OT: Favorite cartoons

Rose Immortal

Spirit of Hope
Jun 19, 2004
Since we kinda hijacked the "Are prog fans hostile" thread, I figured I'd give this discussion a place of its own.

So...what are your favorite cartoons?

The old X-Men was amazing, and I also thought Catdog was pretty funny, too. The "cat supremacist" episode especially was funny AND really freaky. Maybe it made some kids think twice...

ARTHUR!!! I love this show... you know, the aardvark with the yellow sweater.
Old Tom and Jerry
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Old school Johnny Bravo
My Little Pony

I got into Samurai Jack, Invader Zim, and old faves are Macross, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, even older faves Space Cruiser Yamato, Tom and Jerry, Bugs(of course), Speed Racer, Johnny Quest, and Superfriends.

Rockos Modern Life. imo that was the predecesor to the shithole of a show that is now called spongebob. Kids these days talk about spongebob all the time but when an old timer like me mentions rocko the little shits go "huh?" I have no idea why they pulled rocko off the air that was such an awesome show.

oh yes and old x-men

wayne the goblin/robot said:
Rockos Modern Life. imo that was the predecesor to the shithole of a show that is now called spongebob. Kids these days talk about spongebob all the time but when an old timer like me mentions rocko the little shits go "huh?" I have no idea why they pulled rocko off the air that was such an awesome show.

oh yes and old x-men

I liked the original Nicktoons which were:

Doug
Rugrats
Ren and Stimpy

I hated Rocko, I saw that one episode where he got a credit card and I thought it was so stupid. Doug was bad when it moved to ABC. Rugrats got bad once that new kid moved in.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Family Guy yet, even though I don't watch it.

Lol Rose Immortal. I was thinking of doing this as well.

Mine are:
X-Men
Spider-Man
Gargoyles
Transformers
Beast Wars
Gi-Joe
Captain Planet (GOO PLANET!!! :tickled: )
Dexter's Laboratory

and of course Simpsons, Family Guy, and South Park!

Family Guy is the funniest fucking cartoon I've ever seen, South Park comes in 2nd...The Critic was really good too. and does anyone remember Duckman? Damn that was a funny one...I want them to put it on DVD already!

South Park
Johnny Quest (original)
Speed Racer
ALL of the old Tom & Jerry
Marine Boy
Sealab 2020
Gigantor
Clutch Cargo
Space Angels
MOST of the old Looney Tunes, especially the one's that aren't "pc" by today's standards

The last few make me feel REALLY old!

Transformers (old stuff)
He-Man (old, but the new is good too)
Voltron (Lions)
Silver Hawks
Thundercats
MASK
old X-Men (despite they make Wolverine such a damn pansy on that show)
Spiderman
Star Blazers

Beelzebub said:
I hated Rocko, I saw that one episode where he got a credit card and I thought it was so stupid.

I didn't normally like Rocko...but there WAS one episode that had me rolling on the floor: the one where he had to go to the DMV. I can't set foot in that place without having to hold in a laugh, anymore. It was SO true to life, in a scary way. ;)

Rockos Modern Life.
Rock on, Wayne.

I'd have to agree with:
South Park (the episode with the hippie jam band festival was amazing)
Family Guy
The Simpsons (the mid and late 90's stuff was genius)
Gargoyles - The most metal cartoon ever. :headbang:
X-Men also kicked ass
Ren and Stimpy! Oh man, me and my dad love watching it.

Does Aqua Teen Hunger Force count as a cartoon?

OfSinsAndShred said:
Rock on, Wayne.
Gargoyles - The most metal cartoon ever. :headbang:

What made those cartoons great were not the visuals, but the story and the characters that lived those stories. I remember it would take several months to complete one story in which at the end of every episode I would wait for the "scenes from next week's episode."

Do you remember the long awaited love between Goliath and Eliza? I remember once Goliath flew to Eliza porch to tell her how he feels and he sees her kissing another guy. He cries the entire night on her porch until the sun comes up and he turns to stone while still crying. Beautiful....just fucking beautiful.

There is no cartoon today worth watching that tells great tales. I would love to have Gargoyles on a DVD so I can pass it on to my child.

This pic brings back so many memories...
elisa6.jpg

-sigh

Rose Immortal said:
I never watched Gargoyles...sounds like I really missed out. :(

Is it being rerun anywhere?

No, but look what i just found !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ref=sr_1_1/102-9547174-7864965?v=glance&s=dvd

And yes, you really did miss out. I guarantee you that you will love this show. You MUST buy season 1.

Here is a description I find quite accurate

Since its 1994 debut, Disney's animated series Gargoyles has attracted a sophisticated viewership for its unusually thoughtful storyline, mature characters, literary allusions (Arthurian lore, Shakespeare), and parade of celebrity voiceovers. Part Gothic fantasy and part contemporary urban drama, Gargoyles begins with a brutal, 10th-century battle over a Scottish castle, which is guarded at night by winged gargoyles who become flesh in the dark (but who return to stone by day). Under the leadership of Goliath (Keith David), the gargoyles ward off an attack by Vikings, yet are met with disdain by those they protect, including a princess and her advisors. Such is the gargoyles' lot until they are betrayed by a friend and turned to stone for a thousand years. Rescued by a billionaire named Xanatos (Jonathan Frakes)--who breaks the spell by purchasing the castle and relocating it atop his Manhattan skyscraper--Goliath and his friends slowly adapt to the modern world and figure out whom they can trust. In a moving season finale, they adopt New York City as the home they vow to protect. With a certain urgency in every episode, tangled relationships between Goliath and his several allies and enemies (as well as characters who belong somewhere between), and a vocal cast full of Star Trek types (Michael Dorn, Nichelle Nichols, Marina Sirtis, among others), Gargoyles has great appeal to thinking viewers of any age. Special features include the original show pitch by series creator Greg Weisman. --Tom Keogh

Gargoyles is CLASSIC.

my fav cartoons are that and the other 90's and 80's classics.

stuff like:

Voltron
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
the original Ninja Turtles
GI Joe
the original Batman
the original Superman
the original Spiderman
the original X-men
transformers
looney toons.
... and so on.

there was also this King Arthur one that i thought ruled. it was so metal.

Rose Immortal said:
I didn't normally like Rocko...but there WAS one episode that had me rolling on the floor: the one where he had to go to the DMV. I can't set foot in that place without having to hold in a laugh, anymore. It was SO true to life, in a scary way. ;)

I also saw that episode where Heifer wanted to be a nudist. >_<

I remember back in the day the Disney channel was part of premium cable, and every once in a while the cable company would have those "free preview" weekends and all I did was watch Disney channel programming, like Darkwing Duck, Duck Tales, Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, Fraggle Rock, etc.

When I think about it, I watched more live-action shows than cartoons. Among my favorites were:
Ghostwriter
Hey Dude
Legends of the Hidden Temple
Salute Your Shorts
GUTS
Double Dare
more that I can't think up of off the top of my head.