2004 wrap up on Black/Pagan Metal (and its ilk)

I realize that, but the fact that it's not going to end up in anyone's top 10/20 this year is a real disapointment. And not because it deserves it.

Why aint you on MSN anyway?

Behexen's "By The Blessing Of Satan" is one of the best black metal records released this year. Raw, cold Finnish BM.

1349's 2004 effort, "Beyond The Apocalypse", is a million times better than "Liberation", and everyone should check it out.

One Inch Man said:
Drudkh and Hate Forest are great from this year
Did you know that Autumn AUrora and Battlefields really aren't 2004 releases? They were both recorded and released on tape in 2003. It wasn't until 2004 that they were released on CD.

Just my attempt to shake up some lists. :p

This is fucking ridiculous.

Okay now I don't care. I'm putting anything and everything on my list. If I first heard it this year, it counts as a 2004 release in this subjective reality. Looks like Kyuss is vying for the top spot!

Well, I could be wrong about AA, as both Librarius Metallicus and Metal Archives list it as 2004, but both of those sites list Battlefields as 2003.

It is weird, I have so many releases this year where the date is conflicting. I think before 2004 I had about 5 CDs where the year of release was a little confusing, now I have 20.

Of course, the focus on exact release year is sort of silly, what is this, the IRS?

well, I think being diligent about release dates when making year-end lists is important, if only because a previous year's release can alter the outcome. But yeah, in the long run, it doesn't matter.

Release dates have gone out the window at this point. There is "dilligent", and then there is "analy retentive". Otherwise Drudkh would have had two 2003 releases.

Absolutely, both Hate Forest and Drudkh are '04.

Decadent said:
I realize that, but the fact that it's not going to end up in anyone's top 10/20 this year is a real disapointment.
Says who? The Woods of Ypres is an exceptional record. It's certainly better than 90% of the other releases listed in this thread IMO. It's just not black metal per se....

Oh and if we're going to build lists based on what we're STILL listening to on a day to day basis, then my list contains nothing as it stands. :tickled: The only reason why some phenomenal releases take a backburner is because 3 billion new albums have been released ever since, and you try to give every release a fair chance.

Very hard to say, but at least these have visited my record-player often.

• Noenum: Black Esoteric Evangelium 10" (b&w-splatter-vinyl, ltd 666) Hammer of Hate HOH-002 2004
  • Satanic Warmaster: ...Of The Night 10" (ltd 500, lyric sheet) No Colours Records NC-073
  • Deathspell Omega: Si Monvmentvm Reqvuires, Circvmspice DLP (gatefold, poster) Norma Evangelium Diaboli NED-005 2004
  • Horna/Behexen split LP (gatefold, ltd 500) Grievantee Productions 2004
  • Pest: Dauðafærð 12" (insert) No Colours Records NC-077 2004

By the way, I fucked up a little on the Leviathan / Crebain split (it's just a black CD with no way of knowing what order the songs are in, other than these little 'logo's). Anyway.....HOLY SHIT! It's not the Leviathan stuff that's better, it's the fucking Crebain!

Woah, this is really good stuff, and this is the first Crebain I'm hearing....must get more eventually.

Erik said:
HOLY SHIT I seriously thought I was going insane for a few seconds, because that Väre avatar has NOT been moving before... CREEPY
It's always been moving. :loco:

Not mentioned yet:

Lunar Aurora - Elixir of Sorrow
Nocte Obducta - Nektar-Teil 1
Hordes of The Lunar Eclipse - Dancing Demons in the Grey-Lit Glade
Angantyr - Sejr

I REALLY need to hear the new Astrofaes album. Also, the new Enslaved is dissappointing, although I didn't like the last two very much either.

Doomcifer said:
I REALLY need to hear the new Astrofaes album.
Yes.

Also, the new Enslaved is dissappointing,
Just heard the first couple of tracks, and sadly, I agree with you. It just sounds so 'run of the mill'. :erk: Of course, I need to give it ample chance though.

although I didn't like the last two very much either.
No - the last one was very decent!

Hey, listening to the new Graveland..."Iron in the Fog" sounds brilliant. Not at all repetitive....