Peter leaving

The most disappointing part of this to me is that Mike is losing such a close friend being in the band with him. Peter's guitar playing is something I grew to like, but it is no longer very important for the survival of the band. Mikael is Opeth, so as long as he is there the band will be strong.

I also want to address some stupid opinions, like how Opeth is now a corporation and not a group of friends making music and that now all the sudden their sound might change drastically from where they were going with Ghost Reveries.

First, you must have no idea what it's like to be in a band and to try and gain popularity if you think music isn't the first thing on Mike's mind. We got to read a letter written by Peter addressing his main reasons for leaving, but we don't know everything that went into that decision. He obviously enjoyed being in the band for 16 years and gained a lot from it. The person that said "Opeth the business" must not understand that being in a professional band is of course a business. They're still guys trying to make great music, but they want to make the best living they can as well.

Second point is short because its so stupid that someone would think now that Fredrik is in the band Opeth will change how they write and mike won't write 99% of what you hear. Mike is the band, don't expect great changes.

shredder.jpg

The most disappointing part of this to me is that Mike is losing such a close friend being in the band with him. Peter's guitar playing is something I grew to like, but it is no longer very important for the survival of the band. Mikael is Opeth, so as long as he is there the band will be strong.

You're probably right. However, the lack of two important members for a new album doesn't bode well, even if the vast majority of the songwriting is done by Mike. Having two members finding their feet in the band might lead to a drop in quality. However, hopefully (and most likely) that won't be the case. I'm sure Mike is up to it.

i have to admit though, im incredibly curious as to what the new album will sound like, im sure it will have a completely different feel to it

Aww man...this makes me a sad panda. :cry:

I understand how touring for 18+ months can do an number on one's mind and body. It seems like the stress alone could probably kill anybody. If you felt like your heart wasn't in the band 100% anymore, then this was probably a very wise decision. Time to move on to something else...

Nevertheless, the sound of your music is irreplaceable, and we're really going to fucking miss you, Peter!!!
:cry:

im just honestly shocked. Peter was once of the founding members of opeth. Jeez man i luv opeth but why cant they keep a stable lineup for a few years??

Honestly, I'm heartbroken, but it's his life and I respect him all the more because he saw recognised that he has lost his enthusiasm and quit before it could become a problem.

The best of luck to you in your endeavors, Peter! If you ever decide to play music again, I'll continue to listen and enjoy.

Jeez man i luv opeth but why cant they keep a stable lineup for a few years??
huh? they had a stable lineup for almost their whole discography, from MAYH to Ghost Reveries. they aren't a band who has ever had to deal with lineup changes as some sort of recurring problem, hence why Lopez's and now Peter's departures are such big deals. they're 2 people that were there in the main development and vision of what became post-Morningrise Opeth. 2 very distinguished members and personalities. it's weird to imagine going to an Opeth show and not seeing Peter on stage.

That is shitty news..but I'm sure Peter had a good reason to leave..he definitely left his mark of talent on Opeth..I'll remember him as rhythm guitarist of Opeth forever..I hope this doesn't affect Opeth badly..