Primordial - they deserve their own thread

I too heard a song from The Gathering Wilderness tonight. I need this album. I should join your evil webzine syndicate and review the promo when it comes. :loco:

as for your question:

http://www.geocities.com/blacksale666/

Katatonia / Primordial

Split-ep

10”

transp. purple

?

Misanthropy Prod. AMAZON010 80 (Euro)

[I'd buy it if I had a ton of cash with nothing to do]

Eventually , Erik was right , A journey's end is the best .
DVD quality = bad

unhinged said:
the gathering wildeness just got album of the month 9/10 in terrorizer

nice + a nice big pic of my cover
knew that was a good job to take on :)
And mighty fine it is...

tgw.jpg

Silly question, but I presume you had a chance to listen to the album before deciding on imagery etc. It matches it very well. I suppose you have a whole process here...

Good work!

ta
I started it before they went to the studio but I got to hear a rough mix before I'd finished
they had a photographic thing that they wanted to do but they couldn't work it out
but they wanted dark b+w to capture the atmosphere and there was a thing I'd done with birds before they liked so it wasn't too hard to come up with relative stuff
it'll be more apparent when you see the tasty digipack
pretty smooth job really, Alans pretty cool to work with
its good if the band know what they want

working on a few sleeves at the minute and theyre all very diferent
scald vermiculatus - very detailed digital painted stuff- brain destroying but worth it
got the movie part of this to make too
and another couple of scald things ;)

adorior- author of inscest- painted on screen again- extreme sexually explicit satanic madness

the clan destined- can't give anything away about this one but needless to say martin walkyier has come up with a great concept, this'll be cool

nice varied stuff the past couple of months, good clients
its good when they know what they want or are open to giving me some freedom
I reckon the primordial one could be good promo

unhinged said:
it'll be more apparent when you see the tasty digipack
I want one!

the clan destined- can't give anything away about this one but needless to say martin walkyier has come up with a great concept, this'll be cool
Totally forgot about this project - "can't give anything away", regarding artwork or music? Have you heard a rough mix of the album at all?!

JayKeeley said:
I want one!

er.... so do I
I haven't heard it finished yet

Totally forgot about this project - "can't give anything away", regarding artwork or music? Have you heard a rough mix of the album at all?![/QUOTE]

the only thing I've heard is the sampler track from the clandestined.com site
no vocals on it though
theres a bit of studio video too I think

I have heard quite a lot about it, whos on it etc
client confidentiality prevents me from divulging the info
trust me I'm a doctor :tickled:

review from Metal Ireland:

On first listen, “The Gathering Wilderness” comes as a massive shock. After the epic sounds of “Spirit The Earth Aflame”, and the ravaging aggression of “Storm Before Calm”, the eagerly awaited fifth studio album from Primordial succeeds in retaining their unique character: different though it most certainly is - but disappointing? Not a chance. Opening track “The Golden Spiral” starts with a striking, almost foreboding riff, hinting of the epic nature of what is to come. One of the first things that is noticed is the sheer weight of the sound, the guitars sounding warm and full-bodied, yet simply downright heavier than ever before. Those expecting the black metal vocals which dominated “Storm Before Calm” will be in for a surprise, as a new clarity renders the performance impassioned and highly captivating. Subtle layering of vocals adds to the intensity of the emotion on display. Lyrically, from the very start, it is clear that absolute desperation and profound melancholy are clear themes throughout, perhaps more evidently than ever in previous albums.

The title track is up next, slowing down the pace and is perhaps one of the saddest songs that the band has written to date. The sublime use of vocal layering, particularly noticeable in this track, adds an almost ethereal quality to the album, never becoming trite or clichéd. Whereas previous Primordial albums have set a tone and an overall pace, “The Gathering Wilderness” is anything but steady going - it is very much a progressive journey, with tracks varied yet continuity running throughout. As the title track folds, “Song Of The Tomb” opens with a striking drum intro and upbeat riffing. On first appearances, this song displays an almost more immediate Primordial than what we might be used to - straight forward, yet always striking vocals, and a more regular song structure. However, on each further listen, subtleties begin to reveal themselves and the song really starts to unfold. “Tragedy’s Birth” is also similar in terms of overall feeling and effort; an all out gutsy metal song which at times highlights an almost rockier side of this band.

“End Of All Times (Martyrs Fire)” hails another change in both tempo and tone - almost harking back to the sound and feeling of “Journeys End” with a hint of “Imrama” thrown in for good measure. Although the general feeling refers back to that of desperation and despair, it always remains epic, with the latter half speeding up to get the blood flowing once more. This is swiftly followed by a plaintivedepiction of the Irish Famine on “The Coffin Ships”, which mixes excerpts from a memorial at a mass grave with a haunting guitar melody. Primordial’s lyrics are beautifully simple and suitably tragic, and a fitting tribute to the vast numbers of lives lost and destroyed. In this song, history is made reality, and certainly, if a fan from another culture were to read the lyrics and actually learns something about this chapter in history, it can only be deemed a good thing.

A massive boost to the Primordial sound comes from the dual guitar lines which run throughout the album. Many bands often seem to insert these lines to break up the tedium of a long song, but not here. Each track has a set of wonderfully layered, interweaving guitar lines which really display the depth of the song writing process. The dual guitars pave the way for a rawer and more aggressive sound than the band has ever before displayed - with a new producer at the helm (Billy Anderson, whose past work includes Neurosis, Brutal Truth and The Melvins) and a change of studio, the Primordial sound has never sounded as fresh and exciting. The bass guitar has been turned up several notches, and more individual focus has been placed on the instrument compared to “Storm Before Calm” which adds to the weight of the album, without ever sounding overbearing. The drums have also become altogether more powerful and multi dimensional, adding to the sheer wall of sound on offer.

The album closes with “Cities Carved in Stone”, a reflective song full of bittersweet resignation culminating in the line “Who knows where the days go.. Would you ever want them back?” Simple, yet highly effective lyrics makes this perhaps the most effective song of the album, encapsulating the very essence of Primordial - they make music not just for musics sake, but set out to write songs with a genuine meaning and a message. There is not a single track on the album which is not stamped with personal feeling, empathy and emotion which is so sadly all too lacking in the music-as-product culture of today.

If any criticism is to be made on “The Gathering Wilderness”, perhaps the song order could have been better constructed to give a more continuous feeling to the album. Rather though, the tempo changes after almost every song; but this is a minor complaint at best. This is not an album to simply listen to casually for the want of a better word, as it would not do the songs themselves justice. The apparent immediacy of a few of the songs does not pigeon hole the band, but instead opens up a whole new potential audience. Those who are after an “easy” listen may struggle with this album. However for anyone with a true passion for music, this is a must and perfectly encapsulates just why Primordial are so important.

4.8 / 5 -Mark McGarry ::: 05/02/05

To me, this album sits comfortably between AJE and StEA. I haven't listened to it extensively yet, but I do know that it's a diversion away from SBC and back to something a bit more 'earthy', thankfully.

This and the new Moonsorrow are ruling 2005 right now.

Primordial slays. I got into them very recently and I've bought all 5 albums? already. Brilliant brilliant band.

Indeed. "The Coffin Ships" is the first nomination for songs of the year (and nomitated for songs of the decade, probably). Its feeling is undescribable. Overall the new album teaches how epic heavy metal must sound today. Amazing record.

Matt suggested that I buy Imrama when I asked which Primordial album to get, so I did buy it. I hope it's fucking fantastic. According to you guys, this stuff should the right my alley.

IOfTheStorm said:
Indeed. "The Coffin Ships" is the first nomination for songs of the year (and nomitated for songs of the decade, probably). Its feeling is undescribable. Overall the new album teaches how epic heavy metal must sound today. Amazing record.

"The Coffin Ships" quite possibly has one of the best CLEAN vocal performances I've heard in my entire life. If the passion right there doesn't raise the hairs on the back of your neck, then you are dead. Nemtheanga is a demi-god.

I'm getting goosebumps in anticipation for this album based on all this masturbation going on towards this album.

I still refuse to listen to a sample, so I'm guessing 'll splurge my load when I hear it. Only 12 days until the US relase, but I'm sure The End will get it before then.