Other music you guys like?

Chuckie

New Metal Member
Feb 13, 2002
Visit site
Even though you guys are all into metal and shit, what do you guys think of punk music? Are there any punk bands you guys like? How about other types of music you are into?

punk....nah,i don't listen to any punk...but i used to listen much to Sex Pistols when i was 14 :cool:

apart from metal i like listening to some goth/electro/ambient....not super much stuff..I used to listen more in the past (i even listened to some Christian Death :eek: ),but now i only listen to Diary of Dreams,Lacrimosa (These 2 bands rule!!!),sometimes Cure and Penitent,sometimes Rosetta stone and Diorama (<---- this makes me feel superdown) and that's all..or almost all cause i get to listen to some industrial (Hocico and such stuff) from a friend sometimes and hate him afterwards ;)...

That's cool. But you know what I don't get? Why do punk bands have to play such simple music? Just because it's "punk" doesn't mean it should be simple. I think they should get some more chords and have more solos but still play fast, you know what I mean? I don't really play guitar that much, but I can tell when I listen to punk cds that the riffs sound so similar in most songs.

other than metal i listen to darkwave, ambient, industrial, black ambient, experimental noise, some goth, apocalyptic folk :p
ah and swing/jazz sometimes...

i get to listen to some industrial (Hocico and such stuff) from a friend sometimes and hate him afterwards ;)
:eek: Hocico rulz! ;)

edit: neofolk?

i hate labels, but that's just how the call it. i can't really explain music because i'm not exactly rational about it, so probably these will be just ramblings

Ambient: to me is the type of music that surrounds you, soothing enviromental music that fills the place you're in. (Ulver's last albums)
Dark Ambient: ambient with obscure elements, sort of a horror movie soundtrack..
Black Ambient: there's various definitions, black metal done with synths or electronic music dealing with occult themes, something along those lines.
Darkwave: (stolen from somewhere) DarkWave genre are types on music such as Industrial, EBM (Electronic Body Music), Gothic, Ethereal, and most Synthpop. DarkWave music consists on Dark beats with heavy bass lines. First forms of "DarkWave" music go back to the days of the Electronic pioneers like Kraftwerk, Front 242, Nitzer Ebb, New Order to the current likes of VNV Nation, Apoptygma Berzerk, Covenant, Nerouticfish, And One, Wolfshiem, and Syntec, to name a few.

Current 93 started calling their music apocalyptic folk, then it spreaded to most bands under the label World Serpent. It's experimental folk, sort of bizarre and noisy.

:confused:

Originally posted by astarte
i hate labels, but that's just how the call it. i can't really explain music because i'm not exactly rational about it, so probably these will be just ramblings

Me too, but I have different enterpretation of the genres you mentioned so thought I'd give an alternative :)

Ambient: to me is the type of music that surrounds you, soothing enviromental music that fills the place you're in. (Ulver's last albums)

Tome, the relaxing music, you listen to and it creates a stron atmosphere etc. very good for relaxing to.. so kinda similar to your explanation really, but I wouldn't call Perdition citry (the only Ulver album I have) ambient, its to diverse and too much like Trip hop... I'd say typical ambient was Delerium, stuff like that

Dark Ambient: ambient with obscure elements, sort of a horror movie soundtrack..

IMO not obscure elements, but Dark elements. Its depressing, gloomy and often sinister, so its ambient, but not in the way you would expect - it creates a Dark atmosphere in the room... like illusion of safety.Eg. one of their songs "in 10 countries" has torture victims talking about their experiences over the top - its quite unsettling..

Black Ambient: there's various definitions, black metal done with synths or electronic music dealing with occult themes, something along those lines

Agreed

Darkwave: (stolen from somewhere) DarkWave genre are types on music such as Industrial, EBM (Electronic Body Music), Gothic, Ethereal, and most Synthpop. DarkWave music consists on Dark beats with heavy bass lines. First forms of "DarkWave" music go back to the days of the Electronic pioneers like Kraftwerk, Front 242, Nitzer Ebb, New Order to the current likes of VNV Nation, Apoptygma Berzerk, Covenant, Nerouticfish, And One, Wolfshiem, and Syntec, to name a few

In my mind darkwave is very different from Industrial and EBM (I know u took it from a website) I normally just think of it as Dark dance...eg chambers of the morbid - dark moon (only song of theirs I have so not sure if it's all like that. But VNV Nation, Apoptygma Berzerk, Covenant, and Wolfshiem are great :D

I used to listen punk when I was younger, like Bad Religion (which still rules :headbang: :headbang: I listen them sometimes), Nofx, Rancid, Pennywise, Green Day, The Offspring, Sex Pistols...Then I like Cure's music very much..and some strange goth/dark wave/whatever stuff...I don't know how to gategorize them :p

Originally posted by The Wanderer
metal all the way. no reason for anything else to exist.

Yea no shit ... METALLLLLLLLLLLL yeah! ..... some punk is ok and I Love hardcore (darkest hour, hatebreed, dillinger escape plan) only one punk band I like is leftover crack ... very good.

Angelofdeath

I'm into all music from New Age to Pop! METAL of course is my fav and main listening.

Hell, Yanni's album "Live at the Acropolis" is one of my all time favs! Yeah, yeah, if you haven't heard it yet listen to it before you laugh at me! Hehe.