Peter leaving

wow, looks like opeth is literally mikeal with a backing band now since pete was the only other original member.

Im really glad i got to see them live before this happened.

The next tour is definatly a must see one though as it looks like it might be their last. I always thought the long tours were hardest on mike because of his family and such so if pete cant take it i cant see mike pulling it off much longer.

I respect the decision though and wish pete and the band good luck with their futures.

Judging purely on looks, this resembles the Burton / Newsted switch. Let's hope that's the only resemblence. I really liked Peter's ability to let the music do the work. He didn't need an in-your-face image. This new guy looks like he does.

I don't like it. Mikael - please tell us your thoughts!

Ah, cool. This is for the best, really. Not sure why so many people are distraught over this. Peter was a really cool guy but not much of a guitarist; his solos were always kind of meandering and aimless. I've seen him play live with Opeth 4 times now, and I've never been impressed by a single solo (some are quite painful even - Death Whispered a Lullaby for example, or the last solo in A Fair Judgement, which clashes pretty painfully with Mikael's excellent solos in that song). As a support rhythm guitarist he did a damn fine job, but any decent guitarist could fill that role. As a lead guitarist he contributed nothing worthwhile to the band.

That being said, Akesson is an excellent guitarist - he can play circles around Peter and should hopefully add a new dimension to the band that they've never really had before (i.e. a great lead guitarist).

Keep your [shitty] opinions to yourself.

It seemed Peter was not very musicaly creative and motivated inside the band, and he seemed to be a little miserable in Opeth from the interviews I watch. I wouldn't want to tour that much too, so I don't blame him all that touring can take your personal and social life away ,which can quickly lead to depression.

Keep your [shitty] opinions to yourself.

Ah shit sorry man, for a minute there I thought this was a forum intended for people to actually express individual opinion and the discussion thereof. Had I realized that it was actually a receptacle for the same sentiment to be reiterated ad nauseum I'd have just made another "OMG I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS IS HAPPENING MY LIFE IS RUINED BECAUSE PETER LEFT OPETH O WOE IS ME" post and let that be the end of it.

This has to be the worst thing I've read... since López left the band T.T
I hope Opeth will never stop being my favourite band of all times, and my model of life...

I'm really going to miss him. He's my favourite musician along with Mikael, and I hope he never gives up on his own, and have the rest and happiness he deserves. Opeth encouraged me to start playing the guitar 8 years ago, and I owe a big part of this to Peter.

I have lots of things I could tell, but don't want it to take too long ^^'
So, once again, thank you, Peter. I'll never forget what you've done for Opeth; we'll all miss you!!!

really bad the guy's leaving.. kinda liked him.
He was like 50% opeth's "opethism" alongside with mike.
Shure hope he'll do something special in the future.

This is a very sad day for me. I still cannot believe my eyes..Peter left Opeth..I will miss you, and I don't know if I will be able to look at Opeth with the same yesterday eyes. I will always remember that awesome December '05 show in Florence. Now that you left Opeth, those beautiful moments become more precious and I will enshrine them in my mind so much better. Simply, a HUGE: THANK YOU man, for the wonderful time you spent in this great band, and for the healing music you managed to create. The sound of your guitar will always reverberate in my thoughts.
This sucks, but if this is what you want, then this has to be relatively positive.
So, good luck man, I hope you will achieve all that you deserve.

Now I'd really like to read some Mikael's words about this, and about Opeth's future. I still confide in his brilliant mind and composition, but I'm sure it will never be the same without Peter.

Well, I must admit that I am shocked beyond belief. I never thought I would see the day! However, I wish the best to Mr. Lindgren in his future endeavours, and want to thank him for all the good times. :kickass:

Welcome Fredrik!

perhaps also this means the start for a less stable line-up in future years?

yeah i had that same feeling too. maybe opeth turns out to be an akerfeldt oriented band after all?..just like king crimson is fripp's band...or camel is latimer's band. and every album sounds so different yet are all good and innovative. maybe this can be the case with opeth? i wouldnt mind that, frankly

well Opeth surely isn't going to be anyone elses band. but yeah, i wouldn't mind that either.

p.s. DONT LEAVE US MARTON MENDEZ

OMG!!!! I'm STUNNED!!!!!!!!!!!! so sad :(
fuckin sad!!!!
opeth isnt going to be the same anymore... after 16 years!! that's the worst day of my life.
U gave me lots of inspiration Peter. I will miss u a lot! I hope we will hear from u............
oh god..... i think i'm gonna get wasted tonight to get outta sadness
good luck Peter!!! WE LOVE YOU!!

Also just wanna say thanks to Peter for being such a nice guy when I met him, I'll miss his playing and being in the band and wish him happiness and success in anything he wants to do. Peter, Mikael and Martin M were all the nicest musicians Ive met, it still sucks to see him go but whatever he wants is best.