Poll : Whitesnake for PP Headliner?

Would you like to see Whitesnake headline ProgPower USA

• Yes

Votes: 26 18.7%
  • No

Votes: 113 81.3%

• Total voters
Harvester said:
There is a Whitesnake discography prior to "Slide It In" that a few of you need to revisit or visit for the first time.Glenn H.

So true. I revisited my past and picked up the 2 CD "Whitesnake Gold" collection (Geffen) of 33 songs for a road trip this weekend and was just so impressed with how many killer (legendary) hard rock anthems Coverdale has written for Whitesnake over the years starting in the late 1970s (not to mention his acclaimed contributions to Deep Purple in the late 1960s). Perhaps it's because I was born in 1970 and listened to all of this stuff growing up, that I'd be a bit more fond of it than today's teen and early 20s crowd. I can understand that.

Even if you are not a fan of Coverdale's work with Deep Purple and Whitesnake, you will have to live with the fact that he's influenced, and has the respect of so many metal bands today, including those who play ProgPower. I can't think of another band that has produced so many melodic, catchy, and groove-filled hard rock tunes - EVER. Hopefully the folks who have posted here won't have his catalog banned from Karakoe night. :lol:

An appearance by Whitesnake at ProgPower would have been a tribute to one of the biggest roots of rock and metal. I guess they wouldn't get that here - or at least from the PP crowd. :rolleyes: Actually, I didn't expect them to win the vote, but was suprised by just how sharp the criticism has been of them. I actually looked for a way to delete this thread, it was so embarrasing. Sorry David! :erk:

Sorry, you can't compare Whitesnake to Poison. :lol:

There is a Whitesnake discography prior to "Slide It In" that a few of you need to revisit or visit for the first time.

Oh yeah, those early albums killed, and I think a lot of people have sort of forgotten about them.

For the record, I love Whitesnake, and would love to see them live, as I've never had the chance.

dt

skeksis said:
what's ever been prog about whitesnake? no indeed.

Agreed. Whitesnake is a great band. Hell i grew up with Whitesnake. Been a fan for a long time, but the name of the festival is Prog Power...nuff said :Smug:

metalsped said:
Uhh..... "Prog" only encapsulates half the festival name.....

are you serious??? i had NO idea... none. i guess that makes whitesnake a "power" band in your opinion, so they fit? by zeus...

whitesnake is a legendary hard rock band, i don't think anyone is doubting their legacy, disrespecting coverdale, or trashing their music by voting no to this poll. to even suggest that is insulting. but the question wasn't "do you like whitesnake?"... it wasn't "would you go to a whitesnake concert"... it was IF you wanted to see them AT progpower.

hell, i'd kill to see bands like norther and kalmah tour the states... personal preferences there... but would I expect that to be at progpower? no.

create a poll that asks "do you like whitesnake"... and the voting of this poll most definitely is reversed.

Whitesnake is most definately a killer band especially live. Coverdale and Aldrich tore it up when I saw em with Dokken, and Coverdale still sounds amazing after all these years.

However its not a band Id expect or want to see at this type of festival.

Harvester said:
For the record:

David Coverdale is the greatest vocalist of all-time.

Whitesnake is the greatest hard rock band of all time.

There is a Whitesnake discography prior to "Slide It In" that a few of you need to revisit or visit for the first time.

You can relax though as I would not book Whitesnake for the festival because Mr. Coverdale deserves more respect that he would evidently receive here. Sad. (Keep in mind this is directed at those that do not have a clue as opposed to those that just don't have any interest or have actual points).

That is all.

Glenn H.

You're taste in music is the best I have seen. I agree with you about Coverdale and Whitesnake being great.

I :puke: at the thought of a band that has toured the US forever, with a huge top-40 fan base, playing at ProgPower. The thought of trying to watch a show filled with people who niether appreciate nor understand Prog music just turns my stomach.

Case in point: I was at Gigantour on Saturday, and there were a bunch of people screaming for Megadeth while Opeth was playing. Never mind the popularity of one band vs the other, it was obvious these people were there to see ONE band and fuck everyone else who wants to see ALL the groups on the venue.

So yes, I agree they are a great band, and yes, I followed them before "Slide it in," but I disagree with your reasoning for having them at the show.

All that said...I would still come if you had them there...But there has to be dozens of bands that deserve a shot instead.

Whitesnake has a great catalog from the beginning with the more blues rock to the present.

3DimensionalAperture said:
Point? Whitesnake aren't even close to power metal.

I think they are a heck of a lot close to power than they are prog.... was all I meant. Besides, this entire thread has gone over like fart in church. I say we let it die a pitiful, lonely death...

metalsped said:
Can't believe we dont have more Whitesnake love in here. How about this....

Would you like to see Whitesnake at PP in ANY slot?

I likes me a little Whitesnake from time to time, some great songs, but I definitely don't want to see them at progpower. Too generic and blues based in my opinion for the fest.

I guess I have to agree that David Coverdale and Whitesnake generally don't fit the Prog scene, but I'll also remind all that he was Jimmy Page's first pick for front man of a little known band "Led Zeppelin" before they found the wild man of the black bog. For this Mr. Coverdale has my highest respect, even though I cringe every time Con plays Slide it In (right to the top - <rolleyes>) :err:

A very good collaboration arose in the early 90's when David and Jimmy got together to record Coverdale-Page. Some even say this is what Led Zeppelin may have sounded like, although I argue they were both more mature artists at the time and so it's not a fair argument. I recommend this as well for curious listeners.

Anything that Coverdale has been involved with is gold to me! I agree that the Coverdale - Page collaboration is a great disc to own.

As for those of you that only want to see them with Vai and Vandenberg, I say get a clue! :heh: Aldrich and Beach are great fits for this new Snake lineup, but then again, some people would complain if Michael Romeo joined the band! :rolleyes:

Greykiller said:
You're taste in music is the best I have seen. I agree with you about Coverdale and Whitesnake being great.

I :puke: at the thought of a band that has toured the US forever, with a huge top-40 fan base, playing at ProgPower. The thought of trying to watch a show filled with people who niether appreciate nor understand Prog music just turns my stomach.

Case in point: I was at Gigantour on Saturday, and there were a bunch of people screaming for Megadeth while Opeth was playing. Never mind the popularity of one band vs the other, it was obvious these people were there to see ONE band and fuck everyone else who wants to see ALL the groups on the venue.

So yes, I agree they are a great band, and yes, I followed them before "Slide it in," but I disagree with your reasoning for having them at the show.

All that said...I would still come if you had them there...But there has to be dozens of bands that deserve a shot instead.

Should have said "NOT having them at the show." Oops.