• That's What You Get

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Ignorance

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Other (please post).

Votes: 4 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well I think people are going to invest a lot of time & effort into recording/mixing songs as a community project. I think it's probably wiser to venture out and include songs by different bands. So there's something for everyone.

well we seem to have enough guitarists, bassists and singers to do a whole album worth of material, It would be totally separate stuff (unless someone could do a whole mastering for all the tracks which would be nice, but not necessary) and everyone would be doing it out of fun and love for the craft so I don't see any harm. Yeah sure we could do a Nile Tribute album also why not, I'd love too, although that would take more time for learning the songs but that's not the point.

P.S. Seems like Morgoe is the only one who has the possibility of recording real drums, it would be cool if we could have at least 2 or 3 drummers who could do some real drums we could work on.

If anyones up for doing "Thats what you get" let me know.
I fucking love the idea of a Forum paramore tribute album. :p

I could give you a DI bass track for that song literally in a second, the song is so easy it's not even funny, and I already know it cause it's the first one we did in the cover band I'm in (it's the easiest so the first one we did haha), so if no one else wants it it would be a pleasure for me to the bass on that one

paramore cover frenzyyyy!!

+1 for a cover album. Cover, not tribute - That's too strong for Paramore :lol:

But i'd love to play bass/guitar or even ask a pal to record drums for this. I just dont know if i have enough time. But i'd love to mix something. Hallelujah, crushcrushcrush or Misery Business would rock for me.

I could give you a DI bass track for that song literally in a second, the song is so easy it's not even funny, and I already know it cause it's the first one we did in the cover band I'm in (it's the easiest so the first one we did haha), so if no one else wants it it would be a pleasure for me to the bass on that one

paramore cover frenzyyyy!!

yeah man if you get on it an let me know via a PM when you've got it, that would be amazing :kickass:

Honestly, if its 3 or 4 songs (I think decode, crush, let the flames begin, thats what you get), I can track and edit those all in a day easily. More than that and I just won't have time.

Also, its gonna get really complicated with that many people and that many tracks. 2 rhythms, + 1 or 2 leads + 2 cleans + bass + a few vocal tracks + 8 or 9 drum tracks per song with different people submitting, there'll end up being duplicates takes by different people, etc.

If we designate one person to be in charge of each particular song that'll work, and be fine (eg. Gareth or Slipkyes could be in charge of all the tracks for crush, I like Decode). But there's no way I'm going to organise 4 songs by myself, its a lot more work than I think some of you realise.

yeah man if you get on it an let me know via a PM when you've got it, that would be amazing :kickass:

getting it done this afternoon, I'll pm you when it's done

Honestly, if its 3 or 4 songs (I think decode, crush, let the flames begin, thats what you get), I can track and edit those all in a day easily. More than that and I just won't have time.

Also, its gonna get really complicated with that many people and that many tracks. 2 rhythms, + 1 or 2 leads + 2 cleans + bass + a few vocal tracks + 8 or 9 drum tracks per song with different people submitting, there'll end up being duplicates takes by different people, etc.

If we designate one person to be in charge of each particular song that'll work, and be fine (eg. Gareth or Slipkyes could be in charge of all the tracks for crush, I like Decode). But there's no way I'm going to organise 4 songs by myself, its a lot more work than I think some of you realise.

yeah i think it's better to designate different "teams" of people per song, could be 2 or 3 people doing a song. morgoe if you could do crushcrush and that's what you get it would be great, of course you can do what you want just saying that those are the songs I'm working with right now, and would be awesome to have real drums

so people, speak up and choose songs! I got Crush and that's what you get, if there is need for more I'll gladly do it (I mean on bass of course)

getting it done this afternoon, I'll pm you when it's done

yeah i think it's better to designate different "teams" of people per song, could be 2 or 3 people doing a song. morgoe if you could do crushcrush and that's what you get it would be great, of course you can do what you want just saying that those are the songs I'm working with right now, and would be awesome to have real drums

so people, speak up and choose songs! I got Crush and that's what you get, if there is need for more I'll gladly do it (I mean on bass of course)

I got my 2nd OH today, still waiting on my kick mic. I think I'm gonna just trigger the kick with my own sample, and use the kick mic as a snare bottom. Cos the kick mics have barely any bleed anyway, and samples are used so often. Then at least you'll be able to get a really good snare sound 100% naturally.

I'm happy doing drums for like 4 or so songs. I just don't want to be the one organising all of them.

@Fugazzi
Holy SHIT.

I think we should do Decode, Crush, Thats what you get and Let hte Flames Begin. I'm fine with all those drums.

Btw, I got my other OH today, kick still hasn't arrived. Was messing around with it a bit. Here are the files in case you're wondering what it'll be like.
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/324723/Drums.zip
OHs = PG81, Room mics are fucking $5 mics and sound like shit but so does the room. They probably clip/distort on the snare hits but you'll compress it so much you hopefully won't notice. Better than nothing. Snare is a 57, will use the kick mic as a bottom mic and trigger the kick when recording. Files are mp3s but shouldn't make much difference.

Everything is pretty poorly tuned and I desperately need a new snare head, this one is like 5 or 6 months old. I'll get a new one before tracking. But if any of you guys have comments on mic'ing or tuning or whatever feel free to comment. I will go for a slightly lower tuning but I can't with this head otherwise it just sounds shit (the head literally has a 3-4cm dent in the middle when you untighten it).

Edit;
Btw, I'll take a clip of an example tomorrow, but would you guys prefer unmuffled or muffled snare drum? This one is muffled, it kills the highend a bit so you have to EQ it back in and get more cymbal bleed. But unmuffled introduces some nasty ring that you have to gate/compress out, so its a tradeoff. I have noticed it on a few major albums though, like Nightwish's DPP and Godsmack's Awake. I think for this style muffled would be better especially after all the compression and saturation and shit that needs to be done. And there's really NOT much cymbal bleed in my snare mic, not even hats.

Ok, uni is finished and I bought a new snare drum head. I'm just waiting on my kick mic to arrive... before I start recording the drums.

I've updated the first post with song choices + contributions. Anyone who wants contribute, please post and say which song/instrument for.

For Crushcrushcrush, I really think the live version (Final Riot) is a ton better and we should do that instead. Past the first chorus its all the same I think.

i would do male vocals (obviously) for decode ;-) would be fun

but we'll have to lower the pitch, i guess ;-)