OT: Does DragonForce use fake drums?

MasqueReaper

Paradise Lost...OH SHIT!!
Apr 25, 2004
Roslyn, NY
I've heard a rumor that DragonForce uses fake drums on the new album. I didn't want to believe it at first, cuz that is mega-gay (even Lars never sank that low), but I am not so sure. When you listen to it, you ever notice how every drum hit sounds exactly the same (no volume\tone differences). Compare that drum sound with Jaska's and I think that this argument might hold some water. Every cymbal hit, blast beat, and tom roll sounds EXACTLY the same as if it came from a computer program. Before all you DF fans shit your pants on this forum, I think you should give it a listen and tell me what you think. Again, I cannot prove this, but my ears tell me that those drums may be computer, they are a little too perfect. What do you all think?

Um, do you mean triggers? 90% of pro drummers who do constant double bass work like that use triggers nowadays. Do triggers make a drummer like Nick Barker any less skilled? Of course not. If anything, a higher skill level is required because the triggers pick up every nuance of the hit. It's very easy to get ghost notes if you let the stick bounce on the drum head at all.

Anyway, DragonForce's drumming isn't very hard for anyone with the stamina to play fast like that.

Ben Johnson said:
Um, do you mean triggers? 90% of pro drummers who do constant double bass work like that use triggers nowadays. Do triggers make a drummer like Nick Barker any less skilled? Of course not. If anything, a higher skill level is required because the triggers pick up every nuance of the hit. It's very easy to get ghost notes if you let the stick bounce on the drum head at all.

Anyway, DragonForce's drumming isn't very hard for anyone with the stamina to play fast like that.

Nah man, triggers would be one thing, I'm talking fake computerized drums (every drum\cymbal hit) not just the bass drums. I have seen them live, so I know that the drummer is real (and he isn't too bad, pretty solid). But specifically, I'm talking about fake drums on the album.

I don't know but I doubt it.

Compare the guitar solos in the studio and then live...huge difference. I'm guessing they just use great drums, mics, producer, techniques etc to make them sound good.

<-Warheart-> said:
I don't know but I doubt it.

Compare the guitar solos in the studio and then live...huge difference. I'm guessing they just use great drums, mics, producer, techniques etc to make them sound good.

True, but you can't really fake guitars. I'm not even sure what to believe, but those drums just sound too good to be true, I mean every drum and cymbal hit sounds EXACTLY the same (not true for Bodom, Symphony X, DT, or any other band I can think off). The technology exists now to have an album with totally computerized drums that sound real enough to pass as the real deal. But again, i dunno about DragonForce, I'm not sure...

MasqueReaper said:
True, but you can't really fake guitars. I'm not even sure what to believe, but those drums just sound too good to be true, I mean every drum and cymbal hit sounds EXACTLY the same (not true for Bodom, Symphony X, DT, or any other band I can think off). The technology exists now to have an album with totally computerized drums that sound real enough to pass as the real deal. But again, i dunno about DragonForce, I'm not sure...

Yes, you can fake guitar sounds. Pro tools is so advanced, you wouldn't be able to tell what they're using. I'm not saying DF don't play the guitars in the studio but they certainly do enhance their sound alot. Their live tone/playing is disgusting compared to the studio versions.

Maybe the producer sat and listened to the snare on it's own and normalised the volume on every hit and same for every other part of the kit.

<-Warheart-> said:
Yes, you can fake guitar sounds. Pro tools is so advanced, you wouldn't be able to tell what they're using. I'm not saying DF don't play the guitars in the studio but they certainly do enhance their sound alot. Their live tone/playing is disgusting compared to the studio versions.

Maybe the producer sat and listened to the snare on it's own and normalised the volume on every hit and same for every other part of the kit.

Lol, yeah, their sound is total asshole live, I though that Herman Li was the only thing that made admission worth the price. The bassist was replaced since the new album came out and he sucks (plays with a pick instead of fingers, and just sucked in general). The second guitar player is a total phony, he is such a studio lackey it isnt even funny, I'd be surprised if he played 3 notes right the whole show, especially that bullshit pick tapping thing he always does, you cant even hear live. The singer was a flamer, he kept letting the second guitar player stick his headstock between his legs (omg, so gay). The keyboardist is okay, definitely missed a lot of parts, or layed out completely at times that are prominent on the album. The drummer was good i must admit.

Either way, they are such a studio band, all of those crazy sounds on the album are not recreatable live. I guess that's why I wouldn't put it past them to have computerized drums on the album (besides the fact that every hit sounds exactly the same).

I agree about Sam Totman, definitely. Although I think Herman is just as bad. He can move his fingers faster but I still don't think he plays as well as the albums, but I think musically, ZP and Dave are great, actually my fave members of DF. I don't care for bassists/keyboard players except Janne.

But again, I don't think they're programmed drums, I think I've seen a video of Dave playing/recording in the studio.