Post-2000 Black Metal

Zephyrus

Tyrants and Slaves
Jan 18, 2006
Maine or Iowa
What's the best the third wave has to offer?

I'm set with Xasthur, Leviathan, Deathspell Omega, Nachtmystium, Blut Aus Nord and Nokturnal Mortum. What else?

I'm looking for albums specifically.

some of my favorites from post 2000

Hail - Inheritance of Evilness
Countess - Heilig Vuur
Megiddo (Can) - The Devil and the Whore
Faustcoven - The Halo Of Burning Wings
Morrigan - Headcult
Zemial - In Monumentum
Belenos - Errances Oniriques
Drudkh - Forgotten Legends
Inquisition - Invoking the Majestic Throne of Satan
Nifelheim - Servants Of Darkness

legion of doom - god is dead (2005)

it's probably best to list stuff that zeph has a possibility of not being familiar with

some of my favorites from post 2000

Hail - Inheritance of Evilness
Countess - Heilig Vuur
Megiddo (Can) - The Devil and the Whore
Faustcoven - The Halo Of Burning Wings
Morrigan - Headcult
Zemial - In Monumentum
Belenos - Errances Oniriques
Drudkh - Forgotten Legends

This.

But Primordial's Spirit The Earth Aflame, Storm Before Calm, The Gathering Wilderness, and To The Nameless Dead are there too with STEA being the best.

oh and I really think you should check out Windir, Zeph. They released their CD in the late 90s but I really think you would enjoy them. Try out Arntor

Primordial has been the one band this forum continually fellates that I haven't heard a single song by. It's about time I checked them out.

i think you will like them but they don't have much in common with black metal. epic as fuck and very emotional

A couple bands/albums that come to mind include:

The Ruins Of Beverast- Unlock The Shrine
Antaeus- Blood Libels
Katharsis- VVorld VVithout End
Eikenskaden- The Last Dance
Nocternity- Onyx

I like a fair amount of black metal that has come about in the last decade, but I'll just stick with recommending those few instead of listing a ridiculous amount of bands. Antaeus and Katharsis are more chaotic and atonal much akin to later Deathspell Omega, whereas Ruins and Nocternity have a much more crushing, almost plodding feel to them.

...And for what it's worth, I endorse Koude Haat's selections as well, really quality stuff.

+1 for negura bunget- om

the newest graveland is badass too.

oh, zeph, i just discovered this new band you'd totally dig. theyre called borknagar. you'd love em
~gR~

Hail - Inheritance Of Evilness
Negator - Old Black
Katharsis - VVorldVVithoutEnd
Marblebog - Forestheart
Ithdabquth Qliphoth - Ithdabquth Qliphoth
Sapfhier - Under Eternally Grey Skies
Hellveto - In Arms Of Kurpian Phantom
Silencer - Death - Pierce Me

The new Arckanum will be well worth your time when it drops in the US (as late as August iirc).

Mmm. I'm gonna have to agree with Dark Tribe, Negura Bunget, Drudkh and Primordial as well...all phenomenal bands

isn't Dark Tribe coming out with a new cd this year?

Negură Bunget are definitely worth checking out.

I'd suggest Angmar (Fra) and Leviathan (Swe), as well. Specifically, Angmar's Metamorphosis, their only full length and Leviathan's Far Beyond The Light, their only release.