OT: political DT songs

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Nothing wrong with RATM... hell, even I still like them. (Not their newer stuff, though.)

Rage right about 100 times more intellgent lyrics than Dream Theater, thats for sure...
I have no idea why someone would study Dream theater songs for political insight..

Thats like studying Bob Marley for songs about drinking booze

Well, Dream Theater doesn't always do Politics. I prsonally think that th lyrics to The Great Debate are genious.

I agree with some here: the lyrics in The Great Debate are very nice. The song is my all time favourite too.

Benighted1 said:
Rage right about 100 times more intellgent lyrics than Dream Theater, thats for sure...

According to who, exactly? You? When speaking about such matters, you may consider using the proper spelling of WRITE. It's not as if DT writes songs about getting high, getting girls, cars, and other shallow garbage. They touch more on a personal level. So if that, in your opinion, is 100 times less intelligent than Rage, then it might be time to expand your horizons.

1by4by9 said:
I agree with some here: the lyrics in The Great Debate are very nice. The song is my all time favourite too.

I think it's pretty cool because instead of saying for sure, ONE SIDE IS RIGHT, they actually bother to go through both sides' rationale and in the end, leave it up to you to make up your own mind. Even some of their other political lyrics are too pushy, and that one isn't.

What I've been wondering about lately is, is the song "In the Name of God" at least partly about this Steve Jeffs guy that's recently been put on the FBI's Most Wanted list?

"Forty sons and daughters
Unconsenting plural wives
Perversions 'in the name of God'"...

Sure sounds like him!!!

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Well, I guess it's a good song then, because EVERY SINGLE PART OF IT IS GREAT.
dude you have a problem. your problem is reassurance. for some weird reason, any time someone even implies DT or hints at them, you whip out your massive "zomg they rule im not listening" attitude and post just about nothing constructive. i would say it's getting old, but it's been old for months. :rolleyes:

New Millennium could be considered a political song I guess.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Who said Rage has more intelligent lyrics than DT?!? I almost exploded in uncontrollable laughter after reading that extremely ignorant statement. :lol:

your an idiot.. Dream theater has some of the most badly written lyrics I have ever had the displeasure to read! The ones labrie writes are the worst too :lol: (the bassists are the best, or least crap anyway)

And give me one good reason why Rages lyrics are not really well crafted thought-provoking stuff (and down come back to me with the lyrics for Killing in the name either as an agruement)

Benighted1 said:
your an idiot.. Dream theater has some of the most badly written lyrics I have ever had the displeasure to read! The ones labrie writes are the worst too :lol: (the bassists are the best, or least crap anyway)

And give me one good reason why Rages lyrics are not really well crafted thought-provoking stuff (and down come back to me with the lyrics for Killing in the name either as an agruement)
Yeah? Which lyrics don't you like? And what don't you like about them?

Benighted1 said:

Go back to the Opeth forum, you moron.

Kenneth R. said:
dude you have a problem. your problem is reassurance. for some weird reason, any time someone even implies DT or hints at them, you whip out your massive "zomg they rule im not listening" attitude and post just about nothing constructive. i would say it's getting old, but it's been old for months.
I only say that when you mention that song, because you've repeated yourself multiple times as well in this case.