The diversity of Opeth's audience

blue in green is my favourite track from kind of blue i think, or maybe flamenco sketches. i love the piano playing, especially the chord-melody at the start. kind of blue fucking destroys bitches brew and in a silent way and all his fusion albums

I wouldn't say it destorys them. In a silent way is still fucking amazing, but kind of blue is on another level. I just love the romantic playing at the end of blue in green, bill evans is so fucking talented.

although im a fan of fusion i could never get into his stuff, i liked his sad jazz playing way more

to each his own

Interesting thread Cognitive. I've noticed a wide range of people at Opeth shows both young and old.
Also people wearing shirts of every genre (well, almost).

I started out with popular punk rock bands like The Offspring, then came to thrash and (melodic) death metal a few years later. Then broadened my horizon to all kinds of metal. Then got into alternative/indie rock like The Hives, Mando Diao. This is what I listen to the most these days, alongside with Opeth. But I really can't stop digging for more. It sounds strange but I'm currently getting into electronic music as well as into prog music and 70's stuff. And this it what I like: I won't ever stop seeking good music. And the coolest thing is that I still listen to all the stuff I've ever heard once in a while. I also can't think of parting with my cd collection (which is small), but I know I will need a big rack 10 years later. Speaking of CDs: I'd love to see every band put more effort in the overall appearance of their albums. There are so beautiful artworks out there which connect with the music making the album a perfect coherent thing which is fun to unwrap, open, read and look while/after listening. (good example: http://kvh.wz.cz/as/ocean.jpg (The Ocean - Precambrian)

To complete my post: Opeth has really a lot of different fans. And those people are usually far from pop music and it's so pleasant to talk with them. Everybody has a different story to tell regarding Opeth and music in general.
(The experience here was overwhelming. I think I will go next year again, regardless of the bands. Check out this years bands and you can imagine the audience!)

My first contact with Opeth was through my older brother. The year was 2001 and since he was into metal at the time he had bought Blackwater Park (he'd also bought a huge poster of the album's artwork, I remember it vividly :)). I was 13 years old and I actually hadn't begun listening that much to music at all yet, but when I heard my brother playing Harvest, The drapery falls and Bleak on the stereo I just knew instantly that I loved it. I wasn't used to violent music like that, but that didn't matter. All I knew was that Opeth was precisely my taste. And that's the thing with a lot of Opeth fans, I think. We don't listen to Opeth because they're metal (or because they're prog or jazzy or have folk-inspired interludes for that matter) - we listen to them ONLY becuse they are so freaking great! Period. And that also shows why most of us aren't stuck in one music genre: because we're not looking for a specific type of music, we're just looking for good music.

I started out in reverse order of most people on this forum. I went from listening to strictly jazz, folk, and some alternative music (like the mars volta) and found myself drifting into the realm of opeth. I really enjoyed the aggression countered with something so pure and mellow. I just love music that flows, and opeth has always had incredible flow. I never thought I would like metal, but now I listen to a number of more technical death metal groups. So basically, I listen to everything from freddie hubbard and miles to cynic and opeth to iron and wine and radiohead, which is the beauty of the Opeth fan base. Everyone is diverse and so is the music.