DigiPacks...

• Love'em... they represent a true collectible

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • Hate'em... their creator should be placed in a medieval torture device

Votes: 60 56.6%
  • Don't know... I am amongst the 6% of undecided voters every election season

Votes: 13 12.3%

• Total voters
But really only from a collertors point of view I guess.When I get a digi I out it on my computers,Ipod,phone and burn a copy for the car and really only get it out if someone wants to check it out.I love this question!!! Some hate them/some like them proably more people dislike them.But I think they're kind of cool..Just wanted to put 2 cents in...

Surprising results. I was expecting to find myself in the minority. I wonder if the labels who produce these, at what I would imagine is a higher cost to them, realize people don't actually like them.

Zod

Surprising results. I was expecting to find myself in the minority. I wonder if the labels who produce these, at what I would imagine is a higher cost to them, realize people don't actually like them.

Zod

C'mon Zod. You're being naive. The only reason a label would do anything would be if they thought they could get more profit. Digipaks have to be cheaper to produce. At least I'd think they'd be cheaper. They are just paper.

I want an option for "Fucking hate them!". I won't buy Rush "Snakes and Arrows" because it's only on Digipak. In fact, I won't buy any CD that's only available digipak. For all the reasons mentioned (mostly durability) I wouldn't buy a digipak if it was half the price of a jewel box CD.

I like jewelcases simply because the CD tower I use is designed for them. Digipacks don't exactly fit right.

I do however like what insideout records does with a lot of their CDs, with the jewelcase and then the slip cover over the jewelcase. For example, the Ayreon - "Human Equation" CD was done very well like this. Also, Tool did some pretty cool shit like this on their Lateralus album.

On another note, if bands got creative with their packaging, I bet they'd sell a lot more CDs. For example, Tool always puts some pretty cool packaging on their CDs. I also bought this german CD that came in a mini pizza box that was sized for a CD. Just cool stuff like that gets people to buy the CD rather than downloading it.

Zod

I'm guessing it's cheaper to make them. If you'll notice, at places like Wal-Mart a lot of the classic rock bands such as Def Leppard, Black Sabbath, and Van Halen have all re-issues in digipack form, which sells for around $6.99 per disc.

~Brian~

I much prefer jewels. I'll deal with digis, just hope teeth dont break. What despise are any kind of packaging where the cd sits in a sleeve. Like Masterplans self titeled LTD, the Evergrey LTDS of REcreation DAy, Inner Circle, Edguys Burning Down The Opera, that stuff. I can hear and feel the cd scratching even if it's the first time coming out, just the way that's packaged is dumb as hell.

C'mon Zod. You're being naive. The only reason a label would do anything would be if they thought they could get more profit.
I'm not sure how my post suggests a level of "naivete".

What I was suggesting was, labels put out DigiPacks to create the illusion of offering something special, so they can sell more product. My question was, have they misread the market?

The results of this poll, and the comments people have offered, would suggest there are a few groups of buyers:

1. People who perceive DigiPacks as having additional value, and are more likely to buy the release because it was packaged as a DigiPack
2. People who won't buy DigiPacks, even if that means not having the CD
3. People who wait for the jewel case release

If business has correctly measured this first group as being larger than the second two groups, than they're maximizing profit. If they've misread the size of these groups, than they may not be.

Keep in mind, while the costs of producing a DigiPack may be less than producing a jewel case, the costs of two different production run formats (most CDs released as a Digi, also get released as jewel) is going to be higher than producing only one. And if they're not selling more product because of the Digi release, and they're delaying cash inflows because a certain market segment is waiting on the jewel version, than they're damaging their business.

Zod

I dont care either way. Yes, the splines suck... but the artwork is typically pretty killer. I rip all of my cds to high quality MP3, and unless I have a problem... they stay in my cd rack until needed again. The wear is kept to a minimum.

I'm not sure how my post suggests a level of "naivete".

What I was suggesting was, labels put out DigiPacks to create the illusion of offering something special, so they can sell more product. My question was, have they misread the market?

The results of this poll, and the comments people have offered, would suggest there are a few groups of buyers:

1. People who perceive DigiPacks as having additional value, and are more likely to buy the release because it was packaged as a DigiPack
2. People who won't buy DigiPacks, even if that means not having the CD
3. People who wait for the jewel case release

If business has correctly measured this first group as being larger than the second two groups, than they're maximizing profit. If they've misread the size of these groups, than they may not be.

Keep in mind, while the costs of producing a DigiPack may be less than producing a jewel case, the costs of two different production run formats (most CDs released as a Digi, also get released as jewel) is going to be higher than producing only one. And if they're not selling more product because of the Digi release, and they're delaying cash inflows because a certain market segment is waiting on the jewel version, than they're damaging their business.

Zod

The problem is that a forum like this does not in anyway represent the general population. If the sole purpose of the digipack is to go after the "hardcore" market they may be incorrectly assuming that's what they want but the general population that still buys CDs likely doesn't give a crap as long as it's selling for $9.99 the first week at Best Buy.

The problem is that a forum like this does not in anyway represent the general population.
9 times out of 10, you're right in that estimation. However, when you're talking about something like how people feel about DigiPacks, I would think these results are somewhat representative. In essence, all were really asking is, do you prefer a plastic or a paper case. I don't think the fact most people here are more fanatical about music, should distort that somewhat basic question.

Zod

In essence, all were really asking is, do you prefer a plastic or a paper case. I don't think the fact most people here are more fanatical about music, should distort that somewhat basic question.

You're also assuming fully-rational behavior. If you made a poll asking "Is there any reason to drink such a large quantity of alcohol as to give yourself a splitting headache the next morning?", I'm sure almost everyone would answer "no". But then experiencing any Saturday morning at ProgPower would generate a huge cognitive dissonance: "but, but, they all said they didn't like hangovers!?"

My assumption is that the main point of digipaks is to exploit the "ooh, shiny!" effect. It's a way to get your product to visually stand out on rack of seemingly-identical CDs for sale, to better grab the attention of someone idly browsing. Once attracted by the bright shiny object, the buyer may temporarily forget about his complaints with the format and make the purchase anyway (especially if it has some junky "bonus tracks" thrown in). So the increased costs (and c'mon, digipaks have to be more expensive to manufacture, simply due to lower volumes) are really part of the advertising budget.

Nowadays, when racks of CDs for sale barely exist anymore, and when digipaks have nearly become "standard" themselves, there may be no more value in that differentiating effect. But I bet earlier on in the history of digipaks it made financial sense most of the time, at least if it was part of well-developed marketing strategy.

Neil

I'd suggest that unlike the "hardcore" market the general population is oblivious to the fact that there's likely to be two versions of packaging. I believe given the straight up choice of Digi vs Jewel cases even the general public would choose the jewel, given that the content is the same.

I don't believe that in their original concept as "Limited Editions" that DigiPacks are actually significantly cheaper. Those Limited Editions usually contained additional artwork and bonus tracks which add to the cost. In addition the cost of running a fairly small number of custom units is usually higher than the mass production of the regular unit. Those versions were clearly directed at the "hardore" market.

I don't know why they even exist. I don't see how Limited Editions would sell more product given the relatively small production. Anyone buying the album would buy the regular version if no DigiPack version existed. Not many people (The Metal Madman being a notable exception) buy both. Regardless of whether or not they misread the market's attitude towards cheap cardboard, they probably sell all those units anyway. Extra tracks are a strong enticement to put up with crappy packaging within this demographic.

It's possible that music companies have seized on the concept of mass produced cheap cardboard sleeves to re-release old albums, or have decided to release only cardboard versions of new albums sans extra artwork and tracks. In this case it's likely they're doing so to increase profit margin, and the general public will tolerate it.

I picked "Love 'Em", only because I don't exactly "hate" them. If there is a choice, and there is no extra material on the digi, I'll get the standard jewel...but digi's don't bother me.

It depends on the band. I probably would not have bought VoiVod's first effort with Jason Newstead if it was NOT in a digipak. That said, I have bought several bands CD's in BOTH digipak AND jewel...Nightwish's "Once", for example.

Yes, some of us, if we like the band, will buy BOTH versions.

I'd suggest that unlike the "hardcore" market the general population is oblivious to the fact that there's likely to be two versions of packaging. I believe given the straight up choice of Digi vs Jewel cases even the general public would choose the jewel, given that the content is the same.
Agreed.

Zod

I like DigiPacks.

1. They look cool if designed properly.
2. They don't have stupid barcode stickers to peel off.

Seriously, I HATE barcode labels that leave a sticky residue. It's the worst enemy of digipacks, so be careful when you stack up your CDs.

j/k as always Zod.
I didn't take it as an insult, just thought that was your observation. No worries either way.

My perception has always been that digipaks came along as a way for the label to create more profit for themselves (because they are cheaper to make). I guess I am so anti-record label that I can't imagine them making them for any other reason.
I always thought they came along to make people believe they were getting something special and would be more likely to pay, instead of just download. No clue which is right.

Zod