The diversity of Opeth's audience

I listen to well over a hundred bands all from different musical genres, most of them are progressive metal though.

I think a mate and I were discussing Herbie Hancock, during which he stated, 'damnit, metal fans are usually so easy to put down but you listen to awesome music as well'.

I think you will find that the majority of Opeth fans do spread their wings, and even listen to hip hop from time to time (as I'm sure Mikael does too :p).

ps- How funny is it that the Opeth forums does not recognise 'Opeth' as a valid word.

i am also more prog metal kind of guy. I knew opeth was progressive but there was something new to me which was the death metal vocals. It took a while for me to get into Opeth but now one of my fav bands. My other fav bands are Dream Theater, Tool, Porcupine Tree, Symphony X, Pain of Salvation etc. So yeah Im more of a prog metal guy, I still like heavy/thrash metal like Metallica and Megadeth too though. I dont really listen to any death metal besides Opeth but I see Opeth a lot more than just a death metal band because they have so many different genres in the music which makes them unique.

I barely see a fan that likes Dream Theater or the other bands I like around here (besides Tool) so when I do, I usually have a little talk with them :)

Im big into folk, prog and classical. I only like metal if it has a twist (eg, Opeth, Dream Theater etc).

Porcupine Tree gigs are also incredibley diverse. There were 50+ year olds at the last gig i went to

My parents have always liked Opeth as well, minus the growls and their over 50. Damnation tends to hit a sweet spot with anybody.

I bought Damnation for my mom one day without telling her anything else about it or the band. I was like "Here, just go and listen to it and tell me if you like it." It quickly became one of her favorite CDs (Despite the fact that I had to convince her that it wasn't some Satanic kinda thing because of the title. Maybe she thought I was trying to inflict some of the same kinda stuff I inflicted on her in the early 80s (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Ozzy. You know...all of those evil devil worshipers and stuff). But she listens to Damnation a lot now. I'm trying to figure out a way to get her to listen to some of the softer things from the other albums like Benighted, Isolation Years etc. We shall see.

I brought my wife to a show, and she was pleasantly surprised to find that:

A) There weren't a lot of "scary" people there
B) We weren't the oldest ones there
C) There were other women there
D) Mike was hilarious
E) The music was, according to her, "not bad"

She's been a work in progress as far as the Opeth thing goes... She loves Damnation, and thought Watershed was really good when I played it for her. She likes parts of Still Life (but thinks some of the songs are too long and lacking form), and likes MAYH best of the earlier catalog. She hasn't yet heard BWP, now that I think of it. I'll have to correct that somehow.

I've not been to an Opeth show yet, but I would LOVE to bring my wife with me when I finally get to. Before she met me, she was of the opinion that if it wasn't played on the radio, it wasn't worth listening to. We've been to a couple of halfway decent concerts like Tom Petty and U2. And a few LESS then decent ones. But I'm slowly trying to expand her horizons. She now digs Porcupine Tree and Opeth's Damnation. Getting her to like the older stuff will....take some work. Oh well, I'm slowly opening up her mind to Tom Waits. So if she likes him, it's just a gradual process to get her to appreciate Mike's growls, right? :)

I've not been to an Opeth show yet, but I would LOVE to bring my wife with me when I finally get to. Before she met me, she was of the opinion that if it wasn't played on the radio, it wasn't worth listening to. We've been to a couple of halfway decent concerts like Tom Petty and U2. And a few LESS then decent ones. But I'm slowly trying to expand her horizons. She now digs Porcupine Tree and Opeth's Damnation. Getting her to like the older stuff will....take some work. Oh well, I'm slowly opening up her mind to Tom Waits. So if she likes him, it's just a gradual process to get her to appreciate Mike's growls, right? :)

You sir are lucky, I just don't see my girlfriend enjoying Opeth any time soon, but thats just how she is:( Although it is fun listening to her mimic the growls.

I would say that another aspect of the diversity of the Opeth fanbase is the fact that the music never falls into one specific genre or catagory. I also really respect how the band members dress and act like regular folk and not like rock stars.

I think I'm one of the weirdest fans around here. I only listened to trance and minimalistic techno before I got into Opeth.

Last time I saw them, the queue was full of metal kids, businessmen and 18-years-old blonde lolitas. It was scary.

Gëist;7543100 said:
I think I'm one of the weirdest fans around here. I only listened to trance and minimalistic techno before I got into Opeth.

Last time I saw them, the queue was full of metal kids, businessmen and 18-years-old blonde lolitas. It was scary.

Do you mean 18-years old blonde female lolitas? huh....that doesn't sound so scary.

I've been classically trained in piano since I was 8, so I love classical music; Chopin, Mozart, Debussy etc. I also like listening to pop; The Beatles, The Zombies, SOME current pop/hip-hop. I love my prog; Dream Theater, Genesis, Rush, Yes, King Crimson. I love thrash metal; Megadeth, Metallica. And then there's Opeth. \m/

Off topic, but what the hell. Yeah, he played on a level where he went "beyond" the notes. It's like you have to listen to his music, not with your ears, but with a space beyond your ears, your brain and your heart. Almost like where every atom in your body is absorbing the music, as opposed to going through the typical processors. Only then will you really "get it." Yeah to say he was something special is an understatement. If I could only own one CD for the rest of my life it would be Kind of Blue by MIles (Then I'd have to figure out a way to download all of Opeth's material and Yngwie's Concerto for Electric Guitar! Hahahaha)

Off topic, but what the hell. Yeah, he played on a level where he went "beyond" the notes. It's like you have to listen to his music, not with your ears, but with a space beyond your ears, your brain and your heart. Almost like where every atom in your body is absorbing the music, as opposed to going through the typical processors. Only then will you really "get it." Yeah to say he was something special is an understatement. If I could only own one CD for the rest of my life it would be Kind of Blue by MIles (Then I'd have to figure out a way to download all of Opeth's material and Yngwie's Concerto for Electric Guitar! Hahahaha)

So true!. Hell yeah, Opeth fans are a diverse crowd:kickass:

What a forum this is haha. Connecting 39 year old buisnessmen with 16 year old highschool students from Israel, both sharing that love for Miles.

Kind of blue is indescribable. "Blue in Green", it takes me elsewhere... The ending of that piece...
It all makes me so speechless.

blue in green is my favourite track from kind of blue i think, or maybe flamenco sketches. i love the piano playing, especially the chord-melody at the start. kind of blue fucking destroys bitches brew and in a silent way and all his fusion albums