Pain of Salvation - Scarsick

i've made it now through six of the ten tracks on the new album. Being a huge fan that pretty much worships the ground albums like Remedy Lane and The Perfect Element Pt. 1 are made upon, i must say that Scarsick was a shock. I think that a lot of people look at the album for what they hear and immediately write it off since its not done in the traditional vein of PoS.

After "be" i was not expecting another Remedy or TPE1. It is obvious that PoS's creative direction has taken a more Patton-like turn. Daniel seems more willing to dabble into alternative styles of music whilst putting the PoS-like spin on it. This album will sound appauling and crazy to psycho-fanboys that want all the albums to sound the same, or constantly shock them with similar ideas simply constructed in alternate sequences. Scarsick will win the band an audience in the realm of bizarre music and continues to spotlight them as one of the more colorful and enigmatic bands on the planet.

My personal take is that this album is meant to spotlight all the things about this world that are so utterly ridiculous and nonsenical, but yet swallow the people who think and say them whole. American values, disco queens, gangs and rap stars with bling, finding god. all facets of this life that will no doubt leave a lasting imprint, but also die off, much like the emo banner that this is being placed under.

A part of me likes this album a lot for its bizarre nature. The other side of me is not completely sold. It will take a number of listens for me to make a final decision.

I like faith no more and LOVE mr bungle. This album is not so much pattonesque as it is crapesque. I don't have a problem with weird stuff, like I said, Disco Queen and America aren't among the worst tracks, it's the dreary, boring clunkers like the first 3 and the last one along with the nasty raw production that makes the guitars and bass sound like they came from the white stripes and the keyboard sound like it came from Yes along with the insidious retro-prog influences that are something they managed to avoid on their first 5 albums to great effect. Yuck. I really don't know if this one even deserves another chance, but I'm waiting till I can read the lyrics either way.

It won't win them much of any new audience, because many of the songs honestly don't have anything interesting or strange about them. Like that first one that's almost entirely made up of boring powerchord riffs, or the second that's more of the same with a horrible emo chorus. Not to mention prog nerds tend to be mini-van driving christian dads who will all be deeply offended by A) the extremely prevalent profanity B) the extreme anti-americanism.

Not to mention prog nerds tend to be mini-van driving christian dads who will all be deeply offended by A) the extremely prevalent profanity B) the extreme anti-americanism.

i actually can't wait for them to hear it. call me sadistic. :lol: but yeah, i'm not feeling the vibe, musically or lyrically. i do give it to him for bitchslapping society, it needed to be done.

"Wankerness:
I'm a huge Pain of Salvation fanboy that was let down by BE in a big way, but this one makes that one look like a friggin masterpiece :(:(:("

Well actually, who are you to tell it´s not? I think Be is their best album.
here´s a little quote of a review that points out every reason from my view why i think it´s their best work so far.

"Be is a collection of contrasts, which makes it one of the most challenging records you’ll hear this year. It is brilliant, yet some parts are pure cliché. It is philosophical, yet some parts are utterly corny. It is deep, and serious, yet some parts are pompous and melodramatic. Those contrasts are deliberate, of course, but they’ll leave your head spinning.

The contrasts continue: There is excellent progressive metal, and there are down-home biblical blues. There is classical music and there are folk tunes. There are deeply philosophical voiceovers and there’s a silly skit with a boyfriend making puerile and inappropriate requests of his girlfriend while a radio talk show is playing in the background exploring philosophical issues (the contrast, you see!). There are power ballads, symphonic instrumentals, and traditional pieces. There’s a heavy Latin percussion passage, and spoken verses that border on rap. Classical instrumentation is never far from the surface, which contributes an important texture of credibility to the music, and there is a beautiful purely classical track starting with an interesting piano solo that builds into a full orchestral piece. It goes from baroque to blues, from hard rock to symphonic prog, and from gospel to country. And most important of all, thankfully, there are even a few tracks that will recall the band’s brilliant Remedy Lane.

And considering the band’s background it is interesting to note that metal is the style that appears least often.

The record starts with snippets of spoken voices, with a man and a teenage boy separately exploring their very existence. There’s a section that sounds like you’re in the National Security Agency intercepting peoples’ heartfelt prayers to an apparently unresponsive God. (Hi God, it’s me again, from Earth. I know you haven’t returned any of my previous calls, and maybe you’re simply not there – but …) There are radio newscasts, and counts of the world’s population at various times, and there is a thunderstorm.

Even though you’ve heard these types of inserts before, the collection of disparate elements here cannot be absorbed in one sitting. There’s so much going on in this CD that – rightly or wrongly –it is this range of elements that defines this album more than the excellent music itself.

Be is almost impossible to review accurately, and it is a fascinating listen albeit a challenging one. On the one hand, it may lack cohesion – yet on the other hand, there are flashes of genius that make it a must have for any adventurous listener."

musically i believe there has been more time put on this album than in any opeth album, lyricwise even more...
I cannot understand why everyone hates this album, but i guess it´s the contrasts even there. Some people call it a disgrace of prog, and others a masterpiece, wonder why... i hated Be at first, but the more i listened to it, the more i loved it... I´m not saying anything but try REALLY listening to "Be" a few times in a row, i think you will atleast have some inch of respect for this album and it´s huge efforts... so many people just listen to a few songs in it and give up... It´s a difficult album to get used to because it is so huge and because there are so many different music genres put in one album... you can´t honestly call it a shit album, because it does not deserve that in any way...

so basically you're saying that Be comprises myriad laughable, incohesive notions mashed together under a prog metal veil? god what's the maximum number of copies I can buy

sorry :( i wont change it. heheh ok so i´m a drama queen. i´ve only heard america, and i think it´s a great song... great chord changes, and a powerful minimalistic song, not Be classy (yet anyway), but definitely remedy lane class.

Super lame, happy-go-lucky, no hooks, the vocal melodies sounds like something taken from a 80's 3rd rate cock rock band...it is crap imo

ps: I like some PoS