Paganfest USA 2009: Bands announced!

This just may be the most incorrect statement in the history of the interwebs.

I shall drink to your wrongness. :kickass:

Zod

Zod,
I know you are the resident know it all, but your post proves your lack of knowledge of the genre. Sure, these two might be the best of the better known bands, but like each genre, just because you are most well known, it does not mean they are the best.

I've recently gotten into Eluveitie and I've liked Moonsorrow for sometime now. I agree with a few above that Korpiklanni would've been icing on the cake for me though. Regardless, it looks like a cool tour.

~Brian~

Zod,
I know you are the resident know it all, but your post proves your lack of knowledge of the genre. Sure, these two might be the best of the better known bands, but like each genre, just because you are most well known, it does not mean they are the best.

I like a ton of Folk/Viking metal bands and the only bands I could think of that I'd want to headline instead of Primordial are:

A band that pretty much never, if ever, played live and doesn't exist anymore (Bathory)
A band that doesn't play live (Falkenbach)
Einherjer

2 bands that are on it yes.... Great. Primordial and Moonsorrow. BUT... The other 2 NO.

How about Arkona, Thyrfing, Wintersun, Korpi, Equillibrium, Kampfar, Manegarm, Borknagar, Vintersorg, Agalloch, Heidevolk.... Come on... Get rid of the other 2 and it would draw better.

sorry Zod. I know your love for both acts but there are still tons of stronger pagan acts out there.
Hey... if that's true, I'll be buying tons of CDs this weekend. Who are these bands you speak of?

Zod, I know you are the resident know it all, but your post proves your lack of knowledge of the genre.
So... if I don't agree with you, as to who the best bands in the genre are, than I must lack knowledge of that genre? And you're calling me a "know it all"?

As others correctly noted, my post was tongue in cheek. Although it was apparently unclear to you, I don't actually believe Diabolik's post is the "most incorrect statement in the history of the interweb." It was a joke and he took it as such.

Sure, these two might be the best of the better known bands, but like each genre, just because you are most well known, it does not mean they are the best.
While I'd agree that there's no direct correlation between popularity and quality, there's also no correlation between anonymity and quality.

Zod

It's his shtick .. don't take it to seriously. Judging by his response to Zod above, Diabolik seemed to figure that one out pretty easily.
You'd think stating someone's post was the "most incorrect statement in the history of the interweb" would be seen as part hyperbole, part sarcasm. Unfortunately, some people take themselves and these forums way too seriously.

Zod

2 bands that are on it yes.... Great. Primordial and Moonsorrow. BUT... The other 2 NO.

How about Arkona, Thyrfing, Wintersun, Korpi, Equillibrium, Kampfar, Manegarm, Borknagar, Vintersorg, Agalloch, Heidevolk.... Come on... Get rid of the other 2 and it would draw better.

To me... Right now. Pagan Fest 1 was like a Thanksgiving Fest. Pagan Fest 2 was like getting a meal from White Castle. (If it wasnt for Primordial or Moonsorrow. It would be more like getting a meal at the homeless shelter)

Yeah, John. I'm afraid I'm thinking that way, too. Eluveitie shouldn't be returning. It's been too soon. They've already criss-crossed the U.S. twice recently, and were on the first Paganfest tour. I can think of plenty of other bands (some of which you named) that would make for a more interesting PF2.

Still, half of the four bands -- Primordial and Moonsorrow -- might make up for a weak other half. And one can only hope that tours of this kind -- if they're successful -- will pave the way for more bands in this genre to tour the States...and help make HC4 a smashing success. :kickass:

Bill

To me... Right now. Pagan Fest 1 was like a Thanksgiving Fest. Pagan Fest 2 was like getting a meal from White Castle. (If it wasnt for Primordial or Moonsorrow. It would be more like getting a meal at the homeless shelter)

Many good suggestions there! I'd love to see Arkona especially!

Hey... if that's true, I'll be buying tons of CDs this weekend. Who are these bands you speak of?

So... if I don't agree with you, as to who the best bands in the genre are, than I must lack knowledge of that genre? And you're calling me a "know it all"?

As others correctly noted, my post was tongue in cheek. Although it was apparently unclear to you, I don't actually believe Diabolik's post is the "most incorrect statement in the history of the interweb." It was a joke and he took it as such.

While I'd agree that there's no direct correlation between popularity and quality, there's also no correlation between anonymity and quality.

Zod

Arkona, Skyforger, SatanaKozel, Korpiklanni, Izmoroz, Heidevolk, Svartsby, Svartsot, Nomans Land, Forefather and many more are lots better than Moonsorrow and Primordial. I see both would probably draw better but in sake of quality.

Also...about joking on the web. I dont stand for it. This being why I was booted from the Powerfest forum. I dont like joking.:loco:

Holy sh*T!!! You were booted from that forum too?

Zod - Of course there was sarcasm in your post.
While your schtick is being a know it all whose opinion is final, you need to be able to back up such statements.

True that anonimity doesn't always equal quality, but for those into viking and pagan metal, your statement read as absurd as those power metal fans who think that Iced Earth and Blind Guardian are the only bands that matter.

Obviously your love for both Primordial and Moonsorrow drove your statement.

Well, opinions are like assholes anyhow, so this is really pointless in the longrun.

hmm, maybe Paganfest's booking people know something we don't about Eluveitie, considering their presence on the bill AND their surprisingly-high placement on the bill. Could their album sales here be higher than we're expecting?

hmm, maybe Paganfest's booking people know something we don't about Eluveitie, considering their presence on the bill AND their surprisingly-high placement on the bill. Could their album sales here be higher than we're expecting?

i think it is the singer from Kataklysm who is running this thing is just good freinds with them. When they played the first one...they were pretty unheard of until it was announced that they were going to be on the first Pagan Fest. Then seeing them on the last Kataklysm and now this tour again. I think they have the buddy thing going on this. I think in the long run...with this much exposure...they may become the new Into Eternity. I am a fan of the band but just a little bummed that the slot wasnt give to another deserving act that could really use the exposure from this type of tour.

I like some of the bands that you mentioned, Diabolik, yet I do not know some others. However, I still enjoy Moonsorrow more than the ones that I do know. I don't know all of them, but I do agree that just because a band is better known it doesn't make them better.