Periphery - Icarus Lives Rhythm / Drum Mix

Icee

Sep 22, 2010
Yeah, please give me some feedback on this mix. This is my first mix ever. It only includes the rhythm guitar parts/bass and drums. Mixed it on shitty monitors.

Thanks to shredder10 for his Periphery - Icarus Lives DI's.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11196562/Periphery Test Mix.mp3

BTW: I just noticed there's some weird shit going on in the high frequences... I will fix that later.

Please note that this is more a tone test too for rhythm and drums.

- Icee

The guitars sound very small and ratty, like they're played through undergained combo amps. Bass sounds raw and mono, almost like an acoustic bass. My advice? Use something different for your guitars. I can barely hear the drums themselves because all I hear is the overcompressed PSSSHHH-ing of your cymbals. Bring them way down and dial back on the compression and 'verb you have on them.

I think I will use a bit more distortion on the guitar and they re too small for me what did you used on the mix?

Thanks for the tips guys.

Drums:Superior Drummer with a lot of EQ on the Top/Bottom snare to get a bigger snare sound. And an external drum compression plugin to make give the drums more punch.
Guitars; Amplitube 3 - KEFIR (s-preshigh by Catharsis) - EQ: Low Cut (200), Mid Boost (800) and a boost on 1600.
Drums: Amplitube 3 - EQ

I will try TSE x30 and LePou's plugins.

this is played in the wrong key which doesn't help with the djentiness.

I agree with that, it's more just to test some guitar VST's and drum sound. I just don't understand because when I put the GAIN higher, it will get more screechier, especially with the TSE x30 plugin.

It sounds like you haven't enabled the impulse response. Check the kefir and make sure it's enabled or try boogex or some other impulse loader.