Paganfest USA 2009: Bands announced!

Zod, I was being a smart-ass with the final comment on my previous post.
My comments were directed at this overall thread, not you specifically.

All of this is rubbish.
The second a band reaches popularity, a large majority of insecure metalheads jump ship.

Look at the recent DragonForce / Turisas tour.
If this tour were 3 years ago, it would have been TOUR OF THE YEAR!

The only thing that has changed for each band is more mainstream attention.

The end result was many underground metal fans of the band jumping ship.

I expect the same will happen of bands on the next Pagan Fest package.

I could be wrong, but history sure seems to repeat itself in this regard.

My bad. There's been a couple of threads of late, where it's seemed like I must have pissed in your Wheaties in a previous life. But hey... it can be hard to assess when someone is being sarcastic on the intertubes.

Cool.

The second a band reaches popularity, a large majority of insecure metalheads jump ship.
Agreed. Personally, I tend to root for the bands I like to attain enough popularity, that they can support themselves with their music, without becoming so popular, that they lose site of the artistic vision that attracted me to them in the first place.

Zod

Look, neither of these bands is doing anything remotely unique. Nor are they improving upon an already existing style. Nor have they spent years building a following. Nor are they exceptional songwriters. Yet, somehow, they're headlining above two bands who are the bedrock of this genre.

Because the ability to headline a tour has little to do with those qualities. Being a headliner means that you can draw people to the venue. That's it.

While Primordial and Moonsorrow may be the bedrock of the genre, they haven't gotten quite the exposure that Korpiklaani or Eluveitie have gotten, even in the small crowd we are talking about.

Because the ability to headline a tour has little to do with those qualities. Being a headliner means that you can draw people to the venue. That's it.
I get why it is what it is. It's hardly a mystery. And if you look at my initial post about this announcement, you'll see I acknowledged why Korpiklaani are headlining and that I'm merely lamenting the state of things...

Even in underground, bands that draw the best are ones with the least to offer musically.

Zod

All of this is rubbish.

Look at the recent DragonForce / Turisas tour.
If this tour were 3 years ago, it would have been TOUR OF THE YEAR!

The only thing that has changed for each band is more mainstream attention.

The end result was many underground metal fans of the band jumping ship.

I expect the same will happen of bands on the next Pagan Fest package.

I could be wrong, but history sure seems to repeat itself in this regard.

Exactly...it's sad

please have this tour at Worcester's Palladium on its own; it would suck having this great lineup coincide with the NEMHF.