The demise of Pantera

NocturnalSun

The Dark Wanderer
I found an article on my local radio station's site www.kissrocks.com that made me both angry, but happy. Read on...

The February 2004 issue of "Revolver" magazine features an interview with former Pantera drummer Vinnie Paul, in which he discusses the demise of Pantera and his confusion regarding former Pantera vocalist Phil Anselmo.

Below is copied text from the February issue, on newsstands now.

"With the last couple of PANTERA records, we kept getting more and more narrow-minded because of Phil," Vinnie said. "He didn't want to experiment or take any chances, and it was like being in a tube that was getting to be so small you couldn't even breathe. Personally, I think the dude was afraid of success. He wanted to be such an underground icon that the bigger PANTERA got, the more he didn't want to be involved.

"I did everything I could to get the guy squared away so he could have a good time. We had already agreed to take six months to a year off anyway, because we had been doing this for 12 goddamn years and we needed a break. But next thing I know, he's off doing DOWN with [PANTERA bassist] Rex [Brown] and talking shit about us.

"Phil has no respect for anything and just perceives other people to be less than he is. After hearing him talking so much shit, I looked at [brother/PANTERA guitarist Dimebag Darrell] and went, 'You know what? I think this might be the end of this. We better start doing something, because the only thing we know how to do is play music."

According to Vinnie, Anselmo hid many things from his bandmates, including his appetite for heroin. It wasn't until 1996, when he overdosed after a hometown show in Dallas that the rest of PANTERA learned of his affinity for the needle.

"It was about 118 degrees outside that day, so I thought the dude had passed out from heat exhaustion," Vinnie said. "He was blue and medics were hitting him in the chest. Then they're saying it's a heroin overdose, and I'm like, 'Dude, you gotta be kidding!' Because he used to preach antidrugs back in the day."

"[In the years that followed Phil's overdose] he was very private about [the fact that he was using again]. I don't know if he was using the whole time or what, but it got to the point where I didn't know which Phil was gonna show up to the gig. One night he would walk in and be a fucking animal. The next night, I'd walk backstage and he'd be lying in the corner and he'd say he was tired. I will never take anything away from that dude from when he was at the top of his game, but where he's at right now, I think he's much less than subpar at what he does. I have a hard time watching him when I see him on MTV talking about SUPERDOPE RITUAL, or whatever they're called, and he can't keep his fucking eyes open."

Vinnie Paul's brother and former Pantera guitarist Dimebag Darrell further closed the door on Pantera's future when he talked with England's "Rock Sound" magazine and declared Pantera is Over!

Here's an excerpt from the "Rock Sound" interview:

"The question everyone wants to know is - Pantera, is it over? "Oh yeah, it's been officially over since our lead singer started announcing it from stages across the United States." Dimebag goes on to explain that "he threatened it before but when he started announcing it in the press and from onstage, that was when it became official. He never had the decency to talk to us about it. Nobody would return our calls so me and Vinnie just sat at home not knowing what the fuck was going on."
------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think about this? I personally am pissed royally at Phil. That stupid fuck was never that great to begin with, but this just reassures me how idiotic he really is. However, it's kinda sad to see Dimebag throw in the towel.

Yeah, Im still a huge Pantera fan. I also love Down but I must admit, Phil has officially flipped out. Watch the home videos. Notice Phil always goofing off and having fun. Watch him now, does nothing but talk about damn vampires and shit and acting all depressed. Of course drugs will do that to a man.

Man, that leaves me more sad then anything else. Pantera still is my all time favorite band and reading this shit that lead to their split just makes me sad.

I'll go on to listen to Down and The Superjoint Ritual, but I'm pissed off at Phil now; what a stupid motherfucker that guy is.

I'm looking forward to see what Dime and Vince are gonna do \m/.

They making their own band named Damage Plan which I believe their first album will be called New Found Power. But I really know nothing about it.

Just hope it's kick ass!

My days of Pantera adoration have been over quite sometime. It only seals my apathetic attitude for anything involving Phil Anselmo with his incredibly huge ego and moronic stage antics..the man has become an asshole of just ridiculous proportions..he thinks he is the savior and god of all that is metal..and that is just laughable. First and foremost I hope the heroin kills him real soon so none of us have to listen to anymore unintelligent horseshit spewing forth from his mouth..and secondly I hope Dime and Vince's Damage Plan goes over so well that Phil wishes he was back in the mix..

I think those MP3s are purposely bad quality so it doesn't matter if anyone shares them etc

Well i really hope the actually songs sound better than that anyway :) Also the singer does sound a lot like Phil, anyone else think so?

Soilent Goat said:
My days of Pantera adoration have been over quite sometime. It only seals my apathetic attitude for anything involving Phil Anselmo with his incredibly huge ego and moronic stage antics..the man has become an asshole of just ridiculous proportions..he thinks he is the savior and god of all that is metal..and that is just laughable. First and foremost I hope the heroin kills him real soon so none of us have to listen to anymore unintelligent horseshit spewing forth from his mouth..and secondly I hope Dime and Vince's Damage Plan goes over so well that Phil wishes he was back in the mix..

I agree 101% so I wont bother adding anything other than the fact that Pantera fans are the most ridiculous music fans in all genres.

ok check this out... new news, I just found it:

-----------------------------------------------

In a follow-up to Friday's Rock Report regarding the bad blood between the former members of Pantera, vocalist Phil Anselmo was recently interviewed by AbsolutMetal.com and here's an excerpt of the interview.

Sam: I know everybody has been asking you about Down and everything and you're probably sick of it, but I was just wondering if the acoustic album and the DVD are ever coming out?

Phil: "As long as we're entrapped with Elektra records, which we seem to be, I'm not doing another fucking thing for Elektra records unless they...they'd have to promise me...allot of money, real fuckin' quick, and a lot of promotion. And their gonna have to do better than promises, I want it fuckin' so to the fuckin' T, contracted to where they don't have the upper hand on the band. As they have in the past...I ain't doing nothing for Elektra records 'cause they ain't done nothin' for me but fuckin' waste my time. Aside from the other band which I ain't ever doin' nothin' with again...and I don't want to talk about it."

Sam: I figured that...any chance Elektra might release you guys so you could..

Phil: "You know, it's like... it makes me really wonder what kind of ego...and what the fuck did I do to fuckin' Elektra Records except deliver a platinum fuckin' record every fucking time. For them to hang on to my fuckin' career and all this fucking shit you know. Whatever, you know, play 'who's got the bigger dick' and, everybody knows I've got the bigger dick, you know, it's time for them to fuckin' chill out and let bygones be bygones. Let me fuckin' go on with my fuckin' life and I won't ever fuckin' bug you again."

Sam: How's the label been so far with Superjoint?

Phil: "Look man, I've gotta give all credit to Sanctuary because they are doing what they said they're going to do to a certain point. And they are the only ones that are fuckin' doin' it. Yet, I think they are understaffed, they could be bigger hitters. I don't think they know necessarily how to break a band, they know what to do with a band after their careers are over and shit like that, they make sure the product comes out. But that is not the fuckin' issue with Superjoint, I want Superjoint Ritual to be everyfuckin'thing that people maybe missed in Pantera. Because I knew that, you know, Pantera, not to talk about 'um, because I'm not going to, but if it weren't fuckin' for me, in that fuckin' band...what I fuckin' taught those motherfuckers. You know, you'll see on their new shit, the singer is gonna come out and imitate me, the best he possibly can. He's gonna have to end up singing songs that I wrote when I was fuckin' 20 years old, and their gonna sound like Diamond Darrell and Vinny Paul's killer sound, you know, they're not doing anything different. Whereas with Superjoint, yeah, we're doing something fuckin' different. I'm not saying it's never been done before, but what I'm saying is, is it's definitely a genre of music that changed my life forever. This is where I've wanted to be for so long, musically, you know, 'cause we've been writing Superjoint shit for oh god, since '93, and you know, long time coming man. I mean to fuckin' be with them, with this fuckin' band for damn sure."
-----------------------------------------------

jeez what a dipshit. He says 'fuckin' more than Joe Pesci ever did too...

You guys all make sense. But you know, I just can't talk like that. I miss Pantera, its not gonna happen but I want my Pantera, you know.

Fuck this fuckin' fucker...he cannot even fuckin' say one fuckin' sentence without fuckin' using the word fuckin'. Fuck him! :lol:

Anyway I don't care about him and I've neverliked pantera.

The people that say that Pantera sucks, don't know metal. Pantera made good music from the CFH album to RTS. And SJR is a great band, imo. Damageplan should be perfect for all the people that hate Phil.