Pantera

I always lol when people give them them crap for inspiring angry teenaged/tuffguy/etc attitudes in metal yet consider Exodus and Slayer to be great bands.

The only Pantera album that is really worth anything in my opinion is Cowboys. I've only heard a few songs from Power Metal but I would definitely buy a re-issue of it if one was released. Other than that, there are a few songs here or there that I enjoy listening to once in a while (Revolution is My Name, for example)

Shit band no fans. :p

One of KoRn's biggest influences was "Vulgar Display of Power." *shudders*

The only Pantera album that is really worth anything in my opinion is Cowboys. I've only heard a few songs from Power Metal but I would definitely buy a re-issue of it if one was released. Other than that, there are a few songs here or there that I enjoy listening to once in a while (Revolution is My Name, for example)

Vulgar Display may not be as good as Cowboys, but it's still pretty good I'd say.

I always lol when people give them them crap for inspiring angry teenaged/tuffguy/etc attitudes in metal yet consider Exodus and Slayer to be great bands.

Haha, good point.

Well, they certainly had more groove and the mainstream appeal with which to proliferate it on a massive scale than, say, Exodus OR Slayer so I'm not sure what his point is. KoRn and various other horrible bands aren't saying Slayer inspired them, nevermind saying that Slayer's best (great) material inspired them.

Power metal is a fantastic album I think, has a really unique sort of sound and loads of energy throughout. I also have a soft spot for Vulgar Display of Power since its one of the first metal albums I properly got into when I was a young 'un. Cowboys From Hell is great as well, cemetery gates is my favourite on there. Didn't think much of the others.

I agree that they are overrated in some respects but they put out some great stuff while they were around.

Too many people listen to that awful Nu Metal stuff. Its more towards a youth trend though. Alot of those stupid kids think they know everything about good music.

Pantera was awesome, great party band the concerts were fucking wild. I really liked Dime's crushing heavy sound, he wrote lots of cool riffs. The turmoil within the band broke their focus so they started going downhill, but they made their mark in metal history no doubt.

Cowboys From Hell is great as well, cemetery gates is my favourite on there. Didn't think much of the others.

Didn't think much of their other albums, or the other songs on Cowboys? If the latter, I think you're kinda missing the point of that album, haha. I can see the appeal of something like Cemetary Gates, but it seems better in concept than in execution. The heavier songs on the album, on the other hand, were superbly executed.

lol @ this early Dodens post on the first page:

ON SEXUAL “FINISHING MOVES”

Mine happens to be “The Hammer.” It have been asked, “Do you always employ The Hammer? What if your partner requires a softer tact?” And my answer: “I do no not stray from The Hammer. If she desires satisfaction, I suggest she condition herself to be satisfied by The Hammer.”

I take my inspiration from Satan. He is an “Eye to Eye Soul-Suck” man, without fail.

So people are hating on Pantera because they influenced Nu-Metal bands? WTF kind of bullshit excuse is that to hate on a band for? Why don't you hate on Black Sabbath too for being part of that chain of influence?

Granted I havent heard power metal... I hate pantera because their brand of "metal" grates my ears quite unpleasantly.

That, and the teabag darrel worship I have to hear about...

Cowboys and Vulgar Display of Power are both awesome albums but I really can't listen to Pantera anymore. The last time I was really into them I was probably 15. I'm 23 now and cringe whenever I hear a song.

Didn't think much of their other albums, or the other songs on Cowboys?

The other ALBUMS lol, that does look a little unclear. Cowboys from hell is great throughout, its the ones following VDOP that I don't think much of.

I've just thrown on 'Fucking Hostile' for a bit of nostalgia :headbang:

Cowboys From Hell is pretty good and I will listen to it occasionally. Everything else, not so much. I've only listened to Power Metal once or twice, though, so maybe I should try it out again.

Well, they certainly had more groove and the mainstream appeal with which to proliferate it on a massive scale than, say, Exodus OR Slayer so I'm not sure what his point is. KoRn and various other horrible bands aren't saying Slayer inspired them, nevermind saying that Slayer's best (great) material inspired them.

My point is that certain people like to associate Pantera with meatheads and blame them for making metal appear like anti-intellectual bro-fisting music to the mainstream world, yet they gladly listen to equally mindless Bay Area bands.

People shouldn't bitch about low-brow metal because, honestly, if all metal was intellectually challenging I would hate it. It's cool to turn off your brain once in a while. Besides, instrumentally, there's nothing "meathead" about Pantera; CFH and Far Beyond Driven being the best examples of complex (by groove metal standards) riff-age and drumming IMO.

I'm glad this thread hasn't been overrun by haters or crashed in flames like a lot of other Pantera threads here. I was kinda worried about that when I bumped it.

I have great nostalgic value tied to Cowboys From hell and Reinventing the Steel. For that reason they are the only albums I still own. I don't ever really listen to them but I do not want to get rid of them either.