powerball rant

LSD-Studio

HCAF crusher
Jul 2, 2006
Germany
www.lsd-tonstudio.de
why do guitarists insist on using their own amp in the studio?
why is it in 80% of those cases the Powerball??

NuMetalband I offered them a '93 Dualrec..."no, our guitarist has a PB and insists on using it"....

I know, reamping and stuff,....still annoys me that Powerball-users are so in love with their amp....apparently just to justify that they spent so much money on a shitty muddy fuzzy amp....

did I mention that I Hate the PB?

/rant

If you can't get good tone out of an ENGL then the problem isn't the amp. When Powerball users include Soilwork and Chris Broderick, I don't think anyone has any excuse to get a bad or "muddy" sound.

If you can't get good tone out of an ENGL then the problem isn't the amp. When Powerball users include Soilwork and Chris Broderick, I don't think anyone has any excuse to get a bad or "muddy" sound.

I didn't say that I can't get a good tone out of it....done some quite decent recordings with one.....
that doesn't mean the amp is good, I can get a halfway decent tone out of any amp I think.

I just think there are WAY better amps than the Mudball ......but my main complaint is that someone wants "classic Nu Metal -tone" but insists on using a PB although I'm offering a recto:zombie:

I was the biggest Engl-fan myself, used, owned and played almost all of their models but still in my very own opinion the Powerball is the worst of all their amps and there are dozens way better amps for any give style (my opinion).

Can´t understand the hype of it either. The amp is okay, but nothing too special, imo.

Not a fan. Recorded one many times, and the band and I always opted for a Recto instead if there was one in the studio. You have to try a bit too hard to get a decent sound with it. Two albums that come to mind are Necrophagist's 'Epitaph' and Opeth's 'Still Life' neither of which have very remarkable guitar sounds IMO.

The Haunted's The Dead Eye was 100% Powerball. I have a feeling Fiction by Dark Tranquillity probably was as well, but I have nothing to back that up. I've never played one, and from what I've heard, it's not my favorite amp or anything, but it sounds pretty good to me, although the Savage 120 kicks the shit out of it. :p

Agreed. Savage is the most brutal sounding ENGL amp, and it just seems to work for metal really really well. I would buy one if there was any chance of sourcing it here for any half-reasonable price.

Not a fan. Recorded one many times, and the band and I always opted for a Recto instead if there was one in the studio. You have to try a bit too hard to get a decent sound with it. Two albums that come to mind are Necrophagist's 'Epitaph' and Opeth's 'Still Life' neither of which have very remarkable guitar sounds IMO.

Epitaph isn't Powerball, it's an old ENGL Tube Rackhead 860 amp. They use Invaders now.

Didn't know Still Life was Powerball, that's WEIRD that Opeth would choose an amp like that...

yeh im deffinatly gona have to agree with you guys on this one, saw an amazing band the other night with an awesome guitarist but i couldnt get past the fizzyness of the powerball it just annoyed the shit outa me.

One of the guitar players in my band uses a powerball and it is anything, but thin and fizzy. He cranks the mid pretty hard, keeps the gain way down and I think he changed all the tubes in it. It might take some work to get it to sound stellar, but it's def possible.

Both Scar Symmety albums are 100% Powerball

I thought they were Fireball, I remember there was a thread about it ("Scar Symmetry Amps" I believe it was called) in the standard section of the forum a little while ago...

And Kazrog, damn dude, them's fightin' words - I think we can agree Lasse here can definitely walk the walk as well as talk the talk!

Also, would you guys say that the Blackmore can be made to sound like the Savage? Cuz if it really is just a Savage with less features (and a way more feasible price), then I feel a GAS attack coming on...

The Powerball is an excellent live/rehearsal amp (probably the reason why it's so popular), but even though I own it, I don't think it sounds good at all for recording. It always sounds so processed and overgained, even with the gain at such levels that there isn't even any sustain :zombie:

I have heard some very kickass recordings with it though, such as Bulb's tone on the Meshuggah - Vanished cover clip.