OT: The beer thread

And when yo say Fruits, you don't mean Apples and Oranges and those kinds of fruits, do you? 'Cause I'd kill for a Kiwi-Strawberry flavored beer. :p

The fruity tastes come as a byproduct of the fermentation process. Principally, yeast ferment the sugars in the wort (unfermented beer, rhymes with dirt) to produce ethanol and carbon dioxide. Ale yeasts (top fermenting) have a penchant for producing myriad flavor-active compounds. These compounds include esteres like iso-amyl acetate and ethyl acetate; fusel alcohols like isoamyl alcohol; and compounds such as acetaldehyde, diacetyl, dimethyl sulfide.

Of these compounds, iso-amyl acetate is the most recognizable. Get a good German hefeweizen and give it a taste. What do you taste? Most likely, banana and cloves. The banana flavor is iso-amyl acetate, and that compound is actually present in bananas.

The amount of esters produced during fermentation can be controlled by several factors. Of course, the yeast used must produce those esters, but the amount to which those esters are present in the finished beer is controlled by fermentation temperature, for the most part. Under-aerated wort and yeast cell pitch count are other factors.

Yay, [/geek hat]

See if you can find Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat. Thats the best fruit-tasting beer I've seen commercially.

Not a bad taster, but you can also delve into the Belgian Lambics. Lindemann's Framboise (raspberry) is my favorite. And Black Dog makes a good raspberry wheat as well. For a new treat, try a black & tan made with raspberry wheat for the tan and Murphy's Irish Stout for the black.

But those (including the Sam Cherrry Wheat) are actually fruit beers, where fruit and/or fruit flavoring is added to the beer.

Belgian beers > All.

chouffe.jpg

La Chouffe. I have a 1,5 litre bottle of this, which I'm saving for my 18th birthday, as it was a present for my 16th :p

leffe.jpg

Leffe. Even better is Leffe Dubbel or Tripel (That's double or triple ;) )

dobbelpalm_bolglas.jpg

Palm. Just awesome.

And on a different, but no less awesome note:

Guinness_pint.jpg

Guinness. Irish, not Belgian, but still very fucking awesome.

Guiness is going down the tubes, in my book. They are reworking the beer to compete with Budweiser, which I don't like. I like the beer, yes, but not the marketing. Damn, I'm starting to sound like Kenneth. :lol:

Belgians do rule the brewing world though. And the beer glass world too. I haven't developed a Flanders taste yet, but the Trappists are untouchable.

I heard the Guinness leftovers in pubs are poured into a container that is sent back to the brewery to get it recycled. :D

Belgian beers > All.
We rock. :headbang:
Leffe and Palm are really good, Stella is also mentioned above.
Ever tried Duvel? (= Devil in english)

Why Heineken? It's quite popular, but why? It's not that awesome...
1 lager (25cl) of stella artois costs 1 euro in most youth houses. The pubs dare to ask a bit more (1.30-1.50 euro), which is still reasonable.
so 5$ ? eryafokkinkrazie?

Heineken's consumable. You drink it for the alcohol, not for the beer. Then again, the same goes for quite a large number of the Dutch beers.

Also, hell yeah, I tried Duvel. 8)

Also also, I'm a Dutchie, so I know how one would translate Duvel. ;)

How much do you pay for a bottle of palm (25cl or 33cl) there in Holland?

Well, I must say, even Grolsch is better than Heineken :D

1by4by9 said:
I heard the Guinness leftovers in pubs are poured into a container that is sent back to the brewery to get it recycled. :D
:lol:
Youth Houses rock. There's a folk one in a city nearby -> Guinness!

For the glasses, yeah, the Duvel glass is very special:
Duvelwebsite said:
Why it is best to serve Duvel in a Duvel glass?
A unique beer deserves a unique glass. At the end of the sixties, the Duvel glass was the first tulip shaped glass that allowed a 33-cl. bottle to be poured in one. No similar beer glasses existed up until then. The glass allows a more complete experience of the beer: the bulbous shape releases Duvel’s heavenly flavours and aromas. Since the glass narrows towards the top, it helps to preserve carbon dioxide and therefore the head. It also allows a better division between beer and froth in the same glass, where a classical glass would leave only froth.

-> Now this is important:
The inner circle inside the bottom of the Duvel glass also causes the beer to sparkle subtly upwards to its luxurious head. For the last couple of years this engraving has been given the shape of a ‘D’, the first letter of the Duvel logo!
-> The Spheric Universe Experience of Duvel.

Not sure, but compared to stuff like Heineken, Palm is relatively expensive.

Also, Grolsch is headache-beer. Not hangovers as such, just creates a headache.

We rock. :headbang:
Leffe and Palm are really good, Stella is also mentioned above.
Ever tried Duvel? (= Devil in english)

Why Heineken? It's quite popular, but why? It's not that awesome...
1 lager (25cl) of stella artois costs 1 euro in most youth houses. The pubs dare to ask a bit more (1.30-1.50 euro), which is still reasonable.
so 5$ ? eryafokkinkrazie?

Just at a glance...no, if you're talking about belgium, it's all about Trappist Rochefort 6,8, and especially the 10