want me to love you.
Im coming down fast but Im miles above you.
Tell me tell me tell me come on tell me the answer.
Well you may be a lover but you aint no dancer."

"Eleanor Rigby died in the church and was buried along with her name.
Nobody came."

I sometimes listen to Sabaton when I need a modern history class!
I'm surprised I'm the only one who mentioned Trent Reznor. he's like.. good..

Best:
Roger Waters (THE BEST!)
Mikael Akerfeldt
Trent Reznor (I don't care what you say about him)
James Hetfield (though some later albums are shit, he has written some nice lyrics)
Jonas Renkse and Anders Nystrom
Maynard James Keenan
Jeff Buckley
Bruce Dickinson, Steve Harris, Dave Murray and Adrian Smith (even Paul DiAnno)
Robert Plant
Kevin Moore
Jerry Cantrell
Layne Staley
Mike Patton
and last but not least: Martin Gore FTW!

Worst:
Corey Taylor
Alexi Laiho
Marilyn Manson
etc. (too many to name)