Post Rock? Mogwai? Explosions in the Sky? Help needed...

lizard said:
Mono - something about a flag or some shit
Evpatoria Report - Golevka (these guys are Swiss. I don't think they have a US distributor but I can't believe that will be for long. but I got my copy from www.sublime-mailorder.com in Germany, with free postage...I can't believe how responsive this company was with my order) one of the very hallmarks of the nebulous label "post-rock" is emotional intensity and these guys have it in spades. if anyone wants a track to listen to pm me an email addy.

Listen to this man!!!

...and obviously GY!BE

lizard said:
true. but given their only real antecedent, the Sugarcubes, were totally wierd, maybe its an Icelandic thing.

I guess I see pretentiousness as being a consciously willful thing, whereas eccentricity is something you just are.

I guess I've always felt it was on how seriously your intentions are.

If you're eccentric, and have fun with it, that's one thing.

If you're eccentric, and take yourself way too seriously, you ooze pretentiousness

but thats how I judge it, because I think pretentiousness comes off as a perceived opinion, so thusly the levels would vary from listener to listener in this case.

oh, and The Sugarcubes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.. sigur ros

yeah...but sometimes late at night I wake up in cold sweats thinking of
bjorkarrives.jpg

she scares me.

General Zod said:
Six and a half dozen of one, 78 of the other. There's a fine line between the two.

Zod

But sometimes the two are not musually exclusive, a lot of musicians can be eccentric and pretentious at the same time...how else do you explain Robert Fripp, Garm, and the Mars Volta? To keep this thread on-topic, I'll add Efrim Menuck's name to that list.

check out Bark Psychosis... their album from 1994 is what the term "post-rock" was coined after... they finally released a new album this year which is brilliant

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada.

the first track = post-rock

A mate asked me to explain to him what post-rock is about so I threw some stuff together:

http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2SEPSZKO8B00Y3MYMNQV8TO2X5

Thought some of you might like to fetch the file. Here's the tracklist:

Explosions in the Sky - First Breath After Coma
Red Sparowes - Alone and Unaware [...]
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - bbf3
Pelican - Autumn into Summer
Sweek - Microbacterium Leprae
Mono - Sabbath
Isis - Carry (he asked me if Isis were post-rock too, so I put one track so he senses the difference)
A Silver Mt. Zion - Take these Hands and Throw them in the River
Mogwai - You Don't Know Jesus
Rachel's - Esperanza
Sigur Rós - #8

Nice zip. I would have chosen some other tracks for GY!BE and ASMZ but this is fantastic enough .

Excellent selections, particularly the Mono (you could argue for a track with a feedback orgy in it, but Sabbath is simply beautiful), Explosions, and all three representing the metallic side of the genre. Sweek is the only one I'm not familiar with.