Post-rock

Dr. Joe

New Metal Member
Apr 19, 2007
Anyone here a fan? Bands like Explosions in the Sky, Red Sparowes, 65daysofstatic, Mogwai, etc.. Red Sparowes is one of my top 10 bands right now.

yea. By post rock do u mean like ISIS? or like post-pun lie joy divison and interpol? CHECK OUT INTERPOL I CAN NOT SAY ANYTHING ELSE ABOUT THEM BUT THERE VERY GOOD

Isis is sludge that's influenced by post-rock, Interpol is more indie-rock (and very good), and I can't really define Joy Division...

Check out Red Sparowes if you want some good straight-forward post-rock.

Isis is sludge that's influenced by post-rock, Interpol is more indie-rock (and very good), and I can't really define Joy Division...

Check out Red Sparowes if you want some good straight-forward post-rock.

Joy Division = post punk :cool:

I love Mogwai and Isis. Been looking to delve further into this genre, cheers for the recommendations. Any more would be greatly appreciated.

Jeniferever take post-rock to another level. That's the only recommendation you need. Listen to their track 'From Across the Sea' on MySpace and then post here what you think of it.

I love stuff like Sigur Ros, Mogwai, and Explosions In The Sky. I've never heard of Jeniferever before, but they sound pretty cool from their Myspace samples; I'll have to buy their cd soon.

Jeniferever take post-rock to another level. That's the only recommendation you need. Listen to their track 'From Across the Sea' on MySpace and then post here what you think of it.

Listening to it now, not that into it tbh. It's a bit too indie shoegazer-ish for me. I don't like the vocals much either.

The post rock I like the most is the more dark moody stuff that makes full use of dynamics. Last night I checked out Neurosis and Red Sparowes, liked them both very much. The new Neurosis track is great. I'll be getting the album for sure.

^ No, you just haven't been exposed to any good post-rock recently.

Of course post-rock has its crap third rate imitation artists, but so do all genres. The trick is to seek out the one or two lesser known bands that remind you what made the genre so appealing and special in the first place.

And if you don't like post rock at all...well, I can't imagine why you entered the discussion

I think post-rock has potential, but it needs to learn the art of concise expression. I don't have the patience to listen to 100 minutes of a double CD of Godspeed You! Black Emperor for one or two good ideas they had while seconds of my life are ticking by. Meanwhile, i'll always have time for something like Wagner's ring cycle which is 14 hours but uses every vital second to say what it wants to.

^ post-rock isnt a 'thing' that needs to learn anything. There are only individuals that make good or bad out of its potential. Who cares if 95% of those in the genre produce crap. If the remaining 5% make works of excellence then the genre is worthwhile and has life in it.

For the record, I agree that GY!BE don't get the best out of the length of their songs. I prefer post-rock tracks to be between 6-7 minutes in length.

I don't disagree. I don't care how long it is, as long as the length is appropriate and adapted to the content of ideas. Give me a concise and compact song which cogently expresses the post-rock ideal and i'll give it a spin.

I like the songs that are on Jeniferever's Myspace page. They sound really cool; in fact, I'm contemplating buying their debut album today.