Orchid

I think Orchid was the last Opeth album I bought, they didn't have it earlier here. First I had problems to get into it 'cause I thought it sounded too much like Morningrise which was my first Opeth album and I'd been listening to it quite a lot. But then one day when I put Orchid playing, I fell in love with it. It's simply amazing, and I've been listening to it a lot lately. And it's almost the same with MAYH. I kinda discovered them again.

Originally posted by ~Zeanra~
First I had problems to get into it 'cause I thought it sounded too much like Morningrise.

I don't share your view here, listen for example "Morningrise"'s basslines and compare them to "Orchid"'s more straightforward feeling. Orchid is maybe the most mainstream album of Opeth, although it's still far away from ordinary metal music. And that album came out in 1995, which is quite incredible for that kind of genius. But, IMO "Orchid" is more direct album with clearer soundstructures and riffs than "Morningrise". However I can't decide, which one is better, but they both rule in their area.

I know, but I don't think that way anymore, that was just my first reaction. I can't compare those two together anymore. True what you said.

I look at some of these old threads... and seem really OLD! I have to go and see how my opinion has changed or not since I posted. Every week, I feel a little bit different than the week before about music. I still feel pretty much the same way about Orchid.

msmiley1.gif

Originally posted by Klemi
Orchid is maybe the most mainstream album of Opeth, although it's still far away from ordinary metal music.
I don't share that view. Opeth's old style is far less capable of being "mainstream" compared to their new style. I'd have to say that Blackwater Park or Still Life would have a tendency to be their most "mainstream" album, although they are not at all. The verse-chorus-verse style of some of their newer songs is one of the main things that leads me to believe this.

Orchid is great. I ignored it for a long time but finally got back into it. I like it over Morningrise.

About the mainstreamness.. you know, I think BWP has less "proper" song structure than Still Life. Thinking back, about every song on there has a chorus (at least musically) halfway through that repeats near the end. Though the songs are so long it's hard to notice that much. On Blackwater, there's more of an endcapping thing, with a beginning part repeating at the end, like in Leper, Drapery, Funeral. I think one of their most mainstream metal songs is actually the title song on BWP, despite being 12 minutes and ending in a completely different place from where it starts. Beside the interlude (Only the hyperactive people can't get around that), it's just pure groove-laden death metal.

Orchid rules. IMHO, it is much better than Morningrise, which everyone here seems to love. To me, the music is so much more cohesive, which helps bring about that epic sense. Morningrise is so meandering and aimless; the "movements" have little to do with each other. In particular, Nectar and The Night and Silent Water don't even really build to anything, while every track on Orchid reaches a finale. In fact, the album as a whole builds to a great conclusion in the last three minutes of The Apostle in Triumph. The finale of Morningrise is ok, but when compared to that of Orchid, the end of To Bid you Farewell is kind of a whimper.

This is my opinion on Orchid (and yes, I've heard it all)

It's their best. Because of the penetrating melodies, the beauty
of these melodies, the perfect mix between brutality and melody,
epic songs (aren't they all), Mikael's voice on this one creates
chills down my spine every time... It is a beautiful album, on my
top 10 list, I'm sure.
How did they ever think of so many different things for 1 album
alone?? Atmosphere is just amazing. After 8 years, I still feel the
same about it..

Orchid seems to have the most going on musically. The guitars are so well layered. When I first started listening to it , I thought the production had too much treble. But now I don't notice it at all. It may be my favorite album now. If not MAYH.

It would be really interesting to hear those songs produced like later ones. But it would kind of break them.

This freakout guitar part in Forest of October is really great, I like it more than this one in Black Rose Immortal (which sounds a bit similar).

And this piano in Silhouette fits so well into the album...

The production kind of shitts me... I've seen the video of Opeth playin back in '96 and they play In Mist She Was Standing... now with the bad quality of the video, the song still sounds infinitely better than the studio because the sound is more 'in-your-face'... but aside from all that, yeah some of my favourite Opeth tracks are on Orchid...

I don't know where you all get 'epic' from... I really don't get that vibe from the album, but nonetheless I think it's very good.