Peter leaving

Wow... I haven't been on the forum that much and just decided to log on (last night actually, I didn't feel like posting) and this really takes me by complete surprise. Peter was the last person I would think of leaving Opeth. He has been there for so long and now he is gone.

I completely understand Peter's decision to leave, seeing as I wouldn't be able to cope with 18 months of touring. It is also a great thing that he got out early before it started to take away from Opeth. Man, this is just horrible news.

I hope that the new guitarist does some justice and doesn't screw with Opeth's sound too much. He has one hell of a spot to fill, and I hope he can do it. Much luck to him on that one!

As much as I would hate to say it, I think this might make Opeth go downhill a little. I can see Mendez leaving too, but this is probably since I am looking at everything with a different, slightly altered view. Who knows?

Good luck Peter, we all will miss you. You have made a great ever-lasting effect on Opeth's sound and were one great, down to earth man. Hope everything goes good with you and the wife. Take some time off, you deserve it.

Good luck Fredrik and welcome!

it's from this artist/photographer named Charlie White. he did this bizarre series/book called Understanding Joshua, featuring this ugly-ass puppet in all sorts of weird social situations.

here are some more pics from the collection. it's hilarious stuff, truly demented. http://www.charliewhite.info/sub/work/2001.html

check out his other collections as well on the rest of his site.

also look up Matthew Barney's Cremaster series/exhibit for even more absurdity. or look up Chris Cunningham's Rubber Johnny on YouTube.

it's from this artist/photographer named Charlie White. he did this bizarre series/book called Understanding Joshua, featuring this ugly-ass puppet in all sorts of weird social situations.

here are some more pics from the collection. it's hilarious stuff, truly demented. http://www.charliewhite.info/sub/work/2001.html

also look up Matthew Barney's Cremaster series/exhibit for even more absurdity. or look up Chris Cunningham's Rubber Johnny on YouTube.

PLEASE stay on topic. thnX

[back on topic]

Why, Peter! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

thanks, I will!

somehow that picture is absolutely terrifying :lol:

I am very surprised by this news. However, I respect Peter's decision -- I can imagine that it was quite a difficult one. His performances with Opeth were always great, and on the few occasions that I met him, he was very nice, and seemed to have a deep respect for music, and for Opeth's fans. I wish him well, and am looking forward to whatever music he will be involved in next!

As for Opeth...I am not too concerned. They're great musicians, and have a high level of integrity. Also, although it is clear (and important to acknowledge) that other members have contributed, Mikael has been responsible for a lot of the songwriting. In any case, I'm looking forward to what will come next from Opeth. Support!

ohmy god.

I heared this devestating news two days ago.

I know no ones gonna read this, but anyway.

I don't think we will miss peter as a guitar player a lot. We'll miss him as a friend of the band, a good member, who was there from almost the begining, and on all of our favourite albums. He's opeth, not only the players techniqe makes the band. The people do to.

We will all miss peter,and I'm sad to see there are no original band members (original to me is from the bwp era and so on. The band members before aren't big characters to me (don't flame me for this.. I simply like the new stuff more)).

Goodbye dear friend

I don't think we will miss peter as a guitar player a lot. We'll miss him as a friend of the band, a good member, who was there from almost the begining, and on all of our favourite albums. He's opeth, not only the players techniqe makes the band. The people do to.

We will all miss peter,and I'm sad to see there are no original band members (original to me is from the bwp era and so on. The band members before aren't big characters to me (don't flame me for this.. I simply like the new stuff more)).

I read it. And I think I'm gonna miss his nice solos too.

No "original"(BWP->) band members? Ahem... what about Mikael and Martin Mendez?

Iwas in chock when I read the news....
I'm a bit afraid that this could be the beginning of the end for Opeth...with bandmembers dropping out little by little :-(

So far...This thread have 273...confused replies...9.965 confused views....

....hard to belive the news...:Smug:

PeterLindgren.jpg

to all of you who like me are stunned and saddened by peter leaving opeth, i'm here right with you cranking out "nectar"
to those of you celebrating the fact he's gone, berating his musicianship. saying that he's no better than any of you. you should all be ashamed. it's the same as if you spat in the face of a dead man. you people (and that's giving you far more credit than you deserve) should be ashamed. honestly how many of you are mikael akerfeldt? how many of you have been in opeth and can make decisions for the band regarding their personnel? how many of you have started out as a group of friends that have went on to sign with of the LARGEST metal labels on the planet?

if any of you fit the following criteria, i apologize, however, if you're a fan just like the majority of us, then please, JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Here here :kickass:

I read it. And I think I'm gonna miss his nice solos too.

No "original"(BWP->) band members? Ahem... what about Mikael and Martin Mendez?

Withour mike, there's no opeth anyway. And I'm talking future wise, considering mendez will leave some day. (Which of course I very very very much hope he will not)

Why are people taking it for granted that Mendez is going to leave? If he felt so much of an attachment to Lopez, he would have left earlier. He's been in the band for over a decade, i'm sure hes comfortable with his role. Also, his favorite part of being in the band is playing live, so the touring thing isn't a problem for him as far as we know.