Paganfest USA 2009: Bands announced!

KORPIKLAANI makes this tour. I wasn't really excited that much but now I'm super happy. :) :) :)

But I hope this starts at 5 like Summer Slaughter so the bands get somewhat of a decent set. If Swashbuckle-Primordial get 20 minute sets, that would suck.

Korpiklaani and Swashbuckle have been added to this!

Unfortunately this means Primordial is no longer headlining. Korpiklaani and Eluvieite have been pushed in front of them, lame. Primordial is by far the best band on this bill, and this probably means Moonsorrow's set will be shorter too :(

This news, instead of making me happy, only serves to piss me off. Man, fuck Eluveitie

It never ceases to amaze me. Even in underground, bands that draw the best are ones with the least to offer musically. Korpiklaani is a fun live band. But headlining above Primordial and Moonsorrow? Please.

Zod

It never ceases to amaze me. Even in underground, bands that draw the best are ones with the least to offer musically. Korpiklaani is a fun live band. But headlining above Primordial and Moonsorrow? Please.

Zod

I agree wholeheartedly, Zod. Primordial is the shit. And Moonsorrow is right up there, too.

However, with the addition of Korp and Swashbuckle, I'm excited about this tour. I was lukewarm to it with four bands, one of which was a repeat that I didn't care to see again (sans the Kirder twins, especially).

But Korp adds a lot of energy and fun -- not to mention strong albums sales.

Now I'm excited about PaganFest 2.

There have been a lot of cancellations of tours lately, especially in Michigan. So I hope this one actually happens. I'd love to see it.

Bill

KORPIKLAANI makes this tour. I wasn't really excited that much but now I'm super happy. :) :) :)

But I hope this starts at 5 like Summer Slaughter so the bands get somewhat of a decent set. If Swashbuckle-Primordial get 20 minute sets, that would suck.

still not enjoying the good stuff yet? :lol:

But Korp adds a lot of energy and fun -- not to mention strong albums sales.
They're definitely a fun band and will no doubt sell tickets. However, it's disheartening when bands who have been around a mere five years, headline over Primordial (1993). Granted, there's no direct correlation between tenure and quality. However, it's hard to make the argument the that Korpiklaani and Eluveitie bring more to the table musically, in terms or originality and quality, than Primordial and Moonsorrow. It's even more disheartening when you consider this will be the first (and possibly only) U.S. tour for Primordial and Moonsorrow. With this updated slotting, both will probably get a mere 30 minutes, so that bands with bagpipes and accordians can amuse the Hot Topic faithful.

http://search.hottopic.com/clothing/Eluveitie

Zod

so that bands with bagpipes and accordians can amuse the Hot Topic faithful.

Zod

Maybe this is a tongue in cheek comment from you Zod, and I may be setting myself up for a lashing (but I have to ask), you saying bands that use accordians and bagpipes are for the Hot Topic crowd? Or you just mentioning the fact Hot Topic sells Eluveitie merch?

Hrmmm....
Seems like a HUGE financial risk.
Is the addition of Korp really going to bring in folks who already wouldn't have been there?
I mean, I could see if they scored the long-rumored Amon Amarth.

still not enjoying the good stuff yet? :lol:

I've learned that talking to you is like talking to a wall so I'm not even gonna waste my time.

They're definitely a fun band and will no doubt sell tickets. However, it's disheartening when bands who have been around a mere five years, headline over Primordial (1993). Granted, there's no direct correlation between tenure and quality. However, it's hard to make the argument the that Korpiklaani and Eluveitie bring more to the table musically, in terms or originality and quality, than Primordial and Moonsorrow. It's even more disheartening when you consider this will be the first (and possibly only) U.S. tour for Primordial and Moonsorrow. With this updated slotting, both will probably get a mere 30 minutes, so that bands with bagpipes and accordians can amuse the Hot Topic faithful.

Zod

As much as I don't want Eluveitie on this tour (they're one of my fav bands), it's amazing how Eluveitie is considered trendy and for the "hot topic" crowd to some people now.

They tour the US twice and now they're considered mainstream. Wow. :rolleyes:

Maybe this is a tongue in cheek comment from you Zod, and I may be setting myself up for a lashing (but I have to ask), you saying bands that use accordians and bagpipes are for the Hot Topic crowd? Or you just mentioning the fact Hot Topic sells Eluveitie merch?
More the latter. In some small way bands like this have become trendy. Obviously not trendy in a way that's going to land them on the cover of People magazine. Similar to how DragonForce's over the top style was trendy with the kids for five minutes.

Look, neither of these bands is doing anything remotely unique. Nor are they improving upon an already existing style. Nor have they spent years building a following. Nor are they exceptional songwriters. Yet, somehow, they're headlining above two bands who are the bedrock of this genre.

...it's amazing how Eluveitie is considered trendy and for the "hot topic" crowd to some people now.
Facts are facts. Their merch is being sold by Hot Topic. You can frame that any way you choose, but it is what it is.

They tour the US twice and now they're considered mainstream. Wow. :rolleyes:
Who said they're considered "mainstream"? I actually said quite the opposite...

Even in underground, bands that draw the best are ones with the least to offer musically.

Zod

Hrmmm....
Seems like a HUGE financial risk.
Is the addition of Korp really going to bring in folks who already wouldn't have been there?
I mean, I could see if they scored the long-rumored Amon Amarth.

It will for me.... what I have heard from Primordial and Moonsorrow have been 'meh' to my ears. Korp and Eluv will seal the deal for me (provided we get a New England date).

Zod

Spoken like a true fan of Trivium.:lol:

More the latter. In some small way bands like this have become trendy. Obviously not trendy in a way that's going to land them on the cover of People magazine. Similar to how DragonForce's over the top style was trendy with the kids for five minutes.

Facts are facts. Their merch is being sold by Hot Topic. You can frame that any way you choose, but it is what it is.

Zod

Wow

Having your merch at Hot Topic does not necessarily have any correlation to album sales or popularity.

It's simply what is available from the t shirt distributor used by Hot Topic (No idea which one, JSR? Cinder Block???)

Being on Nuclear Blast and having toured is what has helped them get the name out there.

As far as their positioning, Maurizo (SP?) from Kataklysm has stated many times his love of the band.
He is one of the festival's promoters.

I think you guys are all reading WAY too much into all of this.

Sure, you guys may prefer Primordial and Moonsorrow, but neither is on a label as large as Nuc Blast, nor have either done multiple US tours.

So Zod, THOSE are the facts........

Having your merch at Hot Topic does not necessarily have any correlation to album sales or popularity.
First of all, I didn't say it did. However, the more places that carry your merchandise, the more opportunity you have to generate sales.

Being on Nuclear Blast and having toured is what has helped them get the name out there.
Thank you Captain Obvious. Who said being on Nuclear Blast and touring doesn't help get your name out there?

I think you guys are all reading WAY too much into all of this.
If you say so, it must be true.

So Zod, THOSE are the facts...
You capitalize "those", as if you've handed down some sort of final verdict as to what the facts are. It's ironic you accused me (in another thread) of stating my opinion like it's a fact (when I was joking), when that's all you ever do.

The only thing I claimed is a fact, is that Hot Top sells their merch... and that is a fact (for which I provided a link).

Zod