Post-rock

I enjoy post rock every now and then. Stuff like:

MAgyar Posse
Red Sparowes
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Pelican

yay post-rock

Tortoise - Standards (2001)
Grails - Burning Off Impurities (2007... actually just released today and it's fantastic. these guys keep getting better)
Talk Talk - Laughing Stock (1991)
Yndi Halda - Enjoy Eternal Bliss (2006)
Shora - Malval (2005)
Hrsta - Stem Stem in Electro (2005)
Toe - Songs, Ideas We Forgot (2002)
Do Make Say Think - Winter Hymn Country Hymn Secret Hymn (2003)

there's some specific albums. also bands like Magyar Posse and World's End Girlfriend are of interest. i need not mention most of the more acknowledged bands

hibernal, 2 things.
1.) re: "Post rock is dead" - check out the new Grails album
2.) have you listened to all 14 hours of that Wagner composition in one sitting? c'mon now

everyone should check out This Will Destroy You. Good band from Texas (I think).

GYBE - yanqui UXO <3

and SHIT did no one mention MONO in this thread? COME ON GUYS! Do yourself a favor and get their latest. One of the best albums of last year IMO. And I'm seeing them again tomorrow night ^_^_^_^_^_^

65daysofstatic are amazing. I saw them last night actually, they put on a great show. Get the album 'One Time For All Time', you won't regret it! :)

To add my own recommendation, check out 'We Vs. Death'.

bumped

Favorite bands are:
Mono
Caspian
Red Sparrowes (saw this band live recently...Amazing)
The Besnard Lakes
The Pax Cecilia
Mogwai
This Will Destroy You
Godspeed! You Black Emperor
God Is An Astronaut
Eluvium
Hammock
65daysofstatic(new album is a masterpeice)
Pinback
Amiinea
The Album Leaf

Hello!
My favorites are Red Sparrowes, God Speed You Black Emperor, A silver mt zion. Someone recommended me Mono, which is very good as well.

and SHIT did no one mention MONO in this thread? COME ON GUYS! Do yourself a favor and get their latest. One of the best albums of last year IMO. And I'm seeing them again tomorrow night ^_^_^_^_^_^

Mono is amazing. Their song Halo gives me the chills. Would love to see them live.

As for my post-rock favorites:
God is an Astronaut
Slint (post-rock/math-rock)
Pelican
Paatos
Tenhi

thumbs up to most of the bands mentioned in this thread

ill do some spam and mention my band. we aren't specifically post-rock but are heavily influenced by bands such as mogwai, isis, explosions in the sky etc etc

www.sleepmakeswaves.com

I'm sure you don't need me telling you, but your band is awesome man, keep it up

anyways, the post-rock stuff I like is

Do Make Say Think
65daysofstatic
Explosions In The Sky
If These Trees Could Talk

explosions in the sky
godspeed you black emperor
mogwai
this will destroy you
sigur ros

all good post-rock bands. but explosions is the best out of all of them check out their album the earth is not a cold dead place

I think post-rock has potential, but it needs to learn the art of concise expression. I don't have the patience to listen to 100 minutes of a double CD of Godspeed You! Black Emperor for one or two good ideas they had while seconds of my life are ticking by. Meanwhile, i'll always have time for something like Wagner's ring cycle which is 14 hours but uses every vital second to say what it wants to.
Well said, Mr. Hibernal. I do like Neurosis and Isis. More Post/Metal than Rock, IMO.

post rock ?
post metal ?

that must be some stand up creative shit

cant wait till they create

post classical and post jazz

Hey, man Have you even listened to Isis or Neurosis? Try "Oceanic or Panopticon" by Isis. And the latest Neurosis "Given to the Rising" or "Times of Grace." Then maybe you can give an informed reply. Or maybe you don't give a rat's ass?

Look, its simple, I personally find all the recent need of catagorizing similiar types of music a joke. Now take this one "post rock" for example. Its got "rock" in the title, there by indicating that it is some form of rock. Then it has "post" in it, indicating that it is after rock, indicating that there is no more rock. Well this is news to me. Or does it actually mean there is a group of people somewhere leaning up against a post, playing their form of rock, but dont want to admit to it ? even though they indicate such by associating with the term rock but want us to know they came after rock... in their quest for a self important identity.

Look, its simple, I personally find all the recent need of catagorizing similiar types of music a joke. Now take this one "post rock" for example. Its got "rock" in the title, there by indicating that it is some form of rock. Then it has "post" in it, indicating that it is after rock, indicating that there is no more rock. Well this is news to me. Or does it actually mean there is a group of people somewhere leaning up against a post, playing their form of rock, but dont want to admit to it ? even though they indicate such by associating with the term rock but want us to know they came after rock... in their quest for a self important identity.
www.google.com <-- great invention that has the potential to keep you from looking like an uninformed retard, give it a try. :)