Phil Anselmo and his drug-induced intersong rantings...

Utuk Xul

Demon Spawn
Feb 13, 2002
The 9th level of Hell
Visit site
Am I the only one that finds this highly irritating? When I saw SJR at the NJ metal & hardcore festival, half of the set was him mumbling about..something. I got a good laugh out of the white rappers being embarassing thing but that was about it. And then he proclaimed SJR were a superior band! Superior to whom? "Deathkids"? Give me a break. SJR is pretty bland in my IMHO.

I have seen Pantera in the past and he did some ranting as well, but he kept it sort of short, but now a friend sent me a review of a SJR show he attended - apparently this isn't an uncommon thing...

"Anytime one goes to see Phil Anselmo in either one of his new bands (Down or Superjoint Ritual), one can end up spending half the time hearing this shithead talk about utter nonesense.

This nonsense ranges anywhere from how fucked up he is, to how his band is the shit, to how everyone who isn't moshing should get their heads knocked in, to how true to the scene he is, etc.

Well last night at the Bowery Ballroom (7/21/03-NYC) was no exception. But this time, I was prepared to heckle back at Phil with some verbal retorts of my own.

Taking a cue from my friend Vlad, I peppered the small crowd with verbal barrages of my own. Everytime Phil would get on his soapbox, I would say:

"Play a song"

"Play a fucking song already"

"Keep talking Phil. Don't stop"

"Go shoot heroin" (he OD'd in '96)

"Pantera rules" (in response to his saying that Pantera is now part of his past)

"Fucking Hostile" (when he asked which Superjoint song
we wanted to hear...this is a Pantera song)

"Its oregano" (when someone passed a joint to him onstage. People actually laughed and he said, "What did that dude say? Oregano?")

I don't know if he heard or chose not to hear my heckling, but I made sure the fans heard it. In fact, that was whom I was really targeting. I wanted them to get over their hero worship of Phil and realize that he's a fucking idiot when he's onstage. You shouldn't have to pay $20 to hear him speak longer than he sings.

One cunt in platform shoes gave me a perplexed look, but I didn't give a shit. I'm hopeful most people were amused to say the least.

I have to say that when the band did play, they were spot on. The Bowery Ballroom has nice acoustics, and the band's bursts of raging thrash really came through. It was a nice punch in the chest.

While Superjoint doesn't have the groove or catchiness that Pantera had, they do make up for it in raw agression. I've gradually gotten to like their last album or at least the first 10 of the 18 listed songs tracks. After the 10th track, it all sounds like mush. The lyrics make less sense than Pantera's, but it still sounds great blasting out of your car or stereo.

One thing I found hysterical was the fact that Phil was peeved over the low attendance (I would say that the place was 35% full). He said, "I know its Monday night and everything and you people are down with us, but you gotta spread the word"!!!! He alluded to this low attendance again at the end of the show.

IN OTHER WORDS, WE, THE FANS, NEED TO TELL OUR FRIENDS TO COME TO THE SHOW AND BUY THEIR ALBUM SO WE CAN HELP THEM BREAK EVEN OR AT THE VERY LEAST, BUY MORE DRUGS!!!!!!

BAHAHA!!!!!
WHAT A SCUMBAG!!!!!!

At that point, I was so happy that the place was only 35% full! Shouldn't have left Pantera, Phil.

Heck, maybe if you didn't talk so fucking much and actually perform like you are paid to do....ah, try reasoning with a junkie.

To Phil's credit, I like the fact that he is proud to show the Stars and Bars, and that he is not inhibited by political correctness. In fact, the one thing he did say last night that cracked me up was "I want to see everybody go in a circle. None of this jumping up and down bullshit like a bunch of wiggers".

Okay, that was funny!!!

Also, Phil is a devoted follower of the scene and shows massive respect to all the extreme/underground metal bands out there (Darkthrone, Sarcofago, Carnivore, Agnostic Front, etc.)

Nevertheless, I can only take blind hero worship so far.

Its true that nowadays metalheads don't have many heroes they can rally around. Phil takes to that role with a lot of aplomb. But to constantly frustrate and irritate your fans with useless onstage banter is really a disservice to them and to the scene.

Maybe I'm getting my panties in a twist, but I really don't have the time or the money that Mr. Anselmo does.

Perhaps I should sneak in next time. Perhaps I shouldn't even go.

Kill your idols. "

Utuk Xul said:
Hope you didn't put too much thought into that. Fact is SJR won't be around too much longer since it seems like Phil is heading for another OD. Not that I wish it upon the man, but he should really clean his shit up.
Why do you care so much about SJR then?

Phil is a has-been. He's too stoned and drunk constantly even talk coherently anymore, it's pathetic. And by the way, I was at that first show you mentioned Utuk. I remember his little "we're a superior band" comment. No matter though, I was standing way in the back laughing about it with Gene Hoglan, so I didn't really give a shit.

Ignorant fool. Maybe you should start listening to music instead of spreding shit over message boards.

Wow, I must be dealing with a pro here. Listen buddy, I would much rather have my face bludgeoned repeatedly by a sledgehammer than listen to another track from that heroine-fueled redneck, Anselmo. The fact that you could even remotely admire such an imbecile indicates how much of a blatant moron you are, and forces me to conclude that your opinion is entirely worthless. Please, You might as well flush your hard-earned money down the drain before you consider paying $20 to hear Anselmo rambling on for half-an-hour about irrelevant bullshit only to be "rewarded" by the painfully-cacophonous sound of his shitty, simplistic hard-core band. Fucking idiot.

i love sjr, i like "use one and destroy" and "a lethal dose of american hatred" although people rant about how they arent really technical and shit, i agree, but i mean bower and bond know how to use and axe and hank can play a nice 4 string, and fazio on drums is amazing, a very good drummer. SJR is one of my favorite bands, i like their mix of speed and melody that you'll hear a few times on their cds like in the alcoholik and a few off the new cd too, but IMO a great band whose frontman should lay off the drugs and drinking, ill even admit Anselmo himself is on a downward spiral, but i think ALDOAH is a record that is worthy of following up UOAD, IMO

SLAYER85 said:
i love sjr, i like "use one and destroy" and "a lethal dose of american hatred" although people rant about how they arent really technical and shit, i agree, but i mean bower and bond know how to use and axe and hank can play a nice 4 string, and fazio on drums is amazing, a very good drummer. SJR is one of my favorite bands, i like their mix of speed and melody that you'll hear a few times on their cds like in the alcoholik and a few off the new cd too, but IMO a great band whose frontman should lay off the drugs and drinking, ill even admit Anselmo himself is on a downward spiral, but i think ALDOAH is a record that is worthy of following up UOAD, IMO

See, I have no problem with a statement like this. Even though I disagee, at least you were able to back your position. Congrats.