DigiPacks...

• Love'em... they represent a true collectible

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • Hate'em... their creator should be placed in a medieval torture device

Votes: 60 56.6%
  • Don't know... I am amongst the 6% of undecided voters every election season

Votes: 13 12.3%

• Total voters
That should be a cool enough reason to love them in this day and age.

Is the plastic used for a jewel case recyclable? I haven't looked for the "triangle of arrows" symbol to know for sure. But if they're not, then when the day comes that the jewel case goes the way of the cassette case, why add all that plastic to your local landfill? Why not actually try to make a difference?

I hear all the complaints....I've bitched at them too, but I vote for any packaging that is recyclable...

I'm all for recycling, but I want my CDs to last forever. Biodegradable is not a selling point.

I really don't like digis. Some look pretty cool like The Cure, Depeche Modes, Joy Division, and T- Rex I have but they damage way to easily. The new Anacrusis is awesome looking (by the way we will have them at the fest) still I prefer shellcases and never seeing myself releasing a digi.

I'm pretty sure you're talking about different things.

The one you're talking about is a box set:
angra1.jpg

The other one is the longform digipack:
angra2.jpg

The one I have is the bottom one which is a digipak. I'm not completely retarded :p

Looks like its going to Milt. Score bro lol.

I didn't read all of the posts so I don't know if anyone mentioned that they warp in the heat .... I've had to replace several digi-paks just from the heat alone. You live somewere hot, or your place is humid, and the digi-paks sweat just like you do .... except that a shower won't cure the digi-pak. :rolleyes:

One of these days you're going to come around to the true glory of Angra.

If it hasn't happened by now then I don't think it ever will. And I'm not holding against them what they did to her either.
But hey they are in good company I guess, I group them in with other nerve rack "progressive" power metal bands like Rhapsody and Kamalot, those bands I can barely tolerate... Not that I have not tried.

I used to like them, but now I don't have a preference. I don't care as long as the songs and content are the same.

It's a case by case thing for me. The last few I bought were nice (Pretty Maids, Astral Doors and Masterplan). I hate the ones that unfold into several pieces that I then have to figure out how to put back together (Hinder - Take it to the Limit and Ace Frehley - Anomoly jump to mind immediately). I don't want to be in danger of losing half the packaging every time I pull the disc out to listen to it, or need a degree in Origami to figure out how to fold the thing back up.

I like the ones that are hardcover bound like they're a little book, ex. Evergrey's "Recreation Day" collector's edition.

I had to answer the dreaded "C". The truth is, I prefer some jewel cases, but more often than not digi-paks and some I simply don't care. I wouldn't trade my Vanden Plas "Beyond daylight" digi-pack for a jewel case because it is actually much nicer than a jewel case (though it is the nicest digi-pak I own) and is hard coated cardboard on both sides with a nice booklet that is easily accessible. "Most" jewel cases are created equal, but not so with digi-packs. So while I am not truly "undecided"......... if I had to choose site unseen (which is more often than not,) I would pick digi-pak because I hate having to wrestle the liner notes out of the annoying half moons that are in the jewel case. I also tend to break the flimsy little "ears" off of the jewel cases and had some sent to me already broken, in fact. I seriously question the "durability part" of this thread as the jewel case being much more sturdy. I have cracked jewel cases by sort of throwing my thermos on them accidentally on the way to and from work if they are sitting on my front car seat.

Bryant

i will have to say that the ANACRUSIS reissue i just got comes in a digipack and for the first time i have found myself saying...there is no way they could have done this in a jewel case set and given it any justice. it's amazing, but again doesn't make me like them any less it's just theirs came out incredible.

i have even so far out of the way myself that i did a three set last year for my own band and we went back to the THICK double jewel case and had 20 page booklet as well as an o-card to cover the whole box. pretty pricey, but the fans loved it and loved that i was rocking the thick double jewel case since few bands/labels go that route anymore.

That's understandable. To me, it's like voting. On the one hand, it's just one vote (it's just one person not buying a digipak CD). However, OTOH, if everybody who didn't like them, didn't buy (or vote for some one) them, the (candidates) labels would get the picture pretty quickly.

I know I am digging up an old thread again, but I wanted to reply to this.

You certainly have the right to vote with your wallet, but personally, to me, there are far greater things that I am more concerned about than what kind of packaging a CD comes in. It does not matter to me one ounce if it came in jewel case or digipack. If I like the music enough, I am going to buy the CD - period. That is what I want to support or "vote" for - record labels and bands to keep making and producing the kind of music that I want to listen to and support. Now, it is another story if they try to DRM and Copy-protect it all to death. We've seen those attempts in the past and we all know where that eventually ended up. That is one case where people voting with their wallets did indeed work and sent a message loud and clear that kind of shit was not going to be tolerated.

Who buys these things?

If most people prefer jewel cases, why does everything seem to be in a digipak lately?

If this keeps up, labels should just get on with hi-res downloads already. ...Never thought I'd say that.