Own Pictures Thread

Well, The wind blows the ashes from west now so the countryside close to the glacier is affected. I'm reading news about a farmer that lives in the south/southeast that says that it makes a difference having the gasmask( outside). The public warning officials say that people nearby should have gasmasks available. It is safe indoors, though. A lot of ash can poison animals eating ashy vegetation.

Sarcastically there is some domestic flight here, which evades the direction of the ash. :)

In fact 1/2 -3/4 of livestock was killed and 1/5th of the human population was killed as a result. in the massive eruption of Laki in 1783-1784( the consequence was also ash over France which affected the harvest -> poverty -> contributed to the French revolution.
Info on that historic eruption: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8624791.stm

Prof Karlsson also believes Laki had other surprising consequences for Icelandic society. "The Icelanders stopped dancing and unlike the Norwegians and Faroe Islanders we lost the old dances. My guess is they stopped because people were in such shock after the famine that they didn't want to dance anymore."
FUCKING SHIT MAAAN, THAT'S WHY WERE ALWAYS SO DEPRESSED!

Next week the wind will be blowing from the east so, the greater capital area might have ash... I'm excited... hehe. I think it will be thinner since it's more than 200 km away.

The last eruption ca. 200 years ago there lasted (with some breaks in between) 2 years.. oh my.. and the bigger volcano under a bigger glacer to the near east, the mighty Katla has always followed after this one...

528083A.jpg

Ash has been noticed in the Faroes, Norway and Denmark
528151.jpg

Here's people close to the ashfall..
http://www.mbl.is/mm/frettir/innlent/2010/04/16/oku_inn_i_midjan_mokkinn/

The craters of the glacier look like the devil screeeaaming! Haha!

528080.jpg

See the eruption live from 2 sights

http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-thorolfsfelli/

http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-valahnjuk/

^ :lol: it does like an evil lad screaming: 'You will dieeeeeeeeeeeeee!'

I wonder how long this'll last because I'm sure the ash isn't going to dissipate very quickly. It's very interesting to see how everything 'collapses', I'm very excited about this! I know it's not very nice to say that, but it's fascinating (at least for me) to see how everything develops.

Hehe if the Katla explodes that'll mean serious trouble :p . Or even worse, the ones under Vatnajökull hehehehehe.

you live near reykjavik if i'm not wrong, so i hope your zone isn't affected by the ashes....
sounds a little bit worring instead of exciting to me :rolleyes:

yeah the glacier looks like a demon!!!!

you live near reykjavik if i'm not wrong, so i hope your zone isn't affected by the ashes....

Yes, but weeee waaaiit until next week. I think it will be manageble if it will come... just a bit weird!

The farms near the volcano have experienced ashfall this evening. I'm going to my family's summerhouse tomorrow we have view over the glacier( plus the ominous volcano Hekla) and the forecast says clear skies :)

528198.jpg

Djöfull;9030243 said:
Yes, but weeee waaaiit until next week. I think it will be manageble if it will come... just a bit weird!

The farms near the volcano have experienced ashfall this evening. I'm going to my family's summerhouse tomorrow we have view over the glacier( plus the ominous volcano Hekla) and the forecast says clear skies :)

528198.jpg

Do post pics, will you?

it has started long ago, but now is fucking yelling loud!

Yes! When you think about it, there've been a lot of natural 'catastrophes' this year, a lot more than in previous one IMO. Without doubt, mother Gaia is telling us to die.

Humanity has become a virus, we only destroy and do not produce. If humanity were to perish, no other species would be affected. Sadly enough, we're 'above' the chain due to the ability to 'reason', even though the latter is not really used a lot.

Yes! When you think about it, there've been a lot of natural 'catastrophes' this year, a lot more than in previous one IMO. Without doubt, mother Gaia is telling us to die.

Humanity has become a virus, we only destroy and do not produce. If humanity were to perish, no other species would be affected. Sadly enough, we're 'above' the chain due to the ability to 'reason', even though the latter is not really used a lot.
Do people actually believe that stuff? I mean it's nonsense, you're basically saying the planet is cognitive being.:lol:

Nature "knows" as much as my toaster does.

"as soon as we allow ourselves to be seduced by the analogy to describe the Thing in anthropomorphic terminology, we immediately lose our control over which human connotations we drag into the picture. And as most of those are totally inadequate, the anthropomorphism becomes more misleading than helpful." -Edsger Dijkstra

25544_1382930127482_1058848669_1127101_8235616_n.jpg

On the highway 1 close to Selfoss

25544_1382930167483_1058848669_1127102_8036856_n.jpg

25544_1382930207484_1058848669_1127103_3221551_n.jpg

From our house in the countryside... Made no complainsts concerning the panorama...

25544_1382933767573_1058848669_1127126_3374731_n.jpg

Steam... white

25544_1382933887576_1058848669_1127128_8083530_n.jpg

Getting greyer.. more ash

25544_1382936207634_1058848669_1127137_1287509_n.jpg

Very active and still darker

25544_1382936247635_1058848669_1127138_8268494_n.jpg

Me and the comprehensive Glaciers of Iceland by the country's leading glaciologist.

25544_1382936327637_1058848669_1127139_4206627_n.jpg

The icesheet underneath Mýrdalsjökull glacier where the volcano Katla is underneath.. historically it has erupted close in time with the one that's now erupting: Eyjafjallajökull.

If you don't understand icelandic.. that's ok

25156_377788332571_580792571_3881044_4406388_n.jpg

Me and a friends kitten making bonding...

Ohhh... and during the evening there were plenty of lightnings in the ashcloud! A few times it was like a massive light gleaming in the sky..

This is pic is from one news source

sprengigos.jpg

Since the letter c does not exist in the icelandic alphabet, we misunderstood the outside world. They said send cash... but we didn't understand this c .. so we sent them ASH

wait....did you cut your hair? i'm surprised :lol:

the volcano seems to be quite near your country-home. how much exactly?

the photo of the lightnings is really incredible and scary!!!! :zombie:

wait....did you cut your hair? i'm surprised :lol:

the volcano seems to be quite near your country-home. how much exactly?

the photo of the lightnings is really incredible and scary!!!! :zombie:
I cut my hair about a year ago, shaved it completely... my hair had been long since 2003 or so. And I cut it 1-2 months ago. I don't wanna cut it more often than once a year(before christmas?)... My hair is curly and difficult to comb if I wake up and am in a hurry :( some locks go boooojjjng up into the air and won't go down. So maybe I'll go for the shoulder length hair sometime in the near future, less hassle; the curls are just one mass and won't behave irregularly.

Distance. It's about 55 kilometres. Lightnings killed two men when Katla erupted in the 1750s.

Anyway.. in the country near this eruption it gets pitch black during the day as a result of ash!

what do you mean by knows, and how do you envision nature sensing these disruptions and correcting for them?

No idea :) , I wish I could explain it hehe.

@ Djöfull:

Great pics! I really like the last one, looks like a Balrog fighting with Thor :lol:, pretty epic I say.

I like that book, but my guess is that it's only available in Icelandic. Pity :( .

what's written in the lolcat????
give dad a kiss???' :lol:
i've no idea, just trying to guess using my knowledge in other languages :lol:

you're country home must be nice! i love houses made with wood.
we don't have them here :cry: