Perfect moments of music?

Lets start with Opeth...

The clean singing outro of moonlapse vertigo. Sexy.

and 5:30 till 6:28 of Baying of the Hounds

Totally rape Paatos at the moment so the outro of the song tea and the chorus section of 'wont be coming back'

An Obvious one but the chorus of 'Lucy in the sky with Diamonds'.

the whole of eva cassidys version of 'Fields of gold'

The chorus of 'In the White' by katatonia

The whole of 'the Battle' by Hans Zimmer and lisa gerrard

and the whole of danny elfmans 'Batman score'
The whole of 'Dream Brother' by jeff buckley

:erk: even though id hate to admit it, in Hypocrisys 'incised before ive ceased' song, at 1:18 that is the beginning of a perfect bit of metal.

affinityband said:
The chorus of 'In the White' by katatonia

I think the exact opposite. Imo In The White is one of Katatonia's big flop tracks, even though the album it's on is one of their better albums.

The bit that springs to mind (and I'll list several more later), is in a song by Tori Amos called 'Icicle', which is just Tori and a piano. Towards the end, the song bursts into life, as she sings:

I could have
I should have
I could have flown, you know... well...
I could have
I should have
... I didn't...

And then it quietens down again.

That passage, for me, is a PERFECT piece of music. Will post more later :)

daz436 said:
I think the exact opposite. Imo In The White is one of Katatonia's big flop tracks, even though the album it's on is one of their better albums.

:zombie:

How do you figure that? One of their BEST songs!

Of course, you're entitled to you opinion :)

But why the 'In The White' hate?

affinityband said:
I didn actually like the song that much until i heard it live. Now that was summin else.

Maybe that's what I need.

I loved it at first, and despite not overlistening to it - it got old very fast. It seems kinda out of place on the album too, it heads in a different direction while trying desperately to hold on to the old katatonia feeling, it sounds kinda sloppy to me now.

Arvo Part - Fratres for violin, string orchestra and percussion
Gil Shaham (violin soloist) and Roger Carlsson (percussion), Neeme Jarvi conducting Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra)
This recording is rather different from others and is highly recommended. There are 5-6 different arrangements of the work for different instruments, but the result is the most moving on this one.

Arcturus - Evacuation Code Deciphered at 04:39
The keys that come in after "We can live again... without rebirth"

Borknagar - Ruins of the Future at 02:25
That whole clean part rocks my world!

Borknagar - Colossus from 01:14 to 01:40
God I love Simen <3

Enslaved - Entroper
The entire song just blew me away

that's a few.

affinityband said:
the whole of eva cassidys version of 'Fields of gold'

Holy shit is that an awesome song or WHAT!? Sting's version is also incredible. I'd also go with Sting's Mad About You. I'd say maybe Porcupine Tree - Trains from the end of the 'intermission' style part, up 'til the end. In the metal sphere I'd say Tool - Euology from "You, claimed all this time, that you, would die, for me..." and Opeth - April Ethereal: "The rain was waving goodbye..." until the end. Absolute magic.

A "perfect" moment has to send chills up my spine. rock-based music doesn't usually do this.

Chaikovsky - Romeo and Juliet, Overture-Fantasy
after the big fanfare crecendo when THAT melody comes in. It does this thrice.
and
The verse of the hymn "A Mighty Fortress is our God" when you sing about Satan is always chilling and gr1m.

derbeder, laughol @ the multiple recordings, that is fuking class :kickass:

To throw in another Opeth one, Bleak at about 4:23, where the acoustic part kicks in after the verse. The whole acoustic part, Wilson's guitar solo and the "Help me cure you..." part that follow are all pretty much 'perfect'.

But well, actually the whole song is pretty damn good.

The Beatles - While My Guitar Gently Weeps
The whole thing is just too perfect.

EDIT: Oh, and in Master's Apprentice - when it transitions from electric to acoustic as Mike sings "into death." HOly crap. One of my favourite progressions of all time.

led zeppelin - the rain song: 2:50 - 3:20 (you all know this part)
yes - and you and i: 9:25 - 10:00 (maybe my favorite ending to any song)
the beatles - a day in the life: 2:15 - 3:50 (brilliance...innovation at its finest)
genesis - the cinema show: 2:00 - 2:25 (perfect beauty and flow)
scott walker - copenhagen: 1:00 - 2:15 (one of my favorite vocal pieces)
simon & garfunkel - bridge over troubled water: 3:20 - 4:40 (need i say more)
the beach boys - god only knows: 2:05 - 2:40 (vocal harmony on a whole new level)
king crimson - epitaph: 6:55 - 8:05 (groundbreaking epic rock art...pure perfection)

theres plenty more than that for me, but id be here all day trying to recall them all. what i chose was what i find to be some of the best "moments", "transitions", and "crescendos" in rock history. some of the most impactive and special for me at least...and probably for many of you too.