Post some clips of your playing

Damn cool stuff over here!!

Got some playing of me too, one small videoclip where I'm playing after a lot of beer (so don't blame me for sloppyness and bad timing etc., I'll record some of my own 'sober' playing later on :p) and 2 songs of my band Symmetry, I wrote the 1st one at home using Cubase.
Check the "Media"-section at my site :
http://frnk.tk

or, for direct downloads :

The video :
http://members.home.nl/frnk/Media/BeerplayingWMV.wmv

The songs :
http://www.xs4all.nl/~symmetry/music/dark_horizons.mp3 http://www.xs4all.nl/~symmetry/music/journey_into_the_unknown.mp3

Hope you'll like it ;)

grtz,

Frank Schiphorst

Hey, amazing stuff!

Well crafted and executed. Personally I would have let out the background vox in dark horizon's bridge part, for it sounds a bit too "nu" for me, but that of course is a matter of taste. Besides in the clean-guitar-part the first phrase your singer does sounds veeery Ozzy, strange enough only in this part. Well, maybe its the voice doubling.

Journey definitely shows some Fates Warning influence. I like the jazzy beginning and the chilled interludes.
Again, only for my taste some parts are a bit too long, but this won't led me to call your songs other than very cool. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Greetz to the Netherlands,

Kosh

Big thanx Kosh!!! Very cool to hear!!
About the Ozzy-parts : our singer tends to lower his volume in this kinds of parts while and that always get's him this distinctive sound yeah. But great you like it :)

grtz,

Frank

ambassador kosh said:
Listened to "The Silent Storm"
You recorded that with a mixer in your rehearsal room, eh?
Teh music itself is ok, though I ain't too much into this kind of metal and can't say much about it.
But I would try to work at the production. The guitars, for example, have too much bite, were they directly plugged into the recording device without a speaker simulation? Also I can't hear any bass, but that may be because you don't use any. Otherwise I would try to cut the low end of the guitars to let the bass have its own room in the frequency spectrum. To make the guitars fat, its good to record at least two tracks per guitar.
And maybe your drummer sould practice his doublebass a bit, to get the whole thing grooving.

Don't get me wrong. The Music is good, I'd like to hear more of that. And you definitely learn most with expirimenting with your equipment. So go ahead.

I hope this was of help,

Kosh

what type of music do you like and what do you classify mine as?

the production sucks cause my guitar was goign from amp line-out to mixer and we only had one mic to split between the other guitar and the drums. and there was no bass.
what should the EQ on the guitar be?

btw, me (guitar and growling) and the drummer did an opeth cover. its on the site called "Master's"
www.soundclick.com/withintheblackforest
its currently number 2 on the death charts.

Personally I'm into a lot of music from classical over jazz to metal, though I mostly listen to prog bands like Symphony X, DT or Spock's Beard. If I want it groovy some stoner rock, death n' roll (Entombed, Revolver) or older Tampa-Death like Obituary and a lot of other stuff.

I consider your musical intention more death/blackish, but I don't like too much music style classifications.

Ok, I listened to the master's thing. The production is better, there were more microphones I think, for the guitar sounds like a guitar this time. :)
Have you ever tried (if possible) recording not live but one after another with a computer or multitracker? That would make it possible to play some bass on it, which is missing in the song. Of course, you could try to add more bass to the guitars to have the whole frequency spectrum covered, but a bassy guitar isn't a proper substitude for a real bass.
About the guitar EQing: Good question, this always depends on the guitar, the amp, recording environment and a lot of other things, so I can't say a lot about that. Normally the guitar dominates the mids in the spectrum, but again this depends on your taste. Expirimenting is the best help.

Anyway, I don't know the original song from Opeth but your version is cool.
Still the bassdrum isn't always in time, which just kills the good groove.
Practicing with a metronome once in a while can be of good help to improve that.

Keep it up,

Kosh

@ \m/FRNK\m/ if that'S you playing drunk, erm then you could easily kick the ass of yngwie malmsteeen being not drunk / dry . awesome speed arppegios, damn so cool! very cool playing man!! :headbang:
could you please post the tab of the tap arpeggio about 0.45 ? that soudns so awesome :worship:

I liek the song of your band too! That kicks ass! cool guitar parts, and excellent vocals, really!! is that a steve vai signature u play there? :cool: cauz' it looks like this cauz' of this hole in the top.

you can find some demo songs from my black metal project at www.soundclick.com/norgathaal They're web mixed versions, (i'm still producing and mixing our demo) I had to keep file size and bit rate down on those songs to comply with the site regulations, but when did blackmetallers ever really worry about production anyway?

Ha, Im loving everything Im hearing right now. You are all extremely good guitarists.

@ wound; that solo stuff rules!!! It sounds very very crisp and theres some immense riffs!!!

I really wanna post a composition Ive just done for my music course at school... All the styles we could choose to compose on the syllabus were really boring but one thing said a "fusion" so I did a folk metal/neo-metal piece. I just dont know how to get it on the net unfortunately,

any help?