OT: Mac Gaming.

Yes, for those of us who have things like school, practice, and making a Sound Blaster sound half decent and therefore don't have the time to put into CS, it does get really dumb sometimes.

At least in Source the graphics are so pretty that you don't even need to look at that corner of the screen.

Jeff

Lol. Yeah. Well I was a CAL player before I got into recording heavily...well basically before I got my first job doing it. When I started at KHM Studios I got a Mac...and the need for a PC went out the door, plus all the studio time I was working really made playing CS impossible, or at least at a professional competition level anyway. Eventually my PC just blew up, so I never really looked into playing again until these Intels came out. :)

~e.a

I'd love to get hired by a studio, I'd trade all the CS/DOD/HL2 to learn how to not sound like an amateur. Plus it's awkward being one of the only guys who still plays the original Quake online and has ever gotten laid.

Jeff

The original quake can be played online? Shit, I recall having to fuck around with modem strings to get that working with friends... back in the 33.6k days.

Btw, CS is a disgusting game. I found the old Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear to be much more tactically rewarding, especially in team matches. When the damage system operates on a one-shot-one-kill basis, rather than '100 HP, but hey you can still HS me from 100 metres with a glock' system it tends to heighten tension.

I've always found the games on console systems to be a little too 'arcade-ey' for my tastes. Then again, I'm into combat flight simulators like IL2 Sturmovik, Aces High, Warbirds, Falcon & anything else that's heavily armed & flies.

One of the greatest strengths in the PC gaming scene is the mod community. Hell, Team Fortress was an mod for Quake1, and spawned a billion dollar subgenre with clones & tangents like the Tribes & Battlfield series. Don't even get me started on the superiority of the PC's control system when it comes to 3d shooters. Playing BF2 with a gamepad is suicide.

;)

-0z-

SPLASTiK said:
Yeah, I loved that game. I never played single player but back in the day the computer lab at school stayed open for 2 hours after school was out and all the computer geeks would hang out in there. We'd have these huge Marathon battles over the network... Those were the days...

fuck i remember those days....
i used to do that too....:oops:

Oh man, IL-2 Sturmovik is THE SHIT. I was in love with that game, and I even grabbed the best joystick Logitech offered just to play it. Amazingly, it crapped out on me as soon as it came out of the box. Now, with my loyalty to logitech completely diminished, I still have their plastic pile of crap sitting in the corner of my room and IL-2 is now uninstalled, and I have no time between study and work to use the warranty.

But, bitching aside, IL-2 is a game where I can just load up a quick battle and learn and learn... every new plane has its own unique handling and response to the environment. Learning to dogfight in each of them... man, it's like a new adventure every time.

I even installed Microsoft Flight Sim: A century of flight, to use their tutorial to learn about flight physics and such to become better at dogfighting.

Well...there is a reason why Counter-Strike has won more awards than any other online FPS type game. I'm not saying anything bad about the other games, but rather rebutting your comment about it being "disgusting", lol. I just like it. It's the only game I've ever really liked, and played for more than a month.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. :)

~e.a

Moonlapse said:
, and I even grabbed the best joystick Logitech offered just to play it. Amazingly, it crapped out on me as soon as it came out of the box. Now, with my loyalty to logitech completely diminished, I still have their plastic pile of crap sitting in the corner of my room and IL-2 is now uninstalled, and I have no time between study and work to use the warranty.

Try the sticks from CH products. I'm running the F16 Combat Stick, Pro Throttle & Pro pedals. Not cheap, but certainly worth it.

I agree about the hit point thing being bogus, but it's the best they could have done with the Half Life engine - either the shots don't do a whole lot all the time or they do so much that an arm shot kills you, which would be idiotic. That said, Day of Defeat works around that fairly well - the weapons you see most are one shot kills, so when you get tired of little camping prepubescent kids with overinflated egos...

Jeff

elephant-audio said:
Well...there is a reason why Counter-Strike has won more awards than any other online FPS type game. I'm not saying anything bad about the other games, but rather rebutting your comment about it being "disgusting", lol. I just like it. It's the only game I've ever really liked, and played for more than a month.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. :)

~e.a

CS pwnzors omg nubs. :loco: :headbang: :lol: :kickass: :worship:

OzNimbus said:
Try the sticks from CH products. I'm running the F16 Combat Stick, Pro Throttle & Pro pedals. Not cheap, but certainly worth it.

Yeah, did run into those. The price tag scared me away though. I really.. really can't justify spending that much on a joystick (not to mention paying seperately for rudder pedals and a throttle!).

They're about the only sticks I've read positive feedback on all-round. You don't mind that they don't come with force feedback?

Moonlapse said:
Yeah, did run into those. The price tag scared me away though. I really.. really can't justify spending that much on a joystick (not to mention paying seperately for rudder pedals and a throttle!).

They're about the only sticks I've read positive feedback on all-round. You don't mind that they don't come with force feedback?

I do believe Ch did have a force feedback stick out at one time. But for high fidelity WW2 online air combat, force feedback would probably work against you.
"finesse" is the key & having your stick jumping around all over the place could really screw up your gunnery.

BTW, go check out Aces High at http://www.hitechcreations.com and you can play online for free for 2 weeks. All kinds of crazy contraptions to fly in that game :)

I agree about FF screwing up your gunnery. I had that happen in IL-2... but still, you have to think, I don't think the real pilots had the benefit of having their stick being perfectly still whilst gunning. The greatest part about it was crash landing the plane when damaged, it would shake all over the place and you'd be trying to stabilize the plane. Really added another sense of depth to the experience, hehe.

Cheers for the link! Until I get a new joystick sorted out though I don't think I'll be doing much flight simming, though.