Poser? Gimme A Break!

I wish I was going to Wacken, but alas, the finances are not where they need to be. I need to quit buying CD's damnit. Yesh, not much of a metal scene here in The Lone Star State. I think everyone thinks if you live in Texas, you listen to country music and ride horses to school and work.

haha! I suppose it an easy assumption however I have friends in TX and they tell me there are like 30 metal radio channels -I was dumbfounded- I only have one here and I would hardly call that Metal".
I hear ya Ebay is killing me- I spend somewhere around 300 per month on cds.. but I recently bought a burner and have begun trading cdrs.. its a lot cheaper and a lot of the music that I buy is rare and out of print so the bands arent getting proceeds either way.
My goal is to get to wacken sometime in the next 2 yrs.. I guess there are a few fests that would be worth catching over there.. bang your head" is another one. Somehow the Milwaukie metal Fest just doesnt appeal any longer.. although King Diamond may be at this years to promote Abby Pt2.. that would be killer!

I too am a metalhead without long hair... Admittedly, I'd rather have long hair, but thats by the bye...

I'll just second the comments about metal on the inside et al, as long as they don't look like some damn slipknot maggot... That leaves me damn cold.

Even if the person dressed up like a maggot was a beautiful young woman rushing over to give me a large cheque, a blowjob and a backstage pass I'd still have difficulties being polite... But I'm trying to get over that.

Milwaukee Metalfest sounds cool to me. I'd go just to go. At least Hypocrisy/ Soilwork are coming next month and in July I've got NILE/ Arch Enemy. Can't wait.

I here ya about Ebay. I just had to sell some of my stuff on Ebay to make money to buy more stuff from Ebay. I'll have some auctions running next week if you're interested.

I need to start burning stuff. Pazuzu is sending me a burned copy of the super rare compilation ABMS- Norici Obscura Mars. It was pretty cool talking to him

Excellent maybe we could send each other our want lists...
How is the new Arch Enemy? And, I have heard a lot about Soilwork but havent heard anything.. too much other shyt to get..how are they? Relate them to another band for me.. hopefully one i have heard. heh
Haha, I hear ya about ppl dressing as "Maggots" being offensive- I just have a hell of a time respecting or liking ppl into that scene.. terrible of me, I know--I tend to ignore rather than waste time on hating them.

Well first, check this out, it's alink to product for sale on Ebay. This CD is one of my faves, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=871069723

I would definitely look for reviews and mp3's before bidding, but damn that CD is good (and cheap right now).

Anyway, the new Arch Enemy is good. Not as good as Burning Bridges, but definitely better than Stigmata. That's my opinion.

Soilwork has never really been my fave band. They seem like a more tame At the Gates. I am not the best person to be talking about Soilwork. It's not that their music has anything wrong with it, but there is nothing compellingly right

Song titles look interesting - what genre would the album be?
and 99 cents cant really beat that-not that it will stay that cheap - i am sure... nothing ever does..
Yea im not into At the GATES-havent heard enough to make an educated analysis of why I am not.. but usually I like cleaner vocals... nothing pisses me off more than finding a cd with killer music but the vocals suck- and theres a ton of them out there!
So Arch didnt improve with the female vocalist eh>? Burning is the only one I have- I might check out Stigmata but its wayyy down there on the list- : )

I disagree with the new Arch Enemy statement. I think Wages of Sin is better than Burning Bridges. Angela Gossow is more aggressive and adds the final touches Arch Enemy were always missing. You can buy the supreme edition (double CD) at The End Records for like $11.50. It is easily worth that. I was skeptical of a new vocalist for AE, but I think Angela was a great addition to the band. Overall the album is tighter, more aggresive, and even darker at times. That is just my opinion, though.

The Golden Dawn CD you checked out is like a cross between Summoning and Hollenthon. But if you don't like rough vocals then steer clear.

Not into At the Gates? They are not my favorite, but when I'm in the right mood, they serve their purpose.

Npearce, many people share your opinion. To me though, every song sound the ame and the Amott bros don't show their skills like they do in Burning Bridges. Just my opinion

the best Arch Enemy's albums are Stigmata and Burning Bridges, tecnically speaking. And in the songwitting too.

Wages Of Sin isn't a bad album, but something is missing, the guitar work doesn't work like it did before. and the songs sound almost the same (except a coupple). On the other way is a little heavier than Burning Bridges, so the next one can be their best (really heavy and tecnically brillant, i really hope so).

the singing is pretty much the same. I'm really looking forward for a new singer change. Dont get me wrong, i like Angela but no for Arch Enemy. For a more death band she's perfect. But the melody in Arch Enemy needs a more expressive and versatil singer to me.

I agree with you on all points JJPlano.

Angela is a good singer, but she still is very monotonous as was Johan. ALthough, I am looking forward to seeing her in concert in July.

Just to go back to the original purpose of the thread, I think many metal fans adopt the image not completely for love of the music, but for a sense of belonging. Some also maybe to "fit in" or to be individual... which of course is bollocks as you aren't individual if you look like every other metalhead.

Basically it shows you are part of something you are proud of, as MM said for some it's a lifestyle, but that invariably leads to others adopting it for just the image etc. etc.

But that has little to do with anything, it annoys me when people judge on image, metalhead or not, and seeing the majority of metalheads claim image isn't important to them it just shows how it really does matter :)

As for my image, I wouldn't say I'm particulally metalhead, or much else for that matter :p But at the same time i dress quite extreme - normally I have a shirt (today with flames on :D ) and tie with some large trousers and boots (today these also have flames going up - newrocks rock ;) ). Which I'm happy with, and I think that's what's important, not what others think.

And I'm happy for several reasons, firstly I have very wide ranging musical tastes so I feel guilty wearing band tshirts which are invariably metal (others are too hard to get) when I listen to just as much non-metal as I do metal. Secondly I like people's innability to pigeon holes me as goth, metalhead, alternative, greb or whatever, and thridly because of that often people are often uneasy because of they can't just write me off as one thing.

And I should be revising hence me bothering to write all the above ;)

I wish I could go to Wacken. I will someday when I have the green to do it and when flying is a little safer (I hate flying).

I agree Godisanatheist, not with your monicker, but with your comments.

Hear i am in my office, in business casual attire, talking about metal. Wow, the lives we lead....

Originally posted by dill_the_devil
Great post Mountain Man, and I totally agree. Of course, I always go out in combats, spiked armlets, metal T-shirts, black nail varnish and so on

wow

you look just like me

I wish I could go to Wacken. I will someday when I have the green to do it and when flying is a little safer (I hate flying).

hehehe

getting my tickets v soon

This whole post is way to fucking redundant for me, every fucking board here has the same goddamned thread, who gives a shit what you look like, personally I have long hair no tattoos and no peircings, I wear black t shirts because my fav colors are red and black, always have been and always will be( although black is the absence of all color, bubububu), one of my best friends happens to be black, he looks like Tiger Woods and dresses like him also, but he is one of the biggest metal heads I have ever met and he always supports my band, I mean the guys favorite band is Morbid Angel, that is pretty fucking metal if you ask me. So in short, stop posting this fucking thread!

OK. I've been following this forum with some interest because Ive been listening to metal since the late 70's and attended my first concert in '81.

I have to agree with Metal Maiden 1777. Metal was and in many ways, still is very much about the image. Long Hair, Leather jackets were synonimous with heavy metal back in the day.

Now the image seems more defined by the genre....black metal fanatics wearing facial paint, death metal having long hair, tattoes etc.

I do think times have changed though and it's more acceptable now for short hair preppy looking people to see bands like Ozzy or Slayer than it was 15 years ago. If you took that image to an ozzy or Slayer show back in '82 you'd have been more scrutinized and perhaps looked down upon than you would be now.

Does that make someone a poseur? Certainly not. I'm 38, have two kids, short hair, a professional job and love metal as much now as I did back in '82.

Back in the day though Poseurs were people who liked a genre such as heavy metal just because it was the "in" thing with the group. In many cases it may have been someone who didn't visually fit the image of a metal head. (better known as S-t-e-r-e-o-t-y-p-i-n-g).

Yes, unfortuneately it happens all to often whether it be music, sports or life in general. Rest assured though Mountain Man, it's not you that has the problem, it's the minority who have a hard time dealing with the fact that music has become multi-culturered and multi-colored.

Long Live Metal

John
Underground Zine Scene fanzine
http://www.geocities.com/zinescene.geo
zinescene@Hotmail.com