Pain of Salvation - Scarsick album cover and tracklist revealed!

They write excellent songs. They do have a lot of solos (like ToT) but they have produced masterpieces compared to PoS' song.

They write excellent songs. They do have a lot of solos (like ToT) but they have produced masterpieces compared to PoS' song.

They write shit songs, they are nothing but vehicles for solos. Pain of Salvation may not be as "technically" talented, but they possess more skill in crafting emotion into their music.

No it's not, since it's a matter of opinion.

Bullshit. There is a fact of the matter as to whether or not a band possesses poor songwriting skills. Calling it "a matter of opinion" is nothing more than a copout.

No, it really isn't. You can value guitar soloing very highly and think that it makes for great songwriting, or you can value disjointed compositions, etc. It may not be the norm, but there is no universal quality of 'goodness' in songwriting.

You may like/dislike how the songs sound, the techniques used in them, but there IS an objective way to judge song writing, and that usually begins with proper usage of music theory, or so I've found.

So basically what you're saying is that you know nothing about music theory but you're willing to bet that there is an idea of objective, universal 'goodness' in songwriting not in the least bit subjective and that 'it starts' with music theory, which you know nothing about.

So basically what you're saying is that you know nothing about music theory but you're willing to bet that there is an idea of objective, universal 'goodness' in songwriting not in the least bit subjective and that 'it starts' with music theory, which you know nothing about.

From everyone I know who knows something about music theory that is the case.

Subjectivity dictates if someone likes the music, not if it is good.

They have some good songs here and there, but I have no idea why they get the acclaim they do.

From everyone I know who knows something about music theory that is the case.

Subjectivity dictates if someone likes the music, not if it is good.

What is an example of a song that universally contains the characteristic of 'good songwriting?' And how do you propose to go about supporting this assertion?

No, it really isn't. You can value guitar soloing very highly and think that it makes for great songwriting, or you can value disjointed compositions, etc. It may not be the norm, but there is no universal quality of 'goodness' in songwriting.

Your conclusion doesn't follow. By parity of reasoning I could just as well say that since people at one time disagreed over whether or not Earth revolved around the sun then there is no fact of the matter about whether or not Earth revolves around the sun. But anyway, your examples of people making differing value judgments misses the point. The issue is clearly not one about what I like or what you like or what anybody happens to value. It's one thing to ask what somebody values and it's an entirely different thing to ask whether or not what they value is actually valuable.

Who is to say what is valuable in terms of good songwriting? I think that is subjective.

Who is to say what is valuable in terms of good songwriting? I think that is subjective.

Who is to say? It would have to one who is equipped for perceiving and judging the value-relevant properties of a work.

I really don't see how you can sit there and simply say that Dream Theater songs are just vehicles for solos. Scenes From A Memory is pretty fucking exquisite, musically.