Paradise Lost review on GLOBAL DOMINATION

I've only read the first few paragraps....but it already totally wins because of this:

"I think the best thing about this disc being released is certain French Canadian pricks will stop bitching about the lack of updates for the new album (those who need to understand this certainly will)."

:lol:

Although I feel that parts of the review are entertaining, and at times verge on well-written, I have to agree with what some of you are saying.

Personally, the combination of large, unshaven metal dudes and albums so good they "touch dicks" doesn't really sound like a positive.

And in the same vein...

It's very good to know that not personally enjoying certain aspects within a given song clearly make that song homosexual.

I had, until this point, figured that the technicalities of music were asexual. Man, I feel like a chump.

"Revelation" boring? hardly. I think that's one of the finer songs on the album. Killer beginning piano runs and riffage(and a real groove), multiple vocal verses, an awesone middle section, and arguably one of the best choruses right up there with the best of 'em. [You know what they are].

I'd say this, the title track, and "Eve Of Seduction" are my favorites but it's so hard to pick favorites just yet as the entire album rocks.

Bottom line: just like every other SX album; EVERY SONG ON IT IS GOOD

"Revelation" boring? hardly. I think that's one of the finer songs on the album. Killer beginning piano runs and riffage(and a real groove), multiple vocal verses, an awesone middle section, and arguably one of the best choruses right up there with the best of 'em. [You know what they are].

I'd say this, the title track, and "Eve Of Seduction" are my favorites but it's so hard to pick favorites just yet as the entire album rocks.

you and my mum have the same taste in symphony x, congrats. :loco:

I just read a bunch of the comments from here to Doomsgay Sack on the phone and he is laughing maniacally. He just informed me (aka, I made this up) that the nay sayers will be tea bagged by his Gay Sack of Doom© this evening.

actually there were, the internet has been around for bare time.

edit: and i don't think that he even meant that their website looked similar to a website made during the 1980s, i think he was saying that aspects of the websites design are typical of 80s design.

Ah.... say what?

Anyways, I agree, first half of the album > second half. I like The Sacrifice though

First off, I want to seriously and honestly say thanks to each and everyone who checked out the review, regardless of feelings on it. However, as DeathisCertain pointed out, I have to make a few comments on some of the comments... it's my job :lol:

Oh, and by the way, I fucking laughed my ass off at the Doomsgay Sack comment. I'm soooo fucking stealing that.

A childish immature review....

Looks like you have a following.... Good for you!!

How was the review anymore childish and immature than your comment? Just because I drop the f bomb and don't use a thesaurus to write my reviews, it's immature and childish? I'd expect as much from a LTE fan...

Well that is not what I was expecting! Good Job!
About halfway through I found myself anticipating the release.
Can't wait! :kickass:

Thanks a lot. Glad you enjoyed it.

I've only read the first few paragraps....but it already totally wins because of this:

"I think the best thing about this disc being released is certain French Canadian pricks will stop bitching about the lack of updates for the new album (those who need to understand this certainly will)."

:lol:

Heh, I thought that was neat too. It was a comment made out of love :oops:

Although I feel that parts of the review are entertaining, and at times verge on well-written, I have to agree with what some of you are saying.

Personally, the combination of large, unshaven metal dudes and albums so good they "touch dicks" doesn't really sound like a positive.

And in the same vein...

It's very good to know that not personally enjoying certain aspects within a given song clearly make that song homosexual.

I had, until this point, figured that the technicalities of music were asexual. Man, I feel like a chump.

"Touching dicks" was not meant to be positive, though i think it's cute that you took my comment about it sounding like Stratovarius as a good thing.

Pretty boring song man. The riff is too stiff and rigid feeling and the chorus is terrible. It has its moments though. I made the comment to Iced Dog (I think) that there are no really terrible songs on this album, but a few songs I wouldn't add to a playlist or compilation cd.

This review sounds like it was written by somebody who shouldn't be writing a review for it.

Care to elaborate? I am curious to know what you feel qualifies someone to be worthy of writing a review for the album. And I'm totally serious here. I mean, I can understand that I would seem completely unqualified just because I've made nearly 3000 posts on this forum under this screen name in about a year and a half and 1700 with another screen name, flew to New York to specifically see them play, own (or have owned) their entire catalog at some point or another including the "Prelude" best of comp, have spent plenty of money on their merch (well over $100 at the first show I saw on merch alone)... my point is not to say who has the bigger e-penis, but what exactly makes me not qualified to write a review?

Regardless of all that, I write plenty of reviews for bands I don't like. It's an opinion that is published, and is no more or less valid than yours or anyone elses.

It works for me, I lol'ed all over myself a couple times.
I don't find anything "boring" about anything I've heard so far. :)
I also didn't find anything wrong with the mellower tunes.
So while there are a few things we may disagree about in regards to PL, most of the review was dead on...
Doomsgay Sack is STILL crackin' me up.

Great review. For the most part I agree with the criticisms. I can't get into Revelation either...for a long ending song called Revelation, I expected a nice album-ender like Rediscovery, but it's really difficult to listen to all the way through. Don't know what happened there, just can't get into it at all. I also agree with some of the other comments here that Paradise Lost and Eve of Seduction are the best on the CD. I really like the opener, then it transitions into "Set the World on Fire", and though the chorus in that song is pretty nice, I tend to skip ahead to PL and Eve of Seduction as soon as the guitar gets kinda repetitive at :48.

Sacrifice, I like the first thirty seconds. The rest, I don't know.

Care to elaborate? I am curious to know what you feel qualifies someone to be worthy of writing a review for the album. And I'm totally serious here. I mean, I can understand that I would seem completely unqualified just because I've made nearly 3000 posts on this forum under this screen name in about a year and a half and 1700 with another screen name, flew to New York to specifically see them play, own (or have owned) their entire catalog at some point or another including the "Prelude" best of comp, have spent plenty of money on their merch (well over $100 at the first show I saw on merch alone)... my point is not to say who has the bigger e-penis, but what exactly makes me not qualified to write a review?

Regardless of all that, I write plenty of reviews for bands I don't like. It's an opinion that is published, and is no more or less valid than yours or anyone elses.

A lot of the review was well written, and some of the jokes were quite good. What I was refering to was just the fact that you said you dislike prog music, which is, to me, what SX is. Not liking something is one thing, but using that to take points away from an album doesn't seem right. Calling The Sacrafice "gay" seems like even if it was the best soft song ever written, if it has that "gayness=mellow" to it, you won't accept it as a good track and therefore take points off of the overall album. You also state that a few parts sound similar to some of their previous work, but that's the thing about prog, because in general it's so different than most music, if two parts are even remotely close, people say that they sound too similar. I'm sure a lot of the extreme bands you believe keep up with SX have way more similarities between their songs than SX do. I can't fully support my side of this because I haven't heard any of PL, so this is just speculation. Some of the review relies on strong opinions, which is what happens sometimes, but to me, a review should be from a completely unbiased approach... at least you specify that if you are a fan of the band, you'll love the album. You still did a great job, so I apologize for that initial comment.

A lot of the review was well written, and some of the jokes were quite good. What I was refering to was just the fact that you said you dislike prog music, which is, to me, what SX is. Not liking something is one thing, but using that to take points away from an album doesn't seem right. Calling The Sacrafice "gay" seems like even if it was the best soft song ever written, if it has that "gayness=mellow" to it, you won't accept it as a good track and therefore take points off of the overall album. You also state that a few parts sound similar to some of their previous work, but that's the thing about prog, because in general it's so different than most music, if two parts are even remotely close, people say that they sound too similar. I'm sure a lot of the extreme bands you believe keep up with SX have way more similarities between their songs than SX do. I can't fully support my side of this because I haven't heard any of PL, so this is just speculation. Some of the review relies on strong opinions, which is what happens sometimes, but to me, a review should be from a completely unbiased approach... at least you specify that if you are a fan of the band, you'll love the album. You still did a great job, so I apologize for that initial comment.
No need to apologize, i was curious where you were coming from and was making the point that i'm a fan of the band if not the genre. I don't apologize for my opinions, i see no reason why you should for yours. I don't hold it against you or anything if that helps you sleep better at night :)

I have to say i hate when people say that a reviewer should be unbiased. That won't happen ever. I'm biased because i like extreme metal in general and don't like "lighter" metal in general. There are exceptions to both though. In fact, i think i was incredibly bias towards this album because i still do love the band, just not the genre as a whole.

I REALLY need to stop defending every little thing i write :rolleyes: :lol: