Parts in songs that reminds you of other songs.

Oh yeah, I read on here one guy saying that Bathory ripped off Metallica's For Whom The Bell Tolls.

I've actually thought this myself. I don't think there's any clear ripoff of FWTBT in any Bathory song, but when I try to think of bands who would have influenced Bathory, Metallica usually comes to mind, often because of that song. If you listen to the rhythm/drumline of some of Bathory's slower heavy songs, particularly "Home of Once Brave" or "Blood Fire Death", it sounds fairly reminiscent of FTWBT. Anyone agree?

I've actually thought this myself. I don't think there's any clear ripoff of FWTBT in any Bathory song, but when I try to think of bands who would have influenced Bathory, Metallica usually comes to mind, often because of that song. If you listen to the rhythm/drumline of some of Bathory's slower heavy songs, particularly "Home of Once Brave" or "Blood Fire Death", it sounds fairly reminiscent of FTWBT. Anyone agree?

:err: Blood Fire Death sounding like that song? I dont think so.

This is laughable. The ripoff is clear and blatant. I'm not sure why Quorthon did it but it was obviously intentional.

I always knew Holst was just some mallcore Viking metal wannabe.

edit: Perhaps your post wasn't actually a sarcastic attack on the thread, and you were referring to Bathory's "Destroyer of Worlds", which takes the opening riff from that Holst song (I think).

There's also that song "Hammerheart" off the Twilight of the Gods album, which is like a complete copy of some traditional (gospel?) song I don't remember the name of.

Are you joking or what? That one's composed by Herr Gustav Holst you know... Quorthon just added some lyrics.

Oh. I'd heard some other version of it once, with religious lyrics to it. I had to sing it in my elementary school choir class. :erk: I didn't realise that was Holst too.

Pretty much all of Dream Theatres songs remind me of other Dream Theatre songs but I think that is some deliberate thing in relation to quoting. Other then that, every new metalcore band coming out of America reminds me of As I lay dying

Iron Maiden almost ripped off the intro to Judas Priest's Running Wild with the beginning of Wicker Man. The chord progression is altered slightly, though the rhythm is still the same. Of course, a friend of mine who's a huge Iron Maiden fan and never heard Priest thought that Priest was ripping off Maiden until I pointed out to him the material we were listening to was recorded at least a year before Maiden released their first album.

I always thought that sounded like an Iron Maiden song, but I could never think of what it was. Now I see it.

yeah i know atreyu sucks and their emo/metalcore or whatever, i dont really know. in flames is metal though and the two songs are similar. Thats all i said and i never said atreyu rullzz or anything. just chillax a lil

There are many...but just recently, I would have to say..

"The Main Monkey Business" off the new RUSH CD has the melody and riff of "A National Acrobat" from BLACK SABBATH.