The diversity of Opeth's audience

Jul 28, 2008
Ft Worth, TX
The other day, my wife and I were out shopping and I was wearing my Opeth T shirt. A kid came up to me, who must have been no more then 18 or 19, and he commented on my shirt, saying that they are one of his favorite bands. We talked music for a few minutes and he seemed genuinely amazed that an old fart like me could be into such a cool band (Especially since he listed off several of his other favorite bands and the names elicited nothing but blank stares from me for the most part. He was obviously a death metal fan and that’s something that I’ve never been into).

That made me think about how, as far as extreme metal bands go, Opeth must have one of the most diverse audiences ever. I’m 39 and a business professional. I listen to a lot of prog, prog metal (Bands like Dream Theater, Symphony X, Kamelot) and I also listen to a lot of the metal bands I followed back in high school (Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Sabbath). I also listen to a lot of other genres like classical and jazz (Miles Davis was the coolest musician who ever lived IMHO) but that’s beside the point.

Do you guys personally know a lot of other Opeth fans? If so, do they come from different backgrounds musically? It just seems to me that it would be pretty difficult to categorize a “typical” Opeth fan. Much more difficult then it would have been to have categorized a “typical” Megadeth fan back in 1985for example (I don’t remember too many 39 year olds being into them back in the day). You have your death metal fans, your prog fans, your old metal heads like me etc etc. Of course, the diversity of their audiences can be directly attributed to the diversity found in their music (and in their many different influences).

Anyways, just an observation which I found kinda interesting. I’ve not been to an Opeth show yet, but I can imagine that there’s a pretty diverse audience from young kids to us old guys. Anyone else notice this?

I had the exact same thought when I saw them at Metal Rock Fest last weekend. I spoke music with a two guys who stood next to me, one of them being a 16 year old boy totally into death metal, and the other one being a man in the thirties who listened mostly to prog rock, jazz and blues.

A worker of some Warhammer shop (my friend dragged me into there), who looked about late 20's, commented on my Opeth hoodie once. He seemed mostly into metal when we briefly talked music. Myself being a 16 year old kid who's into metal, prog, folk (and many subgenres) would suggest that Opeth do appear to have a very wide audience indeed.

I listen to meshuggah, opeth, a little of DT, miles davis, allan holdsworth, pat metheny, shakti, john mclaughlin, deftones, and that is pretty much it.
edit: forgot about nin!

i listen to a lot of metal, a lot of folk and a lot of prog, i have friends who are into just plain death metal and grind who like them, and i have friends who just love prog and a bit of metal and love opeth. they have a pretty diverse following

opeth are one of my favourite bands, even though im not into metal very much, im more of a jazz, rock listener i guess. pat metheny, fuck yes he rules. i dont even play any metal, but i love playing acoustic and i guess thats what interested me most in opeth

i have friends that are very much jazz oriented that like, or at least respect opeth, but on the other hand i have metal friends that dont like opeth at all.

Fuck, I listen to every metal genre there is (although I'm not a big fan of power metal), I also listen to a lot of prog rock, and a lot of ambient/acoustic stuff.

Portnoy of DT once said that prog fans were the most open minded music fans in the world, and I think it's this "prog" element that makes most Opeth fans a little more open minded then fans of other genres. I've never understood the whole "Give me (Insert genre here) or give me death" attitude. Not even back in the day when almost everyone I knew was yelling out "Give me metal or give me death!" My friends certainly didn't understand how I could go from Metallica and Megadeth to Miles, Thelonious and Coltrane without hardly blinking an eye.

But apart from being open minded, I always wonder what paths most Opeth fans took to start listening to them. If they were fans of Dream Theater type prog metal and started listening to Opeth because of that aspect (Like I did), or if they were fans of black metal before finding them (and maybe that kinda opened their mind to more prog type stuff) or if it was something completely different.

Portnoy of DT once said that prog fans were the most open minded music fans in the world, and I think it's this "prog" element that makes most Opeth fans a little more open minded then fans of other genres. I've never understood the whole "Give me (Insert genre here) or give me death" attitude. Not even back in the day when almost everyone I knew was yelling out "Give me metal or give me death!" My friends certainly didn't understand how I could go from Metallica and Megadeth to Miles, Thelonious and Coltrane without hardly blinking an eye.

But apart from being open minded, I always wonder what paths most Opeth fans took to start listening to them. If they were fans of Dream Theater type prog metal and started listening to Opeth because of that aspect (Like I did), or if they were fans of black metal before finding them (and maybe that kinda opened their mind to more prog type stuff) or if it was something completely different.

like i said before, i never was into metal before i heard opeth and i guess they sparked that kind of interest for me. when i first heard opeth was when i was heavily into jazz and pretty much exclusively listened to it. although that period is over now i still remember it and all the fun times i had

I feel truly sorry for people who stumble through life with that kind of narrow scope, be it for music, art, food, friends or whatever. It really is sad to think about how much cool shit they miss out on simply because they're too insecure to broaden their horizons and challenge themselves once in a while!

I can't even begin to contemplate not enjoying stuff like Steely Dan, Theolonious & Coltrane (Live at Carnegie FTW! :worship:), Chopin and Frank Zappa as much as I do heavy stuff like Opeth, Testament, Ihsahn & Maiden for example.

I listen to anything I feel sounds good. The only things I don't listen to our *most* rap and country, and "satanic" music.

Opeth is my favorite band musically, but I also love P.O.D., Disciple, Demon Hunter, and other Christian bands.

I'm sure that'll be frowned upon, but to each his own.

Hell yes, that is just one of the qualities that make Opeth amazing; they can appeal to so many different people. Its not Death Metal, its music for musicians and music lovers alike.

I have at least 10 people around the age of 30-40+ comment of opeth apparrel that I've worn. A few times I've assumed they were Scandanavian based on their accents, others appeared likely be homeless drug addicts, and others seemed like down to earth, regular adults. Diverse audience indeed. My parents have always liked Opeth as well, minus the growls and their over 50. Damnation tends to hit a sweet spot with anybody.

My music tastes are pretty wide. I have kinda taken on the 'genre is a dead word' attitude. I don't really think that any type of music is any more holy than the rest, but instead try and focus on the music itself, paying attention to the quality of the content within rather than what or who it sounds like. I believe that any genre of music can be done well if the musicians themselves are good enough.

I'm not your typical metal fan, lets just say that, I'm an Opeth fan. At my High School, my old math teacher came up to me and saw my shirt and said, "Oh! Opeth. You know them? They're great! I can't wait to see them with Dream Theater on the Prog Nation tour!" I didn't really know what to say, I was in shock! You wouldn't even think that this guy listens to rock let alone Opeth. Apparently he's a huge prog fan. What I'm trying to say is that Opeth doesn't only appeal to Metal fans because they're NOT just a metal band.

I've noticed that a decent amount of scene kids are listening to Opeth. I wouldn't be suprised if I see people fighting invisable ninjas next time I see Opeth.

I'm 36 and I have a quite diverse music taste. Many people raise their eyebrows when they see my CD collection, asking "How can you like X and also like Y?". Most people I know that like Opeth are into death metal (I myself have listened to death metal since 1991), but they are also into other music styles. Others that aren't too fond of death metal, but still like Opeth, are mostly into progg.