Peter leaving

F.U.C.K
Totally unexpected and clearely the end of an era (My Arms Your Hearse/ Ghost Reveries).

I hope the new guitarist has gotten his copy of Scott Walker's The Drift.

:danceboy:

It's sad to see Peter leave. Whilst there is some truth in the fact that there are more technically proficient guitarists around, it was Peter's unique style that contributed to what Opeth actually is today.

Of course Peter's departure and Åkesson's introduction won't radically change the band's direction or sound - it's ultimately up to Mike as most have already said. Undeniably though, it still somewhat cheapens the Opeth legacy in the eye of the public & long-term fans.

As unlikely as it is, I don't think it would necessarily be a bad thing if Mike ended up taking the Robert Fripp approach and turned Opeth into more of a communal effort - changing the lineup for each album. He certainly has the musical strength to make it work.

The new album should be very interesting.

Man this sucks, Peter was a fantastic guitar player and just seemed like an awesome nice guy. God I hope Mike can keep the Opeth sound with an ex Arch Enemy guitarist...completely different. Good luck Peter!!!!!!!!!

After I read this I wrote a bulletin for myspace. I thought I'd share it here for the hell of it. Here goes:

"For those of you who don't know-

It is with great sadness that I tell you Mr. Peter Lindgren has left Opeth.

He has left. After 16 fucking years he's left. Opeth's my favorite band, has been for years. It was tragic enough for me when Martin Lopez left the band. Now Peter has left as well.

This is Peter's official statement from Opeth.com:

'It is with sadness I announce that Opeth and I are going separate ways after almost 16 years. The decision has been the toughest I've ever made but it is the right one to make at this point in my life.

The reason behind this is that I feel that I simply have lost some of the enthusiasm and inspiration needed to participate in a band that has grown from a few guys playing the music we love to a world-wide industry. The love of music has always been, and still is, our motive, but I personally have lost something along the way. The massive amount of touring has taken its toll. Opeth has worked extremely hard to get where we are right now and in order to persist and maintain the quality of the music, it is necessary that we continue to work hard and always stay focused. But in doing so, it means that we nowadays spend 18 or 19 months on the road and I don't feel the same enthusiasm for the upcoming world tour that I have felt earlier. I have come to a point where I realize I won't be able to give the band 100%, and from both sides this will not be good enough for what Opeth stands for. I will always love playing, listening to, and living music, but I will do it differently from now on.

These years has easily been the best of my life and I will always cherish the memory of what we have experienced together. I would like to thank the band, our management, record label people, all the bands I've made friends with for everything. Most of all, I would like to thank the fans from the depth of my heart for the support throughout the years.

I wish Mikael, Martin, Per and Axe all the best and I am confident they will continue doing the greatest music in the world!! /Peter'

I feel the essence of Opeth is dying. As cheesy as it may sound... I think a part of my inner music enthusiast and what makes me so motivated and positive with my ambition has died.

He is being replaced by Fredrik Akesson, ex-Arch Enemy. While I'm certain he was chosen for his assumingly trusted ability to blend with Opeth, I can only hope he adds to the legend. Opeth is an entity, not a cluster of metalheads trying to make a wicked album to surpass the intensity or whatever the fuck of the previous album.

However regarding my initial reaction and obvious confusion-

I don't see Fredrik wearing bellbottoms, being inspired by 70s progressive rock or having an understated stage presence any time in the near future.

I don't give a damn about "change being good" or "new members bringing new elements to Opeth". Opeth is more than music, it's an established, respected, solidified and unique idea and being. I will always love Opeth, however I'm afraid the pedestal on which it stands will one day collapse.

I love the addition of Per, he has added a new facet to the music. However, taking away from what we Opethians have always known and loved about the band, I believe is an assassination of Opeth's signature character.

The overall picture-

I respect all of Mike's decisions, and am sure he puts extensive thought into his every next move. I have no doubt that the other members are also involved in the decision-making process. I'm not angry at Mike or anyone else in Opeth, I'm simply saddened by Peter's departure.

I respect and understand Peter's reasons for leaving, and am very glad it was a peaceful parting, as I assume it to have been.

I wish Peter the best and hope he continues to write and record some of the best material for all his loyal fans to enjoy, for many years to come.

To Opeth- I cannot possibly disagree with the reasoning behind this change, as it is healthy for both parties involved. I'm sure Peter's legacy will live on, just as Martin's. I wish you all the best and, as always, will continue looking forward to Opeth's future as a loyal fan and enthusiast.

Here's to everyone in the Opeth camp.

Best,

Shannon"

Jesus Christ! Opeth is falling appart. I can relate to Peters thoughts though, and I'm sure there's more to the story. It's sad really, I've always admired him for his politeness and his wardrobe (Opeth's best dressed). Plus a great guitar player. You've been a huge influence Peter, good luck man!!

Rob

Peter was a great guitar player live, and he proved he had balls to play those long Opeth songs with no pain, but Akerfeldt writes most all the music and its far from over because Mike is Opeth, and Opeth ends when Mike says so.

Fredrik is one of the luckiest guys on earth right now, and I hope he can contribute some cool musical ideas on the next opus. He did well in Arch Enemy, but I don't know how well his musical writing ideas are, maybe Akerfeldt will let him jam a little on the next album.