Paganfest USA 2009: Bands announced!

Arkona, Skyforger, SatanaKozel, Korpiklanni, Izmoroz, Heidevolk, Svartsby, Svartsot, Nomans Land, Forefather and many more are lots better than Moonsorrow and Primordial.
Not familiar with Svartsby and Svartsot. I will check them out... thanks for the recommendation.

As for Arkona, Skyforger, Heidevolk, Korpiklanni, Nomans Land, SatanaKozel, Izmoroz and Forefather, I view them as falling somewhere between average and awful, and IMHO, no where near as good as Primordial and Moonsorrow.

Also...about joking on the web. I dont stand for it. This being why I was booted from the Powerfest forum. I dont like joking.:loco:
LOL.

Zod

Zod - Of course there was sarcasm in your post.
While your schtick is being a know it all whose opinion is final, you need to be able to back up such statements.
Being a "know it all" is not my "schtick". Being a sarcastic bastard is more my thing.

I think you need to take a step back and recognize that what I originally said, I said in jest. The idea that I should have to back up a joke, is somewhat silly. Lastly, I'm not even sure how someone would back up their opinion, other than with more of their opinion.

True that anonimity doesn't always equal quality, but for those into viking and pagan metal, your statement read as absurd as those power metal fans who think that Iced Earth and Blind Guardian are the only bands that matter.
By what standard, other than your own opinion, is my opinion "absurd"?

I have to say, I find this whole back and forth quite ironic. Look at my statement, again, made in jest...

This just may be the most incorrect statement in the history of the interwebs. I shall drink to your wrongness.:kickass:

Now look at your statements, made in all seriousness...

...your post proves your lack of knowledge of the genre.
...your statement read as absurd...
I just don't appreciate Zod's attitude (constantly) that other's opinions are invalid or incorrect.

You don't care for the way I act as if "others opinions are incorrect or invalid", as you state that my opinions are absurd and prove my "lack of knowledge of the genre".

You tell me, which of us is guilty of acting like the "know it all"?

Zod

Dear lord.............................
I said your statement,though sarcastic, read as absurd as statements made from power metal fans who don't stretch beyond IE or BG.

Re-read your own statement..... "Most incorrect statement in the history of the interwebs"????
How can you question someone who would interpret this as you being a know it all?

As I said, opinions are like assholes..........

Arkona, Skyforger, SatanaKozel, Korpiklanni, Izmoroz, Heidevolk, Svartsby, Svartsot, Nomans Land, Forefather and many more are lots better than Moonsorrow and Primordial. I see both would probably draw better but in sake of quality.
Having listened to albums from all the listed bands, I have to say that'd rather listen to or see a gig by Primordial or Moonsorrow before those, and I've seen both Moonsorrow and Primordial live before already. The only bands from that list that I personally enjoy to the same level would be Arkona and Forefather (Later material only). I like Skyforger and Korpiklaani (the latter band definately needs to tour North America, a single show in Calgary that I couldn't make it to just won't cut it!) but I can't listen to them for hours on end like I could for certain others.

If I wanted to talk about acts that I find stronger than Primordial or Moonsorrow, I'd talk about Manegarm. I'd talk about Windir too, but that's not happening of course.

I agree that Eluveitie needs to go. Fun band, but one of the bands from the above list would be great as a support act. I'm okay with Blackguard, I checked out the myspace and it seemed like fair tunes to me. Kinda funny how the only Canadian band on the bill was the one I'd never listened to.

If I wanted to talk about acts that I find stronger than Primordial or Moonsorrow, I'd talk about Manegarm. I'd talk about Windir too, but that's not happening of course.
I'd actually prefer either Windir or Manegarm to any of the bands listed by Diabolik. But would say both fall well short of Primordial or Moonsorrow.

Pain of Salvation comes to mind. :lol:
:mad:

Zod

Back on the subject of music... who are all these bands you hold as superior to Primordial?

Zod

Well, it's not so much that I had an issue with your claim of Primordial being top in the genre, as much as your stating it as 100% fact.....

It's all a matter of opinion.
Hell, the whole viking / pagan / folk genre has become just as oversaturated as death, doom, and death / doom in terms of bands being classified as such because it is the hot genre of the month.

Personally, I like the term "dark" metal to describe bands that would fall under the "Heathen Crusade" umbrella.

First off, this is NOT my genre of expertise by any means.
Probably my favs that would fall under this umbrella would be DoomSword, Tyr, and Agalloch
(Though I am sure many may argue whether these should all fall under the same umbrella).

I agree though.....
Let's discuss the music more, because that's what really matters! Cheers.

I am VERY surprised that Agalloch has not yet played a major US festival yet. Though I know the band isn't exactly a full-time live act, so it's possible they have been approached, but just not available.

I think that Paganfest 2 is far superior to the first. I don't care for Ensiferum and, at the time, had never heard of Eluveitie. Tyr I can take or leave. Primordial have some of the most powerful music and lyrics I have ever heard. To see them live will be like a religious experience. Moonsorrow are another great band. I guess I'm fortunate in that I haven't seen Eluveitie live, so I'm kind of excited for them. Really, it doesn't matter who else plays as long as Primordial headlines.

They should've had Wintersun second down from the headliner, and I would be psyched about this. I loved Paganfest 08, saw the show twice and loved it both times but this time it just doesnt seem as exciting to me. Plus Eluveitie without the brothers? bah...

oh well, gonna go listen to Primordial and Moonsorrow to see what they are like.

They should've had Wintersun second down from the headliner, and I would be psyched about this. I loved Paganfest 08, saw the show twice and loved it both times but this time it just doesnt seem as exciting to me. Plus Eluveitie without the brothers? bah...

oh well, gonna go listen to Primordial and Moonsorrow to see what they are like.

Yeah I was expecting Wintersun and Equilibrium

If Wintersun headlined, I think I would of fainted when I read the news. If I ever see them live, I can die shortly after and say I lived a great life. :heh:

Korpiklaani and Swashbuckle have been added to this!

Unfortunately this means Primordial is no longer headlining. Korpiklaani and Eluvieite have been pushed in front of them, lame. Primordial is by far the best band on this bill, and this probably means Moonsorrow's set will be shorter too :(

Unfortunately this means Primordial is no longer headlining. Korpiklaani and Eluvieite have been pushed in front of them, lame. Primordial is by far the best band on this bill, and this probably means Moonsorrow's set will be shorter too :(

Yeah, it's really lame that Primordial is no longer headlining, and Moonsorrow will probably get raped time-wise.

One thing, though: Why the hell is Swashbuckle on this bill? How does Pirate-themed Thrash fit in Paganfest at all? I like them, I'm not complaining - but huh?

Korpiklaani's addition makes me more interested in the tour but I'll probably still pass on the 2009 lineup.