Pain of Salvation - Scarsick album cover and tracklist revealed!

Who is to say? It would have to one who is equipped for perceiving and judging the value-relevant properties of a work.

And where do you draw the line for people who have these perceptive skills to properly judge a work and those who do not?

Did you listen to the Octavarium album? That had very few solos. Also, my comment still stands on Zero Hour sounding NOTHING like Dream Theater.

Zero Hour is nothing like Dream Theater, there I agree. Octavarium is complete and total CRAP. Pain of Salvation is one of the best and most original bands in the metal realm right now. Their inherant flaws and pretentiousness is what makes them even better. The music has much more emotion because of it.

I wasn't saying if it was good or not, I was merely pointing out that Octavarium had very few solos compared to Train of Thought (which had way more than SFAM).

and what about tech metal? Pretty much the sole purpose of tech metal is to cram in as many notes as feasibly possible into a song.

The new Spawn of Possession manages to be wanky as fuck and yet decently catchy enough for me to enjoy it, not Gorod techy yet catchy but I still love it.

bands like Necrophagist and Spawn of Possession are far bigger wankers than Dream Theater

definitely

AND NOBODY BITCHES. not that I care since I like them all. but basically it shows the hypocrisy in metal. a band (Dream Theater) plays a bunch of solos and everybody shits their pants. Meanwhile tech metal and tech death metal bands are over there playing circles around Dream Theater and bands of the sort (in terms of the amount of notes and bpm) and everybody cheers and screams, "bravo!"

:Smug:

"And now we see the violence inherent in the system!"

Who is to say? It would have to one who is equipped for perceiving and judging the value-relevant properties of a work.

Which suggests that there are values a work should and should not possess in order for it to serve its purpose, and I do not believe that a universal standard for what art should be trying to acomplish can be established so I would argue with this idea.

From everyone I know who knows something about music theory that is the case.

Subjectivity dictates if someone likes the music, not if it is good.

but music theory itself is a construct rooted in subjectivity, it's not some kind of objective fact :confused: the idea of good practice in music theory derives from what sounds good to people