Orchid vs. MAYH Update!

driz said:
Hey guys and gals,
About a month ago I asked whether I should get Orchid or MAYH first. I'm a new Opeth fan and I was gonna get both eventually, but i like to get into discs one at a time. Anyways, the majority of you recommended MAYH...alot of you said it wasn't even a difficult decision. Well, I have both now and I listen to both alot and I have to say I think Orchid is significantly better than MAYH...did I miss something? Do I need some more convincing? Why do I think it's by far their worst disc when all the fans and the band love it?
driz
well the fact is, mayh is just simply opeth's best and deepest album; if you don't like it as much as the rest it goes to show you have awful taste and are most likely a complete moron, and your mother should have drowned you as a child. orchid lovers are unanimously recognized to be stupid, ugly cavemen, devoid of original thought and the concept of language, and prone to choke on the small plastic bits from toys; whereas people who like mayh more have been statistically proven to be more intelligent, successful, live longer, and have smoother, shinier, silkier hair without stripping or build-up. honestly, you might as well just go jump off a bridge now and save yourself years of ridicule.

cthulufhtagn said:
well the fact is, mayh is just simply opeth's best and deepest album; if you don't like it as much as the rest it goes to show you have awful taste and are most likely a complete moron, and your mother should have drowned you as a child. orchid lovers are unanimously recognized to be stupid, ugly cavemen, devoid of original thought and the concept of language, and prone to choke on the small plastic bits from toys; whereas people who like mayh more have been statistically proven to be more intelligent, successful, live longer, and have smoother, shinier, silkier hair without stripping or build-up. honestly, you might as well just go jump off a bridge now and save yourself years of ridicule.
That's what everyone tried to say with a bit respect... Now you know it. ;)

Thanks guys..i look forward to listening to mayh more often. What's the underlying storyline of the album you were talking about?
driz

^ well there's this guy and....i can't be bothered to type it out it's a ghost story basically (wooahh, scary)

You can go to my thread 'Opeth interviews' and read it (that interview has 3 parts) It's very interesting and Mike told the full story about MAYH. I know it's loooong as hell, but it's pretty 'productive' if you want to know more about Opeth when 'The Almighty' had 24 and he was a satanic inmature and angry blonde guy with everyone....lol :tickled:
Hope that helps...

\m/ :kickass:

Luz.-

driz said:
Thanks guys..i look forward to listening to mayh more often. What's the underlying storyline of the album you were talking about?
driz

well, someone asked duke ellington what music he thought was best and all he said was "if it sounds good, it is good." which i take to mean that you like what you like and everyone else can fuck off.
but i also find that i go in cycles with opeth albums, so that i will be really into one for a while, or even a particular song and then i move on to another song or album. often, a song or album i wasn't really into will suddenly strike me in a new way and i'll have a new fave.
of course, i still take MAYH over orchid and morningrise, but any objective reasons anyone can give you just don't mean anything...you like what you like. music is not just about technicality, it's also about emotion and other intangibles which can never be quantified.

I think that My Arms, Your Hearse is the better record. To me, it can be best compared to Bethoven compared to Mozart. I'm high.