Parts of songs that are just extra great!

2:50

2:30 though the riff that comes after is even better

15:40 in this video, second part of 'Den starkes rätt'

0:40

There's quite a few I can think of.

Some spring to mind immediately, a few other I will need to go and listen to the albums to find them.

Anyway, here's some Drums that make me shout "Hell Yeah!!" every time I hear them:

Fates Warning - One (from the "Disconnected" album)
The drums at 0:15 to 0:21

Fu Manchu - California Crossing
The intro to the song, about the first 12 seconds

Some sound effects:

Astral Doors - In Rock We Trust (from the "Astralism" album)
The crowd cheering and cannon sound from 2:44 to 3:02

Bullet - Roadking (from the "Bite The Bullet" album)
The car engine from 2:41 to 3:46

I love the part in Cirith Ungol's "Frost and Fire" from 1:09-2:37 during the extended instrumental break. All of the instrumentalists take turns playing the end of main melody and then that soulful guitar solo is just incredible. When I heard this, I knew that there was no turning back.

Iron Maiden - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
The melody at 8:51 to 9:10
Love this one, it's maybe even my single favourite Iron Maiden moment, and the lengthy build-up to it adds to the anticipation. It's not necessarily the tune itself, but rather the "sound" of it.

Metal Church - In Mourning (from "The Human Factor")

The chugging guitar riff between 3:55 and 4:04

7:00-9:13: When I think of the story this album tells and its tone, this song really should have been the final one. The last two minutes should have been the last thing you heard on Still Life. It would have been much better than slapping White Cluster at the end (I mean, it isn't bad but still...).

Awesome thread idea.

From 1:30-3:10. Makes me want to raise a sword atop a mighty viking ship and sail into battle.

From 3:00-until the end of the song. Sounds like a battlefield that ends in a climatic victory riff.

From 3:00-4:00. Arguably my favorite guitar riff of all time.

From 4:00-4:20. I fly through the roof every time my feet get wet too.

From 5:17-6:13. Mindblowing riff.

From 3:48-4:34. I know I've mentioned it before but this is likely my favorite solo in all of metal. Incredibly emotive and well-written.

From 2:32-2:43. It was a tough decision between this small section of the song and the closing riff, but I think this better represents the songwriting dynamics that made Sacramentum stand out among their Swedish contemporaries. It's hard to think of another extreme metal album that manages to sound simultaneously melodic and abrasive like this.

1:11-until the rest of the song. SO fucking heavy.

Last edited:
@Manic Ferocity You know, I've come across many BM fans who believe that Dissection was just generic melodeath posing as black metal (I know, hilarious) but the thing that makes the band so great is the fact that it's not just the sound but also the melodies that make the music sound the way it does. The Somberlain and Storm of the Light's Bane have this artistically-crafted and unique kind of malevolence to them which is why Dissection is considered so influential. I don't even know what the hell they meant with that statement. While being much more melodic compared to other BM bands, they still had that rough production quality that gave it its coldness.

Also, the main riff on Quintessence was one of the most badass riffs I'd ever heard. That's back when I was getting into Darkthrone (one of the few BM bands I enjoyed at the time) at 14. Awesome stuff.

Reactions: Manic Ferocity
I like some bands who border on melodeath at times but Dissection isn't one of them. They're a combination of black and death metal with some classic heavy metal inspired melodies thrown into the mix.

Sometimes I think "metalheads" who dismiss melody entirely will get bored and move on from the genre entirely in a year so.

Guitar solos starting 2:33, sounds like robots dueling, always lose my shit here.

And if the above is robots dueling, these leads starting at 4:11 are robots having a calm and reasonable discussion, surrounded by other high-quality melodies as well.

That really brief section from 3:06 to 3:18 is some of the fastest groove metal I know of, the whole song is packed full of changing rhythms but that brief section is the perfect intensity climax.

Godlike intro.

The ending of Zephyrus, incredible tension, and the heavy amounts of reverb almost gives it a proto-TRITSIO kinda vibe with that tremolo-picking + guitar harmonies. Individual song isn't on YouTube, skip to 14:04.

Reactions: Slayed Necros
You guys have singled out some of the peak moments of Irae Melanox for me. Decay in particular was the first song on that album I got obsessed with, specifically for that ending.