Picture Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for posting those pictures up, phyre. :)

I realise they are not that bad if they are not viewed after midnight, like I did before. :s

The previous page I viewed and mentioned had the original painting only. Not the other pictures: they weird me out even more...

It's not really offensive (glad no one got offended :) )... just... creepy. Those two "children" if that is what they are (?) are really messed up looking. Look like they are dead...

well, the girl is some sort of wooden doll the size of a little child. i just can't make out what is it that she holds in her hands, and that's one of the two things i found disquieting.
the boy might be real, although he does look wooden enough. he's also menacing and he stands in front of the paneled door/window as if barring entrance, or possibly exit. the hands behind all seem to belong to little children, and they disappear in the dark. proportions suggest that no matter how many children are behind the dark door/window, most of them are not upright, unless there's a stairway leading down. but this might be disproved by some hands being almost at the boy's head level. the hands are the other disquieting thing i saw in the painting.

as for the comments about the children exiting the painting itself, unless it's all a scam i daresay the canvas is structured in order to give that impression. the boy being just on the threshold of the other door tricks the beholder's eye: one feels like he's going in/out of somewhere and the far end of the painting becomes the threshold between the painting and the real world itself. i think it's an often used trick.

rahvin.

well it's just a sad picture, I find any Friedrich paintings more touching, than this one, but well it's all about how the image creeps in one's brain!

I didn't see the pics, i will probably do it tomorrow, but just reading rahvin's post made me feel uneasy :err:

Originally posted by rahvin
well, the girl is some sort of wooden doll the size of a little child. i just can't make out what is it that she holds in her hands, and that's one of the two things i found disquieting.
Hmmm.. what about some sort of small, cylindrical battery with wires and terminals? It could make some sense, in the balance of oppositions the pic seems to be based upon, an electric power source held in the hands of a motionless puppet/doll. mh?

Alfred (hooked cloth :rolleyes:)

Edit: what are haunted7.jpg and hauted8.jpg, if not photoshop works (which for the... er... liability of the person creating that page I hope they aren't? :))?

Hmm... I first thought the girl was a weird artist's interpretation of a child. I didn't see the hands (didn't look long enough to see them, as the picture disturbs me somewhat...).

I wonder who painted it and what they wished to represent. I also wonder who bought it... I guess we may never know.

@alfred: a battery charger is what sprung to my mind (aaaargh! get off, you damn thing, ouch, ouch, no, stop it... ehm... :D ) at first, but i thought i was still shocked for having spent 25 euros on one last week. :) it's true that the girl/doll looks really "off", and her mysterious object gives off a definite feeling of "on", but insofar i've never seen a cylindrical battery charger with one single wire flailing around it.

@mousewings: my best and not-so-detailed (as of now) guess on what they wanted to represent is: a doll factory. and then some. but i'm not sure what.

rahvin.

@alfred: a battery charger is what sprung to my mind (aaaargh! get off, you damn thing, ouch, ouch, no, stop it... ehm... :D )
Try crossing the wires, it's usually convincing :D
and her mysterious object gives off a definite feeling of "on",
Er... her off you mean? :loco:
but insofar i've never seen a cylindrical battery charger with one single wire flailing around it.
Look at... er... haunted6.jpg, if I'm not mistaken (the zoom on the doll's hands anyway): the wires seem two to me, each one connected to one of the poles of the battery: one of them is not completely visible in the pic (it's the almost vertical one, and we only see the shadow of its terminal on the doll's dress), and it's connected, as far as I can see, to the pole in front of the watcher. The other one is completely visible, and it's connected to the second pole, which, from the pov of the watcher, is aligned to the first one (ie behind it), so we just can glimpse a tiny bit of it. About the shape... er, try for a mere moment to imagine the doll holding the average, squared, massive-looking car battery, then tell me what effect you think it would have done to the pic's "uneasiness-provoking" atmosphere... :rolleyes: :lol:

Alfred (what about the doll holding a cup of coffee? :D)

Well, at first glance i didn't find the painting discomforting at all, cause i expected worse :D
Now i start feeling a bit uneasy, but i'm almost positive it is because of all the fuss made around it :)
I didn't find the last two pics so weird, the most discomforting one imo was the close one to the boy's face :/
As for the wires and the battery stuff, i didn't look at it for that long, but i think i saw two wires coming from the upper end of whatever that cylindrical thing is :confused:
And thinking about Alfred's last post, yes, the cylindrical thing could be a "thermos" as we call it here, ie a sort of bottle that is made to keep coffee, water etc cold or hot for a long time :D

Originally posted by phyre
The painting is estimated to be from the 1920's or something. Battery charger? No. :p

this i found on another page:

On the artwork, painted between 1965-1975, the words "The Hands That Resist Him" are written in pencil across the back.

still kinda early for phone battery charger, i guess.

rahvin.

Maybe I explained myself poorly, and in the beginning I must admit, though shamefully, that even I didn't see it clearly, but the object is surely a condenser. And the cylindrical-bottlelike shape is exactly the standard one for condensers (which btw are a very old device, the first one (the firts intentional one, that is) was built by... er... Benjamin Franklin :rolleyes:

Alfred (so much for 1929 :p)

Hmm... I may be an uneducated vampire bat: What exactly are condensers? I am too lazy to look it up. :p

Edit: I found the meaning of "condenser". Nevermind. :)

I guess I am the only one who is very disturbed by the painting.

I just showed it to my mother. She didn't find it scary or even slightly uneasing at all... She said it was just a typical painting and was "okay".

I still wouldn't want that painting near me...

Edited for spelling and words...

i didn't think i'd find it dusturbing but... kids usually make me uneasy, especially those who look dead and with prosthetic devices. i hated all those little hands in the background :cry:

i'm not that tr00 after all
bored.gif

actually I thought it was a grenade....but well now it seems like one of those things to put hot tea on....
the look of the kid is so menacing, as if he would explode the whole world if the watcher ever dared to move...it might be misanthrope when kid ;)

fv

Another interpretation of what the doll is holding could be a water bottle... or a bottle of booze. ;)

Originally posted by FatherVic
it might be misanthrope when kid ;)
:lol: :lol:

I also think it could be David Gray (my favourite gloomy singer :D ) as a disgruntled child. That would explain quite a bit. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.